On Board Promotion

hulamoon

So we recently booked on board. Good News they said, we could get an extra 400 OBC. I had been debating about just transferring a booking vs a new booking. We ended up with two bookings each with the extra 400. I just for the second time repriced both these cruises that were booked 5 weeks ago. Turns out this time they told us we could not keep the extra 400. I didn't find any paperwork or info in the new promotion that said this might happen. It was sold as an additional bonus for booking on board. Happy to have saved more money, but the booking was not quite as presented.

It's a good time to reprice your bookings. Don't take that extra $400 for booking on board seriously. It's easy come easy go, or good for last minute bookings.

When you booked onboard $200 OBC was the book onboard bonus and $100 pp was the Promo which ended on 12/18.   When you reprice you get the new promo (which is now $200 pp discount) but get to keep the book on board bonus $200.   I don't think their sheet made this real clear as there was a column which said "Extra OBC" at the far right.  That was just the current promo that you got no matter where you booked.

The on board booking bonus has been the same for the last several years and doesn't change.  You get that extra OBC, reduced deposit and can combine it with the current promo.

We were told at the time of booking it was for booking on board only and when I just repriced she called it a bonus on board special that we would lose.  They should have been clear any repricing would invalidate the bonus, rather than leading me to think it made more sense to book on board rather than move a booking. 

I am happy for a better price but I really wish building trust and plain language into the promo's would take a bit more priority.

I realize this happens with Exciting Deals, but we are a long way off from Exciting Deal pricing.

Edited by hulamoon
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2019 at 5:16 PM, hulamoon said:

We were told at the time of booking it was for booking on board only and when I just repriced she called it a bonus on board special that we would lose.  They should have been clear any repricing would invalidate the bonus, rather than leading me to think it made more sense to book on board rather than move a booking. 

I am happy for a better price but I really wish building trust and plain language into the promo's would take a bit more priority.

I realize this happens with Exciting Deals, but we are a long way off from Exciting Deal pricing.

How true! We booked onboard, only to find out the 'extra' wasn't extra, it was the only OBC we received from Celebrity. Not a fun experience dealing with our TA or Celebrity on this one....Celebrity One Touch did explain the pricing to us, but it did not match up with what Future Cruises Dept. on Silhouette had been selling. Lesson learned.

We had a similar experience as well, when re-pricing...

Yet when it was all done and said, while we lost the $400 on-board OBC, we netted $100 savings overall, so I did not have an issue as it was lost in one place and given back in another...

Plus I received an additional Perk and lower pricing for even greater savings.

bon voyage

How bookings and many other pre purchase things are worded are always very convoluted.  I tend to be very precise in asking clarity questions, worked in hospitality long time and now do programming so things need to be concise for me to move forward.  As much it is exciting to book on board I have found it easier/well actually more work but I enjoy it to search out great rates thru TA's.  If you can find Ta's who have group rates for your cruise its usually at least 1500-2000 cheaper than celebrity listing with same perks.  I wish I was able and more flexible to do last minute deals but I need to give work. seems unfortunately to get in the way to often,  enough notice when I decide to take off 10+ days. 

• Thanks 1

It penciled out to change because of overall savings, yet being mislead, doesn't feel good. X admitted there was no written statement about it, it's not like I missed fine print. It was just a deceptive or ignorant practice and it disappoints me, made worse because I  caved to non refundable, when it appears to have been unnecessary. 

Thanks everyone, at least I know I am not the only one who experienced this.

18 minutes ago, hulamoon said:

It penciled out to change because of overall savings, yet being mislead, doesn't feel good. X admitted there was no written statement about it, it's not like I missed fine print. It was just a deceptive or ignorant practice and it disappoints me, made worse because I  caved to non refundable, when it appears to have been unnecessary. 

Thanks everyone, at least I know I am not the only one who experienced this.

As was explained to me, we 'needed' to book refundable to get these extra perks with the standard stateroom OBC and the "Extra" OBC at a much, Much higher fare! I booked non and thus was penalized. I know some book refundable then as final approaches switch to non. It is a gamble as fares may have indeed increased, thus negating anything benefit in the end... The onboard sales seminar was reminiscent of the old sleazy time-share sessions.  I won't attend another......

2 hours ago, rlbeck said:

As was explained to me, we 'needed' to book refundable to get these extra perks with the standard stateroom OBC and the "Extra" OBC at a much, Much higher fare! I booked non and thus was penalized. I know some book refundable then as final approaches switch to non. It is a gamble as fares may have indeed increased, thus negating anything benefit in the end... The onboard sales seminar was reminiscent of the old sleazy time-share sessions.  I won't attend another......

I agree with you!  Anything can happen before a cruise, so one has to be careful.  I wish it wasn't this way, but unfortunately..."Let the games begin!"  This has been my attitude for a number of years, and I play to win...If I feel it is a good deal, then for me it is; however, I hate checking the website constantly, but my TA is available seven days a week for me.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Thanks 1

I enquired about booking another cruise onboard.  I was given a really expensive price plus no gratuity included (like I do when booking from New Zealand).  I came home from holiday and booked the exact same cruise, same cabin but with more perks for around $2,000 less, including gratuities.  I think the onboard selling is not a great deal!