LIVE From the Crown Princess - 10-day Southern Caribbean - Dec 7, 2019

CanadianBurger

I’ve been overhearing people complaining about losing WiFi and having to re-login constantly, but I’ve never had an issue at all. The Medallion apps have worked (even if I hate the UI of the event listings) and finding shipmates is hyper-accurate. There have been a couple of times where we must have lost the MEO satellites and the internet was glacial, but it always came back. Tonight it’s crazy fast for a ship. 

0F9439EF-8147-4A0E-9CED-2EA8FEA5B2BD.jpeg

Wow. This speed looks amazing! I have one cruise on ship of different company (preceding Princess Cruise) which usually has best quality of internet over all lines, but this speed looks even better. I had to choose on which cruise to have 1 work day. Now I think I should’ve picked Princess :)
Although there is another parameter I believe.. latency? I’m in IT, but not in this department.

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

Although there is another parameter I believe.. latency? I’m in IT, but not in this department.

The ping time is a measure of latency. It’s higher when using satellite communications like on the ship. You’d see a lower number at home. The down speed is slower this afternoon, probably due to more people online. Currently running about 8.5 Mb/s. Certainly adequate for most tasks. I’m also sitting on my balcony. 

CAB4E43B-1170-422B-AC1D-865433F2CBA5.jpeg

• Like 1

After dinner we went to see the production show Encore. This is one I haven’t seen before. In a word, WOW! The singing and dancing were spot on. The cast singing leads were amazing, and Princess also flew in a special guest soprano, Heather Lundstedt (she boarded in Curaçao). Her performance can only be described as breathtaking. The entire cast received a standing ovation. There were plenty of non-opera numbers, so even if you’re not a big fan of opera, you owe it to yourself to see this fantastic show. 

45 minutes ago, cruiselover05 said:

I noticed that the desserts are the ones they normally do on the last night of the cruise.

Do you know why the change?  Did they do the Parade too?

Yes, they did the Baked Alaska on Parade. Remember the old days when they used real fire? This selection is what I expected on the last formal night. 

Nice writeup.  I've been on nearly this same itinerary back in 2013 (ours was on Emerald Princess and went to Aruba instead of Curacao) and quite enjoyed it.  I'd say that the ABC Islands are probably my favorite Caribbean destination (I come from Dutch roots so I enjoy the Dutch islands), but one of my favorite cruise souvenirs was a really nice handmade mahogany box I bought from a crafter in the straw market on Dominica with some really elaborate scroll saw work on the lid.  In the three cruises I've taken that went to the ABC Islands I also remember the return trip back up to Fort Lauderdalewas generally on the bumpy side, at least until you get further north.

Edited by Vexorg