Boots for rocky/muddy terrain

Debbers

We will visit penguin rookeries during our cruise, and have questions about footwear.  Are wellies sufficiently grippy for slippery, rocky areas?  We love our hiking boots, which are very grippy, warm, and comfortable, but they pick up loads of mud and are not easy to clean off.  We are not thrilled with the idea of bringing penguin droppings into our cabin!  Any advice would be much appreciated.

We saw the King Penguins in the Falklands at Volunteer Point.  I considered bringing something like Wellies or hiking boots but decided not to due to packing issues.  I wore Sketchers--with a little care about where to place your feet, really didn't get any significant amount of mess on my shoes.

I suppose this could be different if it was really rainy/messy, but it wasn't that much of a problem when we were there.  The other place we saw penguins had wooden walkways and you were not supposed to step off of them.

I do live in the country though, so probably am a little more used to dirt roads, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I read in the South America forum that someone said to bring painter's or doctor's booties that you wear over your shoes and can then discard once you are away from the droppings area.  I thought that sounded like a good tip and so have bought a few pairs at our local Home Depot and will be trying them out in a couple of weeks when I, too, visit Volunteer Point.

Hope this helps.