Parking at San Pedro pier?

WiscCruiser

Just booked a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Royal Princess, 02/15/2020.  Since we live in Arizona, we're planning on making the drive over to the pier in San Pedro and parking our car there while we're on the 7 day cruise.  The latest I've read indicates the parking fee is $18 per day.  Is that still current?  Also, any tips on getting to the pier that will make our travel and embarkation when we arrive smoother and more enjoyable would be greatly appreciated.

Another idea. You may want to consider staying one night, pre-cruise, at either the Doubletree San Pedro or the Crowne Plaza San Pedro. Both offer "sail-n-stay" rates for room/parking/breakfast and offer complimentary transfers from the hotel/pier/hotel. It's a long drive from SCW to Los Angeles and an overnight stay in San Pedro might be an attractive rest prior to your boarding the ship.  We've stayed at both properties prior to sailing from San Pedro.

6 hours ago, WiscCruiser said:

Just booked a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Royal Princess, 02/15/2020.  Since we live in Arizona, we're planning on making the drive over to the pier in San Pedro and parking our car there while we're on the 7 day cruise.  The latest I've read indicates the parking fee is $18 per day.  Is that still current?  Also, any tips on getting to the pier that will make our travel and embarkation when we arrive smoother and more enjoyable would be greatly appreciated.

We are on the January 4 Royal...and our drive to the pier is much shorter than yours (an hour to an hour and a half away)...But we've decided to just stay that extra night at the Doubletree...We'll get there a day early, relax, have a nice dinner in San Pedro, get up at our leisure Saturday morning and not stress traffic or worrying about getting there in the morning...and leave our car at the Doubletree and take their shuttle to the pier.

We also live about 11/2 hrs away and go the day before to stay at the Doubletree San Pedro.

It is true that their prices seem to be going up and up but we consider it part of the cost of the cruise.

There is also a Best Western nearby that might be less expensive.

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

I think parking at the terminal is easier than a hotel, especially post cruise.

I agree, in part...Clearly, it IS easier.  You can park within a matter of feet of the terminal door.  We have always found ample parking.  The lot is safe and exit is easy...No shuttles to deal with...

However, it does cost $126 for a 7-night cruise...For ME, for example, an UberX would cost approximately $60 each way...and I'd save on gas, wear and tear on my car and my car would remain safely in my garage at home...So, for a cruise of 7 nights or longer, that makes a lot of sense...

So, why am I staying at the Doubletree?  Well, a lot also depends on what that hotel costs for the night (including parking)...Hotel prices vary day by day and based on when you book.  For me, for this next cruise, my price for the Doubletree is ZERO.  I have an abundance of Hilton points and just cashed some in.  BUT, before deciding on that route, I originally was going to stay at the Crowne Plaza on a Park 'n' Cruise deal...which, when I first looked, would have cost $179 (Including taxes...It later started going up).  I've actually seen the price even cheaper from time to time.  So, what I would have been looking at would have been about a $53 difference.

With that scenario, you just consider trade-offs...Having to take a shuttle back and forth from the pier (though the CP is actually walking distance for us), spending an extra day "on vacation" and paying an extra $53 versus saving the $53 and dealing with day-of-the-cruise traffic and stress.  I'm not saying it's a better scenario for everyone...just that it's an option worth considering.

For the OP--who have about a 7-8 hour drive in from Phoenix, either they are going to have to wake up very early on embarkation day and drive a long way before the cruise...OR they are going to drive a major part of that trip the day before and have to spend the night somewhere.  In their case, I think it makes a lot more sense--make the drive in the day before...and consider the parking charges saved as a $126 discount off the hotel cost.

The company that operates the parking lots at San Pedro's cruise terminal has given themselves a raise, so it is now $19 per day.  That is, $133 for a seven-day cruise.  Thank you, Parking Concepts.  On the other hand, it's now $20 per day for Carnival in Long Beach.  Now, if I could just convince my significant other that taking the bus is an option, we could spend about $2 each way per parson, and just park at home!  We live about 12 miles from the port.

• Like 1

" For me, for this next cruise, my price for the Doubletree is ZERO.  I have an abundance of Hilton points and just cashed some in "  

BruinSteve-Did you have to call the hotel to do that and get the parking included?

There is no rate on line for using pts for the park n cruise option.

They only show the number of pts needed to book a room without the parking option added on.

Sorry if I've asked you about this before! My oldER brain does not remember.

Riff, 

I actually called the Hilton 800 reservation number and told the agent that I was looking for a rate that included parking for Hilton points...and only saw the one without.  He called the hotel directly...and they told him they would throw in parking and shuttles.  He then noted it right on my confirmation.  I’m not sure if they do this for everyone...or if it has to do with my repeat customer status...or if I was just lucky and got the right agent an$ the right person at the hotel.  But I’ll take it...

We have a 15 day cruise booked for March 30th. We booked into the Best Western Plus which is only a mile away from the port. They offer long term parking @ $10.00 per day, free shuttle service to the port and free post cruise pickup.

I've read good reviews about the hotel plus most of their parking is covered.

On 12/21/2019 at 9:12 AM, Bruin Steve said:

Riff, 

I actually called the Hilton 800 reservation number and told the agent that I was looking for a rate that included parking for Hilton points...and only saw the one without.  He called the hotel directly...and they told him they would throw in parking and shuttles.  He then noted it right on my confirmation.  I’m not sure if they do this for everyone...or if it has to do with my repeat customer status...or if I was just lucky and got the right agent an$ the right person at the hotel.  But I’ll take it...

Thanks for explaining your process.

I used the chat on line and the agent told me that I could not use my points to get the stay n cruise privileges. Hmm? I may just save my points for another city that's even more expensive!(NYC).

I'll have to think about it but thanks for the information about how you got it done!

I have a five hour drive to the port, so it is shorter than the OP's drive.  I stress the entire drive from Vegas to San Pedro the morning of the cruise (I have had to deal with heavy fog, rain, even snow on the Cajon Pass), but the hassle of checking into the hotel, dealing with baggage from the car to the room to the shuttle to the ship's porters just is too much.  Part of the joy of cruising from San Pedro is being able to unload the baggage directly from the car to the porter and not having to deal with it at all!

Staying at the hotel the night before, almost as much hassle as flying to the ship!

If I were a $60 Uber drive or town car/limo ride away from the port, I'd be doing that!