Delta Baggage Handler Broke My Mobility Scooter

kitty9

We flew Delta from DTW to MIA for a a cruise and we waited and waited for the brand new scooter to be brought up to the gangway. My sister saw the guy using my scooter like a Razor scooter, with the seat back folded down, his knee on the seat back, and pushing the scooter with his other leg.  My sister ran up to him and said you’re not supposed to do that because scooters are very fragile.  She put the key in, turned the scooter on, pressed the throttle, and it wouldn’t move.  Found out they somehow cut the wires inside the tiller.  

Delta was not helpful.  They just couldn’t understand why I couldn’t walk from baggage claim to the taxi line and get on the ship, where they might find me a rental scooter.  How many times do I have to tell them that I can’t walk, that I’ve been disabled since I was 2 because of polio, and I can barely stand without assistance?  Complete morons.  Finally a senior assistant came by and really busted his behind to accommodate me.  They got me in a taxi, made sure there was a wheelchair at the terminal, and had a rental scooter delivered to the ship.  So if you ever have a baggage problem in Miami, ask for Bruce.  

Should we now talk about getting Delta to repair the scooter?  Ha Ha.  They washed their hands of it once we left the airport, despite promising to have it repaired. I’ll post when I get home and find out where my scooter is and IF it gets repaired. 

4 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Sorry to hear about you having to go through this. Hope they make this right.

Something like this is where the power of social media could actually help you out. 

Or thrid (3rd) party travel insurance...

I Am so sorry to hear about this mishap before boarding, at that...

bon voyage

19 hours ago, kitty9 said:

Should we now talk about getting Delta to repair the scooter?  Ha Ha.  They washed their hands of it once we left the airport, despite promising to have it repaired. I’ll post when I get home and find out where my scooter is and IF it gets repaired. 

I assume you got some kind of paperwork at the airport before you left?  Something that included a claim number?   Hopefully you did not just accept a verbal promise. 

I'd also follow up with their disability CRO department if it doesn't match the information you were given.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/accessible-travel-services/overview

If Delta doesn't resolve the issue to your satisfaction, follow up with a complaint under the Air Carrier Access Act (which covers air travel rather than the ADA) 

http://www.southwestada.org/html/guide_to/acaa.html