Princess switched my room?!

cng062000

2 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

"Do Not Upgrade" is a request. If Princess wants your cabin, you will be moved.

That is absolutely correct.  And they do have the right,  small print in the contract.  However,  it does leave a bad taste.  Bottom line is that we ended up near to original cabin and that is going to be fine.  An apology would have been nice,  or a bottle of wine.... however we recognize that this is indeed a first world problem......

We currently are in a dispute about the unwanted move from a desired cabin that was made in May 2018 on a 4/2020 cruise to a less desirable cabin.  They "upgraded" us from a cabin on the Caribe deck near the aft elevator bank to a "upgraded" cabin on the Aloha deck near the forward elevator bank which turns out is a shared cabin with the cabin next door (door in wall to next cabin).  We book directly with Princess and the cabin was supposed to have been marked "no upgrade of any kind".  Yet we were notified that we had been "upgraded" to this cabin which was unassigned (I wonder why nobody wanted it).  This leaves a very bad taste in my mouth with two alternatives for the future: book only through a TA in the future or cancel our three pending cruises (~$30K) and move to HAL or Celebrity for all future cruises.  All three future cruises can be canceled without penalty and either rebooked through a TA or book them on another cruise line.  

5 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

We currently are in a dispute about the unwanted move from a desired cabin that was made in May 2018 on a 4/2020 cruise to a less desirable cabin...  This leaves a very bad taste in my mouth with two alternatives for the future: book only through a TA in the future or cancel our three pending cruises (~$30K) and move to HAL or Celebrity for all future cruises.  All three future cruises can be canceled without penalty and either rebooked through a TA or book them on another cruise line.  

Keep in mind, that (most likely) any cruise line that you change to will have the same verbiage/ability in their contract.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

We currently are in a dispute about the unwanted move from a desired cabin that was made in May 2018 on a 4/2020 cruise to a less desirable cabin.  They "upgraded" us from a cabin on the Caribe deck near the aft elevator bank to a "upgraded" cabin on the Aloha deck near the forward elevator bank which turns out is a shared cabin with the cabin next door (door in wall to next cabin).  We book directly with Princess and the cabin was supposed to have been marked "no upgrade of any kind".  Yet we were notified that we had been "upgraded" to this cabin which was unassigned (I wonder why nobody wanted it).  This leaves a very bad taste in my mouth with two alternatives for the future: book only through a TA in the future or cancel our three pending cruises (~$30K) and move to HAL or Celebrity for all future cruises.  All three future cruises can be canceled without penalty and either rebooked through a TA or book them on another cruise line.  

Isn't this resolved to the original Caribe deck?

55 minutes ago, that said:

Isn't this resolved to the original Caribe deck?

Indeed it was but then they did it again sometime the end of last week.  I called Princess awhile ago and it is now switched back to the original cabin on the Caribe deck.  We will be watching it on the personalizer henceforth on a regular basis.  One item I was able to confirm on today's call was that the reservation was indeed marked no upgrade.  I will not rest comfortably until we are aboard the ship on the Caribe deck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, satxdiver said:

Indeed it was but then they did it again sometime the end of last week.  I called Princess awhile ago and it is now switched back to the original cabin on the Caribe deck.  We will be watching it on the personalizer henceforth on a regular basis.  One item I was able to confirm on today's call was that the reservation was indeed marked no upgrade.  I will not rest comfortably until we are aboard the ship on the Caribe deck.

Same thing happened to us on April 2020 cruise. Had a cabin on Caribe that we booked over a year ago & they switched us to an "upgrade" to aloha under pool. Took 2 calls to change it back.

If you feel very upset about an unwanted upgrade,  in my opinion it is a good idea to telephone in and go through the issue with the call handler or their superior.  After explaining the situation, the response is typically that your original cabin has now been reassigned to someone else.  I think one then needs to establish that the cruise line has the ability to upgrade anyone who has consented to a higher grade cabin.  After this,  suggest therefore they can upgrade the newcomers from one's original cabin and allocate those people into the higher grade cabin you are vacating.  If they refuse this saying it is not possible suggest they reallocate you to next door to your original cabin.  They should be able to do one or other.  Why not?

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, satxdiver said:

Had the same issue ! got my cabin back!