Ocean Cay Friday Dec. 6th pictures

SteelCruisin

43 minutes ago, mightywabbit said:

82days until our Cruise with Divina... wondering if the YC cabanas will be ready by then... u got any info on that?

We are currently sitting in a YC cabana. Despite the original talk about YC section not being open until Feb, it is open now with private beach, butler service, cabanas, lunch area. I will post more info and hopefully some pics when I get to airport wifi tomorrow.

But the island is very nice although obviously a work in progress.

15757491513168540031680236674581.jpg

• Like 1

THANKS ALL for the photos. For a "work in progress" it's looking fine.

Our stop at OC did not happen but have another shot at it next August during HURRICANE  SEASON so maybe another no go????  REALLY looking forward to visiting.

Are you able to expound on the difference between the YC Oceanview Cabanas vs the Beachfront Cabanas?  I'm wanting the one with the most shade potential for the fam which has light skin (I'm Italian, so I just soak up that sun LOL).

2 hours ago, psmarkle said:

Are you able to expound on the difference between the YC Oceanview Cabanas vs the Beachfront Cabanas?  I'm wanting the one with the most shade potential for the fam which has light skin (I'm Italian, so I just soak up that sun LOL).

I am sorry I cannot,  I never made it over to the yacht club area as we were in an aurea balcony, if the area is anything like the rest of the island, shade will come at a premium until the trees mature...it is a lovely destination nonetheless. 

6 hours ago, qroozr said:

THANKS ALL for the photos. For a "work in progress" it's looking fine.

Our stop at OC did not happen but have another shot at it next August during HURRICANE  SEASON so maybe another no go????  REALLY looking forward to visiting.

It really is awesome already,  it will quickly become the top private island in the Caribbean if MSC stays the course...

16 hours ago, bluefish17 said:

We are currently sitting in a YC cabana. Despite the original talk about YC section not being open until Feb, it is open now with private beach, butler service, cabanas, lunch area. I will post more info and hopefully some pics when I get to airport wifi tomorrow.

Good morning to you.... and thank you so much for the photo... did u notice maybe the difference between beach cabanas and view of the beach cabanas? 399 vs 499? 

greetings from really cold Switzerland.....

17 hours ago, bluefish17 said:

Thanks for the pictures. 

Can you please let me know what the difference is between the Ocean View cabanas and the Beach cabanas.

I have rented the more expensive option, Beach Front, but if they all look the same in the same location, I may change my preference, although I cannot remember the price difference but will look later or tomorrow. 

We sail in February. Thanks so much. 

Edited by js

5 hours ago, mightywabbit said:

Good morning to you.... and thank you so much for the photo... did u notice maybe the difference between beach cabanas and view of the beach cabanas? 399 vs 499? 

greetings from really cold Switzerland.....

The beachfront cabanas are directly on the YC beach. The oceanview cabanas were past the Ocean Cay house (YC restaurant) on a small area of land but with rocks at the shoreline and no way to enter the water without walking a little bit. Shade would be the same as buildings are the same. If you dont want to get in the water and want to be in a quieter area, the oceanview cabana would be fine.

15757501558223055850567484805605.jpg

Edited by bluefish17
Mispelling
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bluefish17 said:

The beachfront cabanas are directly on the YC beach. The oceanview cabanas were past the Ocean Cay house (YC restaurant) on a small area of land but with rocks at the shoreline and no way to enter the water without walking a little bit. Shade would be the same as buildings are the same. If you dont want to get in the water and want to be in a quieter area, the oceanview cabana would be fine.

15757501558223055850567484805605.jpg

Thank you so much. This is the exact information I was looking for. I have beach front booked and will keep it. Thank you again. 

18 hours ago, SteelCruisin said:

It really is awesome already,  it will quickly become the top private island in the Caribbean if MSC stays the course...

My most sincere thanks for posting the videos and the information about Ocean Cay!  I still wish that the Meraviglia's visit to this island is not on the last night of the cruise.

I have a starboard side YC stateroom.  Is the audio that is part of the Sound Show able to be heard from the ship?

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

My most sincere thanks for posting the videos and the information about Ocean Cay!  I still wish that the Meraviglia's visit to this island is not on the last night of the cruise.

I have a starboard side YC stateroom.  Is the audio that is part of the Sound Show able to be heard from the ship?

You most certainly can hear the show from the ship...as for it being on the last night, we actually enjoyed it..we parties till around 10, went back to ship and packed up, then watched the 11pm lightshow.... all in all it was a pretty perfect day!

• Like 1

I was just on OC Saturday Dec. 7. I thoroughly enjoyed the stay.

We set up on Sunset Beach. From our spot there is sand, then at the water the sand goes away and there is a lot of coral rubble and solid hard white rock which is very uneven in places. I found it difficult to put on snorkeling gear and get out into the water as walking on the coral rubble was painful on my sensitive feet. It did not seem to prevent people from getting in the water and I did find an easier place to enter a bit farther down from our spot. The coral rocks give way to sand on the bottom from say, 3 - 5 ft deep depending on the area. The lagoon, family beach and other beaches looked like all sand.

The snorkeling was fun from the beach but there is not dramatic coral to look at. If you find a small outcropping or rocks and small coral there will be colorful fish - I saw many kinds of damsels, wrasses, trigger fish, and other kinds of fish. To get a better look you need to dive down 8 - 12 ft. Once in a while there were single and groups up to 8 of barracuda 2 to 3 feet long. They were not aggressive and did not seem to mind my presence. My brother saw what looked like a hammerhead shark about 6 ft long! It did not bother him and was cruising past.

Snorkeling from an excursion might be better.

The Junkanoo parade was fun and ended at a dance party spot. Loud music started playing from some big speakers before the parade ended and it seemed like it was supposed to be for the lighthouse light show. The lighthouse light show started and stopped a couple times and looked like it never really got going. It certainly didn't look like the pictures above, so I think something went wrong there.

I ordered a Bahamian stout beer from the lighthouse bar and they had difficulty charging me for it because it wasn't on their tablets. The beer they gave me wasn't even the one on the menu. The one I got was called Black Beer'd Stout and it was very good! I had 2.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2019 at 10:45 PM, SteelCruisin said:

You most certainly can hear the show from the ship...as for it being on the last night, we actually enjoyed it..we parties till around 10, went back to ship and packed up, then watched the 11pm lightshow.... all in all it was a pretty perfect day!

Thanks for relating your experience.  This cruise promises to be a very new cruise adventure for me!

Those of us sailing in the next few months have been eagerly awaiting information on Ocean Cay and the posters on CC have not disappointed.  I am very grateful for all the great photos and the information they have passed along.  I am truly excited about our two stops in OC in January thanks to all the wonderful, informative posts on CC & FB. 

• Like 2