Viking Charging Me $150pp to Come in Early

piginmud

I thought I had read on the boards here that in order to do a pre-cruise excursion on your own (we want to come into Budapest 2 days early), that Viking would charge $50-100pp to customize the flights.  I called them today and they want $150pp to make the change.  I haven't read about anyone getting charged the full $150pp to change the date/flight.  Has anyone else paid this much?

Now I'm wondering if it's just better to book their pre-cruise 2 day Budapest excursion for $399pp?

Thanks!

debbie

2 hours ago, piginmud said:

I thought I had read on the boards here that in order to do a pre-cruise excursion on your own (we want to come into Budapest 2 days early), that Viking would charge $50-100pp to customize the flights.  I called them today and they want $150pp to make the change.  I haven't read about anyone getting charged the full $150pp to change the date/flight.  Has anyone else paid this much?

Now I'm wondering if it's just better to book their pre-cruise 2 day Budapest excursion for $399pp?

Thanks!

debbie

We have done a few pre- and post-cruise extensions, and were never disappointed. Once you get your luggage off the carousel, it will be handled for you, brought to your room, and then to your cabin after you check out of the hotel. The Viking hosts are locals who are very knowledgeable and should be helpful in planning time on your own in Budapest. Given the $150pp upcharge, I would go with the Viking pre.

Edited by Squawkman

The $150 is actually two fees. The first is called the Air Plus fee and that is the fee charged to anyone who wants to have a say in their flights. That fee is usually $50pp but there are some itineraries where the fee can be more. The other fee is called a Deviation fee and is charged any time a passenger wants to arrive before Day 1 of the itinerary and/or depart other than the last day of the itinerary; it is usually $100pp. Also, if you deviate from the arrival and departure days without using a Viking extension, you lose the airport transfers on the deviated days.

I do agree with Squawkman. This is one of the times when doing the Viking extension will probably cost you less than doing it on your own.

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

I do agree with Squawkman. This is one of the times when doing the Viking extension will probably cost you less than doing it on your own.

This is true as long as you didn't (or don't) plan on arriving earlier than the normal arrival for the extension. If you wanted to come in a day earlier, you would still be charged the $100pp deviation fee. Also, you may still be charged the $50pp fee if you want a say in your flights.

11 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

This is true as long as you didn't (or don't) plan on arriving earlier than the normal arrival for the extension. If you wanted to come in a day earlier, you would still be charged the $100pp deviation fee. Also, you may still be charged the $50pp fee if you want a say in your flights.

As far as I understand how it works, anyone who wants to talk with Viking Air pays the Air Plus fee, whether you are just picking your flights or you are doing a deviation.

Thank you everyone for your replies.  It seems like doing the Viking pre-cruise excursion is probably the best and easiest for us to do.  I might save "a little" money doing it on my own, but really not much.  And it sounds like the Viking pre-cruise excursion is definitely worth the money.

Thanks again!

debbie

FYI - we've used Viking's pre and post excursions many times, and have been happy with all of them. 

I'm a trip planner, and would be quite comfortable making arrangements, but it is soooo nice to not have to worry about it. 

Next year we are taking our first post-cruise deviation on our own - 3 days at Disney Shanghai 🙂

Word of caution - pre and post excursions sell out frequently, so book them ASAP.

Happy travels!

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.  We just made our reservations through Viking to deviate also.  When we saw how much they were charging for the two nights at the hotel we were able to do it on our own for a lot less money.   Since we planned on deviating on the way back home for a month in Cleveland to see our two grand babies we were going to pay for the fee anyways but by doing our own planning in Prague it was still cheaper. 

On 12/20/2019 at 1:05 PM, jrkstl said:

FYI - we've used Viking's pre and post excursions many times, and have been happy with all of them. 

I'm a trip planner, and would be quite comfortable making arrangements, but it is soooo nice to not have to worry about it. 

Next year we are taking our first post-cruise deviation on our own - 3 days at Disney Shanghai 🙂

Word of caution - pre and post excursions sell out frequently, so book them ASAP.

Happy travels!

Jeff

Agreeing with Jeff. It is easier to start with the extension and delete them than it is to try to add them, even if you decide to cancel after the PIF date -- as long as you are at least 120 days from departure and your flight tickets have not been issued. 

On 12/19/2019 at 6:38 PM, Peregrina651 said:

The $150 is actually two fees. The first is called the Air Plus fee and that is the fee charged to anyone who wants to have a say in their flights. That fee is usually $50pp but there are some itineraries where the fee can be more. The other fee is called a Deviation fee and is charged any time a passenger wants to arrive before Day 1 of the itinerary and/or depart other than the last day of the itinerary; it is usually $100pp. Also, if you deviate from the arrival and departure days without using a Viking extension, you lose the airport transfers on the deviated days.

On 12/19/2019 at 9:29 AM, piginmud said:

Thanks!

debbie

I think that all depends on how much research you are willing to do. 

$150 X 2 pp =$300       $399 X 2 for extension is $798       That leaves you almost $500 to use for cabs, more days if you want them, catch up with jet lag, etc...  It's all in what is best for your situation  and how comfortable you are on traveling  on your own.  We have many friends who do the extensions because they don't want to mess with cabs or figuring out where to go. And we have friends who are more adventurous  and go on their own.   I also liked having a say in our flights  as we live 3 hours from an airport.      Which ever you choose   have a great trip!

• Like 1