1st timer on Carnival Cruiselines ( Splendor )

Cruiselkm

Hi everyone. Im looking at booking a 8 nighter on Carnival Splendor for next august, will be myself and my 15 year old daughter. After doing 3 previous cruises on P&O, Im obviously expecting it to be somewhat different.

So if someone has time, could they answer some questions for me, as I understand she is a new ship for Australia.

Do they have a zipline, and/or outside climbing activities ( rock wall, walk the plank etc )? My teen loved that at P&O.

Is there a section where you can and choose your food, like a buffet ( P&O Pantry style)?

Alcohol. Im a wine drinker, how are the prices?

Entertainment. Lots to see? My daughter wont be going to any kind of teen kids club so whatever we see will be looking at together.

Gosh, probably lots more qyestions but a big too excited to think, wasnt planning another cruise for a few years so this has kind of just happened. Oh, and the price we have seen is $869 each for 8 nights to Pacific Island, Noumea, Isle of Pine, Mare. What do you think of this price?

Thank you all so much and please let me know anything and everything 🙂

Edited by Cruiselkm
spelling mistakes

I would start here https://www.carnival.com.au/cruise-ships/carnival-splendor.aspx as well as here https://www.carnival.com.au/news/carnival-splendor.aspx. She was dry docked in October/November before sailing to Sydney so even if people sailed on her before she's has changed so this might be the best place for up to date information.

Edited by M2LR

I was on Splendor a couple of years ago, so my info isn't the most current, but she did not have zip-lining or rock wall type stuff at that time. She does have a buffet, it is on the Lido deck and is open for all meals. I would also highly recommend Guy's Burger Joint (if she has one now), very good hamburgers/fries. 

Drink prices are typical bar prices, so prices vary from around 6 or 7 dollars for a beer up to 15 or so for some mixed drinks. The Cheers beverage package might be a good option if you'll have more than 5 or 6 a day. 

I can't really help with the entertainment since I don't go to the shows anymore, but they will have some. 

A few other tips:

-The sea-day brunch in the main dining room is usually very good. 

-The adult-only Serenity area up on the sun deck is a nice quiet place to escape the loud atmosphere of the main pool.     

How much of a drinker does red wine drinker mean? If you are saying 2-3 glasses with dinner or 10 over the course of the game. If you estimate 7 per glass, if you drink more than 7 per day it probably makes sense to get Cheers (the unlimited drink package). If you drink less, especially think about how many on port days, than pay per drink.

Here is what I have seen most recently posted for red wine on Carnival. Keep in mind this is US pricing so Australia will probably be slightly different.

Pinot Noir, Robert Mondavi  $    7.25
Pinot Noir, Estancia  $    7.95
Chianti Classico  $    7.95
Merlot, House  $    7.00
Merlot, Hogue  $    7.25
Merlot, Ancient Peaks  $    7.95
Cabernet Sauvignon, House  $    7.00
Cabernet Sauvignon, Robert Mondovai  $    7.25
Cabernet Sauvignon, Clos de Bois  $    7.95
Shiraz, Katnook Estate  $    7.25
Zinfandel, Zen of Zin  $    7.25

We did an 8 day on Splendor in 17 to South Caribbean - She is a very basic ship; none of the frivolities you are seeking.  Shes a little older - late 2000 I think - probably before they started really cranking out the "entertainment ships"

That being said, there is a lot to do - They have pretty good activities and lots of dining options.

Unless their policy has changed, I believe that you are able to bring a bottle of wine on board with you when you get on the ship.  They do have an AI drink package - its spendy, imo not worth it - its easier to just plan on having a "bar tab" at the end of your cruise.

If you have any "tender" stops, I would highly suggest to get the FTTF excursion when you book.  Have fun

I do know from previous comments in cruise critic that the Cheers package is more expensive in Australia. It is $119 pp per day which even with the conversion still is $83 USD vs Cheers on US ships longer than 3-4 days is $51.95 USD (or $61.30 as I don't think the Australian one charges a gratuity).  So you might find it harder to justify the package as worthwhile unless the drinks are much more expensive too.

Edited by M2LR

I cruised the Splendor over to Singapore before the dry dock. I know they added a couple of slides, including Green Thunder.

You will love the Cruise Director, Lee Mason. He is fabulous and very personable.

If you want to see the new and improved Splendor, I would check YouTube for videos after dry dock, or just google Splendor Australia. 
You also might want to post on Cruise Critic Australia thread, which focuses more on cruises for the Australia market.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/564-australia-new-zealand-cruisers/

Enjoy your cruise!

On 12/27/2019 at 8:37 AM, Cruiselkm said:

Hi everyone. Im looking at booking a 8 nighter on Carnival Splendor for next august, will be myself and my 15 year old daughter. After doing 3 previous cruises on P&O, Im obviously expecting it to be somewhat different.

So if someone has time, could they answer some questions for me, as I understand she is a new ship for Australia.

Do they have a zipline, and/or outside climbing activities ( rock wall, walk the plank etc )? My teen loved that at P&O.

Is there a section where you can and choose your food, like a buffet ( P&O Pantry style)?

Alcohol. Im a wine drinker, how are the prices?

Entertainment. Lots to see? My daughter wont be going to any kind of teen kids club so whatever we see will be looking at together.

Gosh, probably lots more qyestions but a big too excited to think, wasnt planning another cruise for a few years so this has kind of just happened. Oh, and the price we have seen is $869 each for 8 nights to Pacific Island, Noumea, Isle of Pine, Mare. What do you think of this price?

Thank you all so much and please let me know anything and everything 🙂

I always watch YouTube videos of any ship I’m thinking of sailing. The best tour videos are by Cruise Radio. If the Splendor has gone through dry dock recently, try to find the most recent reviews.