Cruise Sold Out 120 days prior to sailing?!?

CTCruiser001

On 12/15/2019 at 1:28 PM, blcruising said:

If prior behavior is any indication, your revised itinerary or cruise cancellation notice is coming within the next week or so. I hope I am wrong on this.

Geez, we got three threads going on this. I posted this on the other threads but for the benefit of anyone that is not following the other threads... here is my speculation about what is happening with the Star. They are altering itineraries through March due to the propulsion issues. I am expecting they'll take the ship out of service on April 7, 2020 in Port Canaveral after the March 29, 2020 cruise. They'll sail over to Freeport for repairs and then sail up to NYC in time for the April 19 Transatlantic cruise to London. It would be unwise to sail a Transatlantic crossing without full repair. The only question remains is when they are going to announce the cancellation of the April 9 sailing....before final payment or after final payment is due. Hopefully, NCL is working to get existing bookings transferred to the Dawn for April 9.

46 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Geez, we got three threads going on this. I posted this on the other threads but for the benefit of anyone that is not following the other threads... here is my speculation about what is happening with the Star. They are altering itineraries through March due to the propulsion issues. I am expecting they'll take the ship out of service on April 7, 2020 in Port Canaveral after the March 29, 2020 cruise. They'll sail over to Freeport for repairs and then sail up to NYC in time for the April 19 Transatlantic cruise to London. It would be unwise to sail a Transatlantic crossing without full repair. The only question remains is when they are going to announce the cancellation of the April 9 sailing....before final payment or after final payment is due. Hopefully, NCL is working to get existing bookings transferred to the Dawn for April 9.

The Star 04/09 is past final payment

I'm hoping that anyone with bookings for the Star who are CC readers are aware of the ongoing issues with the Star. Several threads on here.

Happy sailing on the Dawn! It will probably take some time for the kinks to get worked out for switching to the Dawn for that sailing and for the appropriate info to be disseminated to everyone involved. 

Man,  I could not be a NCL customer service agent. Those folks have to deal with a lot. They are really stuck in the middle. I could not deal with people calling me all day demanding answers for decisions I don't make.

Have a good day everyone, and happy cruising! 🤗

4 hours ago, blueslily said:

I'm hoping that anyone with bookings for the Star who are CC readers are aware of the ongoing issues with the Star. Several threads on here.

Happy sailing on the Dawn! It will probably take some time for the kinks to get worked out for switching to the Dawn for that sailing and for the appropriate info to be disseminated to everyone involved. 

Man,  I could not be a NCL customer service agent. Those folks have to deal with a lot. They are really stuck in the middle. I could not deal with people calling me all day demanding answers for decisions I don't make.

Have a good day everyone, and happy cruising! 🤗

The reason why people are calling to “demand answers” about big changes to their expensive Vacay after final payment has been made (including ship change, port of departure change, itinerary change, and room change) is bc NCL has not only been radio silent about the entire issue to its customers  but hasn’t even disclosed any info to its own executive representatives. I, too could never work for a company like that - in any position. The problem is not the questions. It is ncl’s job to have the answers, but once again, they don’t. This is pathetic “customer service,” but if customers continue to just take it, it will only get worse. 😊

Edited by schildiams
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, blcruising said:

Considering the Star already did a transatlantic crossing without a full repair, I doubt it would be unwise to do it again. But it does seem like with this change it's possible that they are fixing it on this side of the pond. 

4 hours ago, smplybcause said:

Considering the Star already did a transatlantic crossing without a full repair, I doubt it would be unwise to do it again. But it does seem like with this change it's possible that they are fixing it on this side of the pond. 

They learned their lesson during the Star April 2017 Australia fiasco. It was a different technical issue, but it would be foolish to operate a transatlantic crossing when there is a known problem that could impact cruising speed. Imagine being 1,200 miles from land and having an issue, let alone one that was known in advance. NCL execs are not the sharpest knives in the drawer, but there is no way that ship sails without being repaired.

22 minutes ago, blcruising said:

They learned their lesson during the Star April 2017 Australia fiasco. It was a different technical issue, but it would be foolish to operate a transatlantic crossing when there is a known problem that could impact cruising speed. Imagine being 1,200 miles from land and having an issue, let alone one that was known in advance. NCL execs are not the sharpest knives in the drawer, but there is no way that ship sails without being repaired.

Except they already did operate a transatlantic crossing with a known problem that impacts cruising speed - that's how the the Star got over here from the Mediterranean where the problem first happened. 

The Oasis limped across the the Atlantic at a lower cruising speed with a bum azipod and the Allure is about to do the same thing in April. And both of those are with propulsion issues, not just a lower cruising speed.  

1 minute ago, smplybcause said:

Except they already did operate a transatlantic crossing with a known problem that impacts cruising speed - that's how the the Star got over here from the Mediterranean where the problem first happened. 

The Oasis limped across the the Atlantic at a lower cruising speed with a bum azipod and the Allure is about to do the same thing in April. And both of those are with propulsion issues, not just a lower cruising speed.  

Foolish. They'll get what they get.

14 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Foolish. They'll get what they get.

