Best time to cruise to Alaska?

CaseyAnn

5 hours ago, CaseyAnn said:

Is there any negatives cruising to Alaska in May compared to later in the summer?

We went in May of this year and loved it!  The roads were clear but there was still a fair amount of snow in the upper elevations of the mountains.  The snow was melting and there were beautiful water falls.  We rented a Jeep from Skagway up the Yukon Highway and it was fabulous.  The bears were awake and we spotted some along the way.  We saw whales, so it wasn't too early for them. So, I would not shy away from cruising in May - our cruise left May 6th.

• Like 1

We went the first week of August and it was 45 degrees  in the morning for breakfast and by 11:30 am it was high 70's low 80's, and people swimming in the pools.  They did say it was an unusual summer for them.  I wish I had brought my shorts.

• Like 1

I would say you'll never know, Alaska weather is so changing. My parents did one in May, Mother's Day they were there, and my mom has pictures of her sitting on the upper deck, in her bathing suit, eating some food. It was so nice, warm, and sunny. When we went in July, we had only one truly warm day, and that was in port in Skagway. The rest of our days were decent, no real rain, but definitely cool/cold on our excursions and on deck.

If you plan on land travel with a May cruise, a HUGE negative is that the road into Denali isn't fully open.

Travel to Wonder Lake doesn't start until around June 10,   to Eielson Visitor Center June 1.  

I think the earliest tour/transit buses start around May 20 and go to Toklat, Mile 52.

The exact dates are posted on the park web site.

I'm generalizing but the prices of Alaska cruises tend to rise fairly steadily as the season progresses towards Labour Day. This means that demand is increasing, since most cruises by a given line don't vary much from trip to trip.
Also, earlier (May) there are fewer ships sailing the Alaska routes, which means less of a zoo onshore.
Having said all that, we're heading there - for our first time - in July. But that's because the specific itinerary we were looking for only sails that once at that time.
The above posts have recommended May. To make sure the onshore attractions you want are open, I wouldn't go before the Memorial Day weekend (i.e. the last weekend in May).
Happy sailing.

9 hours ago, Canuker said:

The above posts have recommended May. To make sure the onshore attractions you want are open, I wouldn't go before the Memorial Day weekend (i.e. the last weekend in May).
Happy sailing.

I have gone many times in May and have been there before and after Memorial Day. I don't notice any difference in onshore attractions. Well - there are the bear watching but those don't start until mid-end of July.

And as noted, don't hit Denali before June 1st. Otherwise, never problems in cruise ports before Memorial Day.

1st time to Alaska coming up or us as well.  Best time to be in Alaska... when you're there!    Seriously ...I'm sure anytime is great (for different reasons) ...we choose early June because: 

• we wanted a shot at seeing Orca's  (May/June only) in Seward
  • May/June typically the driest months
  • Moose are calving in June (might catch a glimpse) 
  • June is apparently the best time to see herds of caribou (float plane trip perhaps)

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, m921759 said:

Also 1st timer here... Does anyone have experience about forest walks/hiking in May? We are looking for example at a forest walk to Deer Mountain Trail at Tongass National Forest from the Ketchikan pier.

Not personal experience and not Ketchikan. There were a lot of hikers checking in with the National Park Service Rangers in Skagway and they were giving them suggestions and maps.

2 hours ago, m921759 said:

Also 1st timer here... Does anyone have experience about forest walks/hiking in May? We are looking for example at a forest walk to Deer Mountain Trail at Tongass National Forest from the Ketchikan pier.

In May the concern would be mud/snow/slush depending on what kind of spring weather they get.  And bugs.

Use this web site as it contains first hand info from hikers:

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/alaska/deer-mountain-trail

I have been to Alaska many times in early to late May.  The month features much less average rain, more baby animals experiencing new life, still snow in the higher elevations, lower cruise prices, lower airfare prices, no mosquitos, less crowded, kids are still in school, and there are still ice flows near the glaciers.

• Like 2

I've cruised all the time frames,  and each offers excellent touring opportunities.    BUT,  I suggest you figure out what you specifically want to see and do on your trip.   There are activities that won't be available.     As mentioned,  the bear tours, with the bears eating salmon is  July- and later.    Fishing is also poor in May.    I will say, however,  I saw about 20 bears randomly during my 6 weeks early season this year.   One day,  I had the gift of 5.   🙂   

So a basic,  with my priority is binoculars,  and ALWAYS  having them me.   🙂   

On 12/23/2019 at 8:48 AM, sr71_1 said:

1st time to Alaska coming up or us as well.  Best time to be in Alaska... when you're there!    Seriously ...I'm sure anytime is great (for different reasons) ...we choose early June because: 

• June is apparently the best time to see herds of caribou (float plane trip perhaps)

Out of Seward in mid September, we took a Kenai Fjord cruise and ended up following a big pod of Orcas for approx. 15 minutes. One of the highlights of our time in Alaska.

On 12/23/2019 at 8:48 AM, sr71_1 said:

What’s the source of your information?    Frankly the only point I agree with is the potential dryer.   

Your herds of caribou is way off   Herding up is late  fall and winter 

I’ve seen orcas over the entire season.   The key factor is to have multiple opportunities.    Certainly isn’t just May/June out of Seward.  

On 12/28/2019 at 10:01 AM, m921759 said:

This past season-  it was a mud slick with my single attempt.  I went to Ward Lake/ Preserverence trail which was ok.    

Mt Roberts had. snow    😀.