Thermoses and Nalgenes

Sinusoid

Has anyone brought empty refillable hot/cold beverage bottles on the ship? Does anyone care? 

I'm going on the Grandeur in a few days and I like drinking plain tap water and black coffee, so it'd be great to go to WJ in the morning and just fill the bottles for the day and rinse them out in the cabin sink each night. If I don't carry the water bottle around all the time, I forget to stay hydrated. Obviously the bottles would be empty upon boarding, and I'd do everything I can to avoid filling them directly and spreading germs around.

Edited by Sinusoid
clarity

When I first saw this topic, it looked like the title of Greek tragedy, Thermoses and Nalgenes.

We always bring water bottles to use in the gym and elsewhere. There are sometimes drinking fountains in the locker rooms for refilling. Otherwise you can get water at some of the cafes and other food outlets, but they have instructions not to fill directly. Instead, you fill a clean glass and pour into your container.

I think it is also possible to get water from the self-serve soda machines even if you don't have a drinks package.

Edited by CntPAcruiser
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

No problem with this BUT take seriously the recommendation not fill your own container directly from any drink dispenser in the Windjammer or another public area. There is a concern that splashback might contaminate the drink dispenser (even if you know that you washed the container thoroughly).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CntPAcruiser said:

When I first saw this topic, it looked like the title of Greek tragedy.

I have been out of school for a long time, but I believe that Thermoses was the god of hot (or cold) springs, and Nalgenes was the goddess who kept bottles from leaking.

5 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

No problem with this BUT take seriously the recommendation not fill your own container directly from any drink dispenser in the Windjammer or another public area. There is a concern that splashback might contaminate the drink dispenser (even if you know that you washed the container thoroughly).

Sorry. This is a RC money grab. So you can put your mouth above the water fountain in the gym, but not fill a water bottle. 

11 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Sorry. This is a RC money grab. So you can put your mouth above the water fountain in the gym, but not fill a water bottle. 

That is a very weird response.

How does RC profit from you filling a glass of water at the dispenser and pouring it into your bottle?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seville2Cabo said:

There is no health reason to no allow you to fill water bottles in the gym. Only trying to get you to buy water 

Do you even read the posts that you reply on??

it had NOTHING to do with filling water bottles in the gym; there are MANY places to fill your water bottle ion the ship for free, no conspiracy here to force you to purchase water; you just have to do it the proper hygienic way (the purpose of the post)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Do you even read the posts that you reply on??

it had NOTHING to do with filling water bottles in the gym; there are MANY places to fill your water bottle ion the ship for free, no conspiracy here to force you to purchase water; you just have to do it the proper hygienic way (the purpose of the post)

Bless your heart. Everywhere on ship says no refilling. The gym is the worst since you can drink directly from the fountain but not fill a bottle. 
So I need to bring multiple bottles if I’m going to be there for a long workout

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Bless your heart. Everywhere on ship says no refilling. The gym is the worst since you can drink directly from the fountain but not fill a bottle. 

I have never seen a sign above the drinking fountain in the locker room prohibiting filling a water bottle on any of the RCI ships I've sailed on. And while direct refilling is prohibited elsewhere on board, you are permitted to fill a clean glass and use that to fill your container.

9 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Wrong again; it doesn’t say “no refilling” anywhere, just advises to use a clean vessel 

to refill your bottle. 

7 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Wrong again; it doesn’t say “no refilling” anywhere, just advises to use a clean vessel 

to refill your bottle. 

We are in gym every day on cruise. Ever water fountain says no refilling water bottles. Where am I supposed to get clean glass in gym? 

4 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

We are in gym every day on cruise. Ever water fountain says no refilling water bottles. Where am I supposed to get clean glass in gym? 

Just because it’s inconvenient to follow the rules doesn’t mean there is a conspiracy to force you to buy bottled water. 

6 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Just because it’s inconvenient to follow the rules doesn’t mean there is a conspiracy to force you to buy bottled water. 

I do follow the rules. But tell me what reason, except for selling water, can there be for not allowing bottles from being filled when you can put you mouth to the faucet 

OP,

I bring my empty Yeti type of cups - one larger for water and one smaller for coffee. I usually get the soda package, so I also have that cup to use.  I bring along a tiny dish soap container and just clean my cups in the cabin.

The only people that have seemed to notice/care/comment just say they wished that they had thought about bringing a cup on board.

• Thanks 1

I've carried refillable mugs/tumblers on Grandeur and it works out fine. You can even ask for a glass of ice water in a bar and transfer it to your own container.

The problem I encountered, though, was that it's quite difficult to rinse out a bottle/tumbler or a straw in the stateroom bathroom, because the angle of the faucet and the vessel sink creates a major physics challenge. You may want to bring along an extra bottle you can fill with water to rinse out your coffee cup. I'm also bringing lots of my reusable straws so I can swap out a clean one as needed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Hmmm

Let's think this through.

Perhaps you could bring a clean glass with you to the gym. Fill the clean cup up and transfer it to your preferred bottle.

Or you could just drink out of the fountain and be done with it.