Gem forward suite balcony restrictions?

trumpetfish55

42 minutes ago, bonvoyagie said:

The cabins directly under the bridge need to close the curtains at night and keep the deck lights off at night. 

If you don't, you will get a knock on your door from an officer who will ask you to do so.

No fear for star gazers northern lights aficionados - you can use the forward balcony deck just kill the lights.

It is the lights reflecting off of the white balcony surfaces that causes havoc (night vision problems) on the

command deck above you on deck 11.

During the day time look up and back from the furthest point out on your balcony and you will see the NCL officer

piloting the ship (you can even wave to him if you like).

But at night you can put together the angles of light reflection and get the message "No reflecting lights".

So kill shut off the cabin lighting when opening those curtains to take a peek or opening the balcony door

to step outside - there should be ambient enough lighting to safely step out to the balcony railing - watch out

for the deck lounging chairs table.

One other note "DO NOT USE FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY by camera or phone " !!!

You should know that the JEWEL class ships have a Bridge viewing room port side deck 11 forward at the end

of the passageway. Very interesting - this is as close to being on the Bridge as you are going get since the

BST (Back Scenes Tours) no longer visits it. Also at night the curtains are closed to prevent reflected light

from the passageway behind you.

Now don't be afraid of going out on your balcony in the dark - just beware of the blast of air that maybe or will

knock you over opening that balcony door - AND one other note don't open your balcony and cabin doors at

the same time - you will have one heck of a wind tunnel ! Ah er NO LIGHTS AT THE END OF TUNNEL ! LOL !

• Like 1

8 hours ago, trumpetfish55 said:

I was hoping someone could help who has stayed in a forward facing balcony suite in a Jewel class ship, are there any restrictions on the balcony with curtains closed at night, when you can use it etc? Thank you!

We've sailed in one (full transit of the Panama Canal), and it's awesome.  As noted above, the only restriction is that you keep your curtains closed at night to avoid light pollution in the bow, since the navigational bridge is right above you.  You are certainly permitted to use the balcony at night, but be very careful of the outer sea door. It's quite heavy; watch your fingers at all times, day or night!  (And, as @don't-use-real-name says, if you open the cabin door when the balcony door is open, or vice-versa, well, you won't make that mistake again! 🤣)

An added bonus of these cabins is the lack of light pollution at night.  The stargazing is incredible.   Weather permitting, we saw the Milky Way every night, and, in the wee hours before dawn as we neared the Canal, we even saw the Southern Cross (which, from the northern Hemisphere, can only be seen in the low latitudes); it was fabulous.

enhance

(photo by turtles06)

These are the best cabins for going through the canals, and coming into ports.

But most of the time when the ship is underway, its too windy to sit out and enjoy. Sometimes you will also be in the sun without any shade. And the wind-tunnel effect is very true. 
So its great for some sites, but we will not stay in one again.

• 4 weeks later...

I just booked the forward PH suite for the 11 day southern carribean out of ny. How rough is the sailing? I’m worried the first 2 days at sea and last 2 days will be difficult...

anyone info would be appreciated...

TIA

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ginapier said:

I just booked the forward PH suite for the 11 day southern carribean out of ny. How rough is the sailing? I’m worried the first 2 days at sea and last 2 days will be difficult...

TIA

You didn't say when you're sailing? The seas around NY can obviously be rougher during the winter due to increased numbers of storms. But you could also have a very smooth trip...it really depends on the weather when you sail. You also didn't say which ship, but they all have stabilizers designed to smooth out the ride as much as possible, and the crew will always do their best to sail around storms and in smoother waters. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ginapier said:

TIA

Assuming its in the winter it could be rough, then again it would be calm. My wife and I did a 14 day cruise out of NYC a few years ago in February. Three sea days down and three back. Going down the seas were flat. Coming back it was a completely different story. Seas and winds were so rough the last two days all outside decks were closed literally until we got within 10 miles of NYC

Edited by Laszlo

5 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Assuming its in the winter it could be rough, then again it would be calm. My wife and I did a 14 day cruise out of NYC a few years ago in February. Three sea days down and three back. Going down the seas were flat. Coming back it was a completely different story. Seas and winds were so rough the last two days all outside decks were closed literally until we got within 10 miles of NYC

thanks for the reply.. we leave 2/24 on the Gem .. my last cruise was the Bliss and breakaway so I haven’t been on a “small” ship in awhile... hopefully it will be smooth ...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ginapier said:

thanks for the reply.. we leave 2/24 on the Gem .. my last cruise was the Bliss and breakaway so I haven’t been on a “small” ship in awhile... hopefully it will be smooth ...

Jewel class ships are my favorite. The Spinnaker lounge it great and their is nothing like having breakfast or lunch at The Great Outdoors

• Like 1