Buying and billing drinks with medallion

Scubadoc

We will be on our first Medallion cruise in January. I’m trying to decide on whether to get a beverage package. One of the advantages for me is just not having to fool with ordering every one of them and then keeping track of that on our bill. I’ve had more than one occasion where my bill has been wrong and so I check everything.

So I have two questions:

First does medallion make it easier to order drinks if you do not have a package. Do I still have to sign receipts etc.? Or is it seamless and simple?

Second,  if you order drinks individually do they show the details of what you ordered on your bill? For instance do they say something like “bar purchase“ or something like “chocolate banana mocktail“?  😊

The details would help me keep track to see if our bill is right but then I also have to take time to do all that. Trying to decide how much the beverage package would actually be worth to me. Thanx!

We were on our first Medallion cruise this past summer. There are no receipts. You let the server scan your medallion and it goes straight to your account. He has a little hand held machine.

We did not have the beverage package but had no problem with our bill. You can check your bill constantly on the app on your phone. No charge as it uses intranet on the ship which is free.

48 minutes ago, Scubadoc said:

We will be on our first Medallion cruise in January. I’m trying to decide on whether to get a beverage package. One of the advantages for me is just not having to fool with ordering every one of them and then keeping track of that on our bill. I’ve had more than one occasion where my bill has been wrong and so I check everything.

So I have two questions:

First does medallion make it easier to order drinks if you do not have a package. Do I still have to sign receipts etc.? Or is it seamless and simple?

Second,  if you order drinks individually do they show the details of what you ordered on your bill? For instance do they say something like “bar purchase“ or something like “chocolate banana mocktail“?  😊

The details would help me keep track to see if our bill is right but then I also have to take time to do all that. Trying to decide how much the beverage package would actually be worth to me. Thanx!

To your second point - when you check your account, either online or on a printout, each purchase shows the point of purchase. Example would be like  "Crooner's  ...  $10.50". If there is a charge from a location you didn't visit , you can take the listing to the Passenger Service desk to get it removed.

1 hour ago, Scubadoc said:

So I have two questions:

It is no different than ordering using a cruise card. Just show the waiter the medallion, or they might just ask to confirm your name or cabin no.

Your purchases will show as an amount and the venue purchased. The venue isn't always the same venue where you are sitting. For example when ordering in the buffet area it might say Outrigger Bar. It does not show the exact drink ordered, just the charge.

It takes around 5 to 6 alcoholic drinks per day to break even with the beverage package, depending on what drinks you order and how much non-alcoholic beverage you order. It's no different with the beverage package, you have to provide your medallion for each drink. If you have a smart device you can keep track of your account in real time or periodically throughout the day. I have read on this site that if you order your first drink using the medallion app the drink is no charge. I plan to look for this in February when I am on board.

3 hours ago, adstz said:

We were on our first Medallion cruise this past summer. There are no receipts.

We haven't had to sign receipts for the past several years on various Princess ships, Medallion or not. It always amused me when we've been on a "code red" cruise and the salt and pepper shakers come off the table, etc., but the waiter had everyone he/she served sign the slip with the same pen! Glad they got rid of having to do that.

Edited by WisCruiser2