It's not like Royal has a choice in the matter - neither of those ships can have the Azipods serviced in the Western hemisphere, there is literally NOWHERE that can handle a ship of that size for that service.  Even the dock in which they HAD been serviced before isn't fully capable of lifting those behemoths, but that dock is now out of service after it failed in April while Oasis was in for an attempt at servicing at least one Azipod.  That dock was able to have coffer dams fitted to surround the pods so the area can be drained to work on the pods, the dock wouldn't fully lift the ship from the water so the work could be performed.  In the case of Oasis, she sailed TA without passengers.  Allure recently had the blades removed from the weak/damaged azipod to reduce the damage (they're sitting on the dock in PC until the TA transit) but the top speed of the ship is reduced.  Those ships need to go to Cadíz, Spain for the graving dock (sail in, pump out the water rather than sail in and lift) that will fit them.

The Star is MUCH smaller, Freeport is likely able to service that ship still.

8 minutes ago, hallux said:

It's not like Royal has a choice in the matter - neither of those ships can have the Azipods serviced in the Western hemisphere, there is literally NOWHERE that can handle a ship of that size for that service.  Even the dock in which they HAD been serviced before isn't fully capable of lifting those behemoths, but that dock is now out of service after it failed in April while Oasis was in for an attempt at servicing at least one Azipod.  That dock was able to have coffer dams fitted to surround the pods so the area can be drained to work on the pods, the dock wouldn't fully lift the ship from the water so the work could be performed.  In the case of Oasis, she sailed TA without passengers.  Allure recently had the blades removed from the weak/damaged azipod to reduce the damage (they're sitting on the dock in PC until the TA transit) but the top speed of the ship is reduced.  Those ships need to go to Cadíz, Spain for the graving dock (sail in, pump out the water rather than sail in and lift) that will fit them.

The Star is MUCH smaller, Freeport is likely able to service that ship still.

Which is why NCL won't send their ship across the pond with a known propulsion problem. Someone else brought rccl into this dialogue. You've made my original point. Thank you.

Edited by blcruising

Except they already have sent it across! Yes, this move might mean that dock space in Freeport opened up sooner than space over in Europe. But it's not like this is such a bad problem that they won't sail across the Atlantic with it because they already have sailed across the Atlantic with this problem. 

9 hours ago, schildiams said:

The reason why people are calling to “demand answers” about big changes to their expensive Vacay after final payment has been made (including ship change, port of departure change, itinerary change, and room change) is bc NCL has not only been radio silent about the entire issue to its customers  but hasn’t even disclosed any info to its own executive representatives. I, too could never work for a company like that - in any position. The problem is not the questions. It is ncl’s job to have the answers, but once again, they don’t. This is pathetic “customer service,” but if customers continue to just take it, it will only get worse. 😊

I understand. My point was that people in the middle are not always provided the information wanted by callers when it is wanted nor granted the power to do what some callers want. 

Not saying whether or not that is ok. Just a reality.

We shall see what actually happens with the sailing. Lots of predictions here. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blueslily said:

I understand. My point was that people in the middle are not always provided the information wanted by callers when it is wanted nor granted the power to do what some callers want. 

Not saying whether or not that is ok. Just a reality.

We shall see what actually happens with the sailing. Lots of predictions here. 

I agree with you 100 percent!

1 hour ago, smplybcause said:

Except they already have sent it across! Yes, this move might mean that dock space in Freeport opened up sooner than space over in Europe. But it's not like this is such a bad problem that they won't sail across the Atlantic with it because they already have sailed across the Atlantic with this problem. 

Then take it up with NCL directly. Call them up and tell them they shouldn't cancel the cruise and  you think they should sail with the ship as is just like they've done in the past. 

Edited by blcruising

2 hours ago, blcruising said:

Then take it up with NCL directly. Call them up and tell them they shouldn't cancel the cruise and  you think they should sail with the ship as is just like they've done in the past. 

Cuz that's what I said. 🙄 You're the one that's crowing on about how the ship isn't safe to sail, not me.

5 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Cuz that's what I said. 🙄 You're the one that's crowing on about how the ship isn't safe to sail, not me.

Hahahahaha!!!! Trust me mate, they aren't sending that ship across the pond in April in its current state. But don't believe me, call up NCL and they'll tell you what I've already said for the reasons I've already said. Cheers! I'm out.

Edited by blcruising

Just now, blcruising said:

Hahahahaha!!!! Trust me mate, they aren't sending that ship across the pond in April in its current state. But don't believe me, call up NCL and they'll tell you. Cheers!

Trust me, buddy, I made no prediction on what they would do. Merely stated they had already done a TA with the current problems so lacking any furthering of the problem the TA is not the catalyst for the timing of the fix. Assuming that's what this is.

It's being fixed then because 1) they'll have the part 2) there's dock space and 3) it fits best into the schedule. Since the ship has already made a TA while impeded that's not a factor - unless something else has gone wrong since the TA a few weeks ago. 

Just now, blcruising said:

Hahahahaha!!!! Trust me mate, they aren't sending that ship across the pond in April in its current state. But don't believe me, call up NCL and they'll tell you. Cheers!

Trust me, buddy, I made no prediction on what they would do. Merely stated they had already done a TA with the current problems so lacking any furthering of the problem the TA is not the catalyst for the timing of the fix. Assuming that's what this is.

It's being fixed then because 1) they'll have the part 2) there's dock space and 3) it fits best into the schedule. Since the ship has already made a TA while impeded that's not a factor - unless something else has gone wrong since the TA a few weeks ago.