Do we need a passport?

JEN5508

3 hours ago, mugtech said:

Don't have to renew my license until 2023, have no idea where my birth certificate is, take my passport with me whenever I leave PA, which is about 7 months a year.  Good for Maryland, glad it was so easy for you.

For Real ID documents I used my passport to prove US citizenship. You can take that instead of a birth certificate.  I brought that, my social security card and my vehicle registration. 

10 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Not really, as long as I can remember they required a passport.

This was a new email that I had never received before.  Have been to Martinique on a cruise many times, this one is a first...and is stated "starting with January 1st, 2020".  What do you make of this I received from Royal yesterday for my 2/1/20 cruise on Vision?  

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

We can’t wait to welcome you onboard our February 1st Vision of the Seas sailing. Before you board, we’d like to remind you to have your travel documentation ready. It’s important we kick off your vacation the right way, so below we’ve shared some helpful tips to get you ready.

Travel Documents

As of January 1st, 2020, all guests on sailings visiting Martinique will need a passport book (not a passport card) for boarding. Please be sure your passport book is valid for at least 6 months after the sailing ends.

Passport cards and birth certificates will not be accepted and may result in a denial of boarding for both adults and minors.

Then, be sure to keep your travel documents and SetSail Pass handy! You’ll need them from the moment you arrive to the port, all the way to boarding the ship, so you don’t want to pack them in your luggage.

32 minutes ago, island lady said:

This was a new email that I had never received before.  Have been to Martinique on a cruise many times, this one is a first...and is stated "starting with January 1st, 2020".  What do you make of this I received from Royal yesterday for my 2/1/20 cruise on Vision?  

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

We can’t wait to welcome you onboard our February 1st Vision of the Seas sailing. Before you board, we’d like to remind you to have your travel documentation ready. It’s important we kick off your vacation the right way, so below we’ve shared some helpful tips to get you ready.

Travel Documents

As of January 1st, 2020, all guests on sailings visiting Martinique will need a passport book (not a passport card) for boarding. Please be sure your passport book is valid for at least 6 months after the sailing ends.

Passport cards and birth certificates will not be accepted and may result in a denial of boarding for both adults and minors.

Then, be sure to keep your travel documents and SetSail Pass handy! You’ll need them from the moment you arrive to the port, all the way to boarding the ship, so you don’t want to pack them in your luggage.

It sounds like Martinique is treating cruise passengers like those arriving by air.  Most of the Caribbean islands treat cruise ship passengers as being "in transit" and don't require passports.

11 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

It sounds like Martinique is treating cruise passengers like those arriving by air.  Most of the Caribbean islands treat cruise ship passengers as being "in transit" and don't require passports.

Same as our requirements visiting NZ from Sydney...but I got this ominous email from Royal twice now in the last week pertaining to Martinique...nothing about the other islands as usual...just found it strange they are making sure you know about Martinique. And the statement about "may result in a denial of boarding" if you don't have a passport?! 😮 I am guessing that may be freaking a lot of pax out right now if they don't have one.  

No worries for us though, passports packed.  😉   

Edited by island lady

51 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Martinique and Guadeloupe announced the change in September. There has been plenty of time for the cruise lines to notify passengers affected and for those affected to get passports. Both are considered part of France, they are not territories.  They vote in French elections. France is likely behind the change. Can’t be a coincidence that both are actually considered part of France. Similar to Hawaii‘s status as a US state. They were never part of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative like a large number of Caribbean islands. Those two previously waived the passport requirement out of courtesy to the cruise lines. There are a few other islands and countries  that are not WHTI that also waive passport requirements out of courtesy. Those not in the initiative could decide to stop their courtesy but it’s not likely. 

Edited by Charles4515

23 hours ago, mugtech said:

Here in PA we do not have enhanced driver's license, must use our passports for any and all flights, even Philadelphia to Pittsburgh. 

You are confusing REAL ID and Enhanced DL.

Enhanced DL is for border crossing.

REAL ID is for domestic air travel and entering Federal facilities.

ALL states issue REAL ID driver's license.  Some states make them optional.

And any way, the need for REAL ID to fly does not start until 1 Oct 2020.  So no passport needed yet, your normal DL is fine.

On 12/6/2019 at 10:26 PM, KittenDad said:

No what is nonsense is to not plan for an emergency!  By your strategy getting hurt is rare so why get insurance?  Best to plan for situations yourself rather than rely on hopefully some "provision" will be made!  

The OP isn't asking what you think is right. Only what is required

On 12/6/2019 at 11:41 AM, Despegue said:

You will be going abroad, including the EU. Get that passport and avoid severe consequences in case of you having to disembark/ repatriate.

I sometimes really wonder why people are so reluctant to get a simple passport and in my opinion, Caribbean islands, especially EU ones should start to make the possession of a passport mandatory when visiting the island by cruise.

On 12/6/2019 at 11:20 AM, JEN5508 said:

Here are our ports:

Miami , Florida | Philipsburg , St. Maarten | Charlotte Amalie , St. Thomas | Perfect Day at CocoCay , Bahamas | Miami , Florida

St Maarten is not considered part of the EU. The OP would only be going to the EU, if he/she decides to go to St Martin 😉

Edited by darthvadrouw