First Far East Trip

hobgoblin

Wondered if anyone has done the 14 night Eclipse cruise going to Singapore,Thailand and Vietnam?

Just booked for my big birthday next year, going in November 2020 .

Would be great if anyone could comment on  any of these  destinations and also could give any advice about excursions or visas etc...

Not sure if any of the destinations are ok for going it alone without booking guides and maybe there are some stops you can go to town on you own by bus from the harbour ?

Any information much appreciated !

In Vietnam a number of the ports are a long distance from the cities.  We have used guides in the past and will again.  HCMC is a city with 13 million people and 8 million scooters, I wouldn’t try to navigate it on my own.  
We also used a guide in Thailand and will be using one in Bangkok.   Singapore is a easy city to DYI.  

If you are going in November then you board on the 11th the day we disembark after a B2B2B.  If you haven’t joined the Roll Call for your sailing I would suggest you do so and the Ports if Call Boards can be a valuable resource for finding guides and tour operators.

In Bangkok, the typical tour would include the must-see Grand Palace, several of the famous temples along the river, possibly a long-tail boat ride on the Chao Phraya River and the nearby khlongs, Chinatown, and perhaps some shopping areas.  For such a limited time, I would not try to tour on my own.  A tour guide with a car/van will allow you to see more while not having to worry about the language barrier (unless you happen to speak Thai).  Bangkok is a fabulous place for tourists but it can be a bit overwhelming.  

1 hour ago, hobgoblin said:

Thankyou so much for your kind replies .

Guessing we should take your advice and try the roll call for some like minded newbies to the far east!

Totally agree to looking at the roll call but try to link with seasoned Far East cruisers rather than newbies, they will understand how things work and what is possible...

If you browse the Celebrity excursions first it will give you some idea of the ‘range’ of possibilities.

We have toured and cruised the Far East a few times. Key facts to remember are...

Limited understanding of English outside major centres.

Suggested times/distance from port to sight-seeing focus are frequently significant and can vary.

‘Ports’ are often container style and not pretty and have nothing local to enjoy.

We love the Far East and have enjoyed two fantastic cruises there. However, on each visit we have added on city or beach stays or both...See if you can ‘extend your stay’...It is a long way to go if you don’t make the most of it!

My only advice is to arrive in Singapore a few days early.  It is a wonderfully clean and orderly place but it is hot!  Make sure you take the cable car across to Sentosa, as well as seeing the city.  Have a great trip and big birthday!

I have also never been to Asia so would be considered a newbie. However, I have been researching and planning for over a year since our cruise starts Jan 4th in HK, and stop in Vietnam, Thailand, and Singapore.

Some tips:

- I agree that most of the larger ships dock far from port. At first I was very much against the idea of "paying" for a hotel while being on a cruise. We ultimately decided to stay overnight in Bangkok and Hanoi.

- Singapore was a former English colony so should be easy

- Watch all the Youtube videos you can

- Pay attention to the roll calls- but also to many roll calls before and after your cruise

- Celebrity will take care of the Visa (there is a small charge) for Vietnam. Everywhere else should be OK.

Interesting Vietnan blog

https://seriouslynot.blog/2017/08/29/vietnam-2014-trip-report-9/

Youtube:

I, too, hate paying for a hotel when on cruise, but it is worth it in Bangkok and Hanoi.  The good news is that even the major chain hotels are relatively inexpensive.  Just remember to take your passport as that is required as ID at most hotels abroad. Guides are also quite inexpensive.  Concur with joining a small group on your roll call.  We did Bankok with one other couple and the VN ports with four other couples.   A far better experience than that offered by X on a large bus.