NCL Bliss best MDR dishes healthy?

cementhands

We’re going on the Bliss soon and my wife has recently recovered from health issues so we’re very concerned about eating right for 14 nights. Doctors advice on eating right whilst on a long cruise....
Are the fish dishes any good on the Bliss?

Any other healthy suggestions for breakfast lunch and dinner? 

3 hours ago, cementhands said:

Are the fish dishes any good on the Bliss?

I found the breaded flounder to be quite good, so did a travel companion that had never had that fish before (to the point that we both had it 2 nights).  That dish is on the "classics" menu, meaning it's available most nights.

If she is on a specific diet because of medical issues, I would definitely let Norwegian know ahead of time, and they will be able to work with you. It's hard to guess which entrees have a lot of butter or salt or potassium or ingredients that might pose a problem, depending on the medical issues. "Healthy" will mean different things based on her medical conditions.

If it's not a medical diet, are you looking for low calorie, low cholesterol, low salt, low fat, low carb? 

A lot of the fish is breaded or fried or cooked with butter or rich sauces, which might not work for her depending on her needs. I bet NCL could do a plain grilled fish, but it would be a special request.

Edited by SeekingtheSun

OP,  did the doctor actually suggest a specific diet? Low fat, low sodium, low potasium, etc.? If, so, your wife should probably ask her physician for more details. But generally, you can't go wrong with the Mediterranean diet, which is rich is fish, fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts, olive oil instead of butter. 

Fish rather than meat, but stay away from deep fried fish (or deep fried any thing -- I'm talking to you, french fries!) Salmon is an excellent choice. And as for breakfast, eggs, bacon and sausage are a heart attack waiting to happen. It's alright to have it occasionally, just not every day. We usually go to the restaurant for a sit-down breakfast and always order the fruit plate as part of it (it's also the only time I can get my husband to eat fruit). The yogurt parfait is also quite good.

Just remember: salt and fats are not your friends!

One word....buffet.  There are many more healthy options and you get as much of what you want without all the "unhealthy stuff" on the same plate.

I was heavy and diagnosed with breast cancer over 4 years ago.  With the aide of a dietitian I changed my life style and learned how to eat correctly....for health.  (The 45 lb weight loss was a positive side effect!)

I've found the fish in the MDR isn't good and they put sauce on it as well as give you other "junk nobody needs" with it.

In the buffet...I can get the fish (which I've found superior to mdr fish)...loads of vegetables and salads.

Not what you want to hear....but MDR is a no-no for healthy eating.  Buffet is a wonderland. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, suometar said:

OP,  did the doctor actually suggest a specific diet? Low fat, low sodium, low potasium, etc.? If, so, your wife should probably ask her physician for more details. But generally, you can't go wrong with the Mediterranean diet, which is rich is fish, fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts, olive oil instead of butter. 

Fish rather than meat, but stay away from deep fried fish (or deep fried any thing -- I'm talking to you, french fries!) Salmon is an excellent choice. And as for breakfast, eggs, bacon and sausage are a heart attack waiting to happen. It's alright to have it occasionally, just not every day. We usually go to the restaurant for a sit-down breakfast and always order the fruit plate as part of it (it's also the only time I can get my husband to eat fruit). The yogurt parfait is also quite good.

Just remember: salt and fats are not your friends!

Not to get into a food war...but eggs aren't in the same category as bacon or sausage.  The good cholesterol outweighs the bad...and you should eat them more than occasionally.  One of my cruise treats is an omelet just about every day....cardiologist and dietitian approved.  

OP....your profile says you're from New England, where you probably get fresh fish.  The fish on the ship is frozen...really not as good.

Edited by April42749

7 minutes ago, April42749 said:

Not to get into a food war...but eggs aren't in the same category as bacon or sausage.  The good cholesterol outweighs the bad...and you should eat them more than occasionally.  One of my cruise treats is an omelet just about every day....cardiologist and dietitian approved.  

I agree-- let's not get into a food fight -- but the OP's wife's physician suggested healthy eating, which is rather broad. Can we agree that we all should eat healthy? While it is true that the cholesterol in eggs is not the same as that in meat based foods such as bacon or sausage, if someone is trying to lower their cholesterol for example,  neither choice is very good. That is why I suggested that the OP's wife might want to check with her physician what kind of diet she should follow. What is good for one person might not work for someone else.

2 minutes ago, suometar said:

I agree-- let's not get into a food fight -- but the OP's wife's physician suggested healthy eating, which is rather broad. Can we agree that we all should eat healthy? While it is true that the cholesterol in eggs is not the same as that in meat based foods such as bacon or sausage, if someone is trying to lower their cholesterol for example,  neither choice is very good. That is why I suggested that the OP's wife might want to check with her physician what kind of diet she should follow. What is good for one person might not work for someone else.

Agree....she should ask what is healthy for her, not me or you.

As a note, a side effect of my cancer med raised my cholesterol and now I have to take meds to lower it.  The cardiologist still said the benefits of eggs outweighs the bad effects. (Pre cancer I was on a "raise your cholesterol to unlimited heights" diet (lots of ice cream, cheese, cakes, candy, french fries, hamburgers...but no eggs) and my cholesterol was always low.)

