Sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale

jlnprt

I'm finally getting around to making hotel reservations for the day before our February cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale. I've seen lots of recommendations for hotels on this board and the Florida departure board. When I look at specific hotels, some mention they are close to Port Everglades, North Port and/or South Port. Are those all the same port/area? Checked my cruise info, but was not able to determine the answer. Thanks for your help!

The Port Everglades property is huge, once you've gotten past the security gates you (or your uber etc) can drive to any of the ships/terminals.  So it's pretty much OK if your hotel is somewhere in the vicinity.  17th street area hotels are a good choice, lots of dining and shopping in walking distance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jlnprt said:

I'm finally getting around to making hotel reservations for the day before our February cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale. I've seen lots of recommendations for hotels on this board and the Florida departure board. When I look at specific hotels, some mention they are close to Port Everglades, North Port and/or South Port. Are those all the same port/area? Checked my cruise info, but was not able to determine the answer. Thanks for your help!

Try using google maps.  

https://www.google.com/maps/search/Hotels/@26.0997335,-80.1487808,13z/data=!3m1!4b1

I've selected 'hotels' so you can see their relationships to the port.

Thanks for the great map. I think maybe I didn't word my question well. Are Port Everglades, North Port, and South Port all the same location? Don't want to make reservation near "the port," only to find out that my port is farther away. Not that I've ever done anything like that before!! 😆 😆 😆

If you're cruising from Fort Lauderdale it's from Port Everglades.  No idea what "north port" and "south port" are.

If you're referring to hotels named something like "Fort Lauderdale XXXX Inn Cruise Port North", that just means it's somewhat near Port Everglades, to the north of it.

Edited by bouhunter

Jlnplt---North and South Port are areas within Port Everglades. There are eight cruise terminal buildings in the complex. So, the best thing to do would be to look for your specific departure terminal number on a map. A good description is available on the Port Everglades website. Just type that name with a .net to go there. Hope this helps.

David

Port Everglades is large - the references to North Port and South Port just indicate the areas within it.  Most cruise ships dock in North Port or Mid Port.  North Port is on the north end (I know, right?) aka Princess corner (where Princess usually docks up by the 17th St causeway) HAL docks usually in one of several Mid Port terminals.

Doesn’t matter much where your hotel is - shuttle or cab is going to enter through one of the three security checkpoints/gates and follow the electronic signs which indicates where each ship is docked that day.

Edited by ShipsAreTheBest
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Keep in mind that there is a North Port, Florida and a Southport, Florida.

OP, if you are unsure of the location of the hotel just plug it into Google Maps.  If it is close to FLL you are good to go.  If, however, it is on the Gulf side that is not where you want to be.

• Haha 1

I realized that your driver won't know which terminal until entering the port complex where ship names and their terminal is displayed, as SHIPSARETHEBEST explained. HAL ships are usually at one of the midport terminals. An exception was when Prinsendam arrived last year, she was assigned to a new Northport terminal.

David

16 minutes ago, dawei said:

I realized that your driver won't know which terminal until entering the port complex where ship names and their terminal is displayed, as SHIPSARETHEBEST explained. HAL ships are usually at one of the midport terminals. An exception was when Prinsendam arrived last year, she was assigned to a new Northport terminal.

David

You can get the terminal on this site, although it doesn't appear to have information more than 30 days in advance, even if you do a query. Discovered that while my Koningsdam sailing next Thursday  will be leaving from terminal 26, when we return on a Sunday we'll be at terminal 21. Looks like Nieuw Statendam will be at 26 then.

https://pevvesseltraffic.broward.org/webx/

In any event, I doubt that most drivers would choose a specific gate even if they knew which terminal you were going to. Someone with experience would likely pick the least busy entrance. is there one?

Edited by MisterBill99

HAL tends to use terminals 26, 21 and 19 (normally).  That’s in the southern part of the Port Everglades.   Regardless, all terminals are available to you once inside the gate.   

id recommend staying in the 17th street area.  Much nicer than over near the airport.   

enjoy. 

There is also a site called pre-cruisehotels.com where you can put in the cruise port and the distance to the port that you want to search and the dates and it will list all the hotels and prices for hotels in that search.  Super helpful!

2 hours ago, goldmom said:

There is also a site called pre-cruisehotels.com where you can put in the cruise port and the distance to the port that you want to search and the dates and it will list all the hotels and prices for hotels in that search.  Super helpful!

Thanks! 

The most convenient location to stay pre-cruise is probably along the 17th Street causeway, also referred to as Harbordale. Only a few minutes from the airport and to Port Everglades. Many Hotels in this area, but they are pricey during high season. Lots of restaurants, and services, and shopping as well.  Be aware that a number of hotels reference cruise port location in their names but in fact are located much further away from the port than their names might suggest. Make sure to check hotel map locations before booking so you don't get a surprise. 

• Like 1

130551111_PortEvergladesmap.jpg.87c4a5da50c33c48eff6255164862c6a.jpg

On 12/27/2019 at 6:21 PM, jlnprt said:

Are Port Everglades, North Port, and South Port all the same location?

Northport, Midport, and Southport are simply areas of Port Everglades. The terminals HAL usually uses (19,21,26) are all in the Midport section, but once we sailed from pier 29 in the Southport section.

portmap_lg.thumb.JPG.076085edbb70a272e80aaa02eb476338.JPG

Edited by catl331