Anyway....my whole point was that the buffet offers a lot more healthy options and you don't have the "unhealthy" side dishes. 

2 minutes ago, April42749 said:

As a note, a side effect of my cancer med raised my cholesterol and now I have to take meds to lower it.  The cardiologist still said the benefits of eggs outweighs the bad effects. (Pre cancer I was on a "raise your cholesterol to unlimited heights" diet (lots of ice cream, cheese, cakes, candy, french fries, hamburgers...but no eggs) and my cholesterol was always low.)

Anyway....my whole point was that the buffet offers a lot more healthy options and you don't have the "unhealthy" side dishes. 

April, I'm really sorry about your cancer!  But yours is an example why diets are not a one size fits all, but should be tailored for each individual's needs. I was recently diagnosed with high cholesterol and my physician prescribed Lipitor. Of course it would have been nice if she had told me first, and we could have worked out a way to lower it naturally. (I am not a big fan of pharmaceuticals.) So I did my own research and came up with foods that lower cholesterol -- fruits, vegetables, nuts, oily fish, but less animal and dairy fats. 

There's plenty of healthy food in the MDR, skip & choose, sides are small anyway. Menu items are basically the same across the fleet, nothing really unique to the Bliss MDR per se.

Grilled salmon, red snapper, trout & grouper were among the choices on the Gem last week.  For breakfast & even free lite breakfast room service - yogurt, fresh fruit plate, smoked salmon & bagel & cereal, etc. 

Be careful of high sodium level.

Collage 2019-12-15 09_57_08.jpg

17 hours ago, April42749 said:

My wife very similar as she is post stage 3 cancer. The treatments even exposed or increased her eye problems results surgery and many eye drops. Cancer is never over. Heart problems from treatment.
Yet she is surviving and thriving. Livestrong program at ymca was excellent.

Enjoys Zumba power pump yoga hiking dancing. Always ate right no drinking alcohol healthy and that’s why the doctors said she is surviving and thriving.

But she really watches her eating even more now.

Many thanks for all your kind suggestions.

CC is a great resource.

I’m going to try the healthy dining for both of us. On recent 14 nights gem I ate the fish a lot very good but my wife didn’t enjoy it as much. Taste buds are very sensitive after chemo. All the survivors understand that.

2 hours ago, cementhands said:

My wife very similar as she is post stage 3 cancer. The treatments even exposed or increased her eye problems results surgery and many eye drops. Cancer is never over. Heart problems from treatment.
Yet she is surviving and thriving. Livestrong program at ymca was excellent.

Enjoys Zumba power pump yoga hiking dancing. Always ate right no drinking alcohol healthy and that’s why the doctors said she is surviving and thriving.

But she really watches her eating even more now.

Many thanks for all your kind suggestions.

CC is a great resource.

I’m going to try the healthy dining for both of us. On recent 14 nights gem I ate the fish a lot very good but my wife didn’t enjoy it as much. Taste buds are very sensitive after chemo. All the survivors understand that.

I'm very sorry to hear about your wife's cancer but I am glad that she is doing well, and of course eating right is even more important when having such a serous medical issue. That is why I suggested that her doctor/medical team should be the ones to plan her dietary needs. If she has special dietary needs she can contact NCL and they will customize an appropriate diet for her. I wish your wife continuing good health and both of you happy sailing!

• Like 1

A few years ago before wife’s new heart issues due to chemotherapy were on the celebrity Equionox and the aqua spa cafe had chia seeds and fresh fruit berries and plain yogurt for breakfast.
Aqua spa cafe had your choice salmon or tuna grilled with healthy choice salads. Many salads included super foods.

Then a few years later on Celebrity eclipse for 14 nights no longer all the healthy choice food  in the aqua spa cafe as it must not have been popular. Practically no activities like zumba or dancing.

So we are enjoying Ncl now as they provided excellent activities on gem Halloween 2019.

On my "non-omelet" days I cut up an orange or melon, see if there are any walnuts (or any other nut) and add it to a little bit of fat free yogurt.   In my opinion, the NCL buffet makes it so easy to keep to a healthy diet.  We're going on the Bliss in March and I'm hoping it's just as good as the other mega ships in the fleet.  I also get to the gym daily.

To add:  I don't like pre-made "healthy things" because what they consider healthy may not be what I consider healthy.  

Edited by April42749

I agree with the buffet suggestion. We typically do the buffet for breakfast and lunch. Breakfast to have something quick plus to load up on fruit. Lunch also to have something quick but to load up on vegetables. Usually hit the salad bar and have some vegetable soup. Plus there are usually steamed vegetables somewhere on the buffet. At home my eating is close to 40% fruits and vegetables but we always seem to struggle to find good portions of fruits and vegetables in the dining room. The meals tend to be a large protein with a couple straggler veggies on the side. Yes, I'm sure you can order more veggies. But having a large salad for lunch does the trick for us too.