Dress code for Alaska

labgalbella

The official HAL dress code is the same for Alaska as any other cruise - Smart Casual. That said, I believe there are fewer people who choose to dress more formally for Gala Night on Alaska cruises. So I don't think you would feel intimidated if you choose to go Smart Casual on Gala Nights. You should be fine, leaving your more formal clothes at home.

Good Morning!

We were on a 2 week Alaska cruise in July (2019) and I would say the dress code was extremely casual. Many people were dressed in jeans and sweaters in MDR. Pinnacle and Gala nights had women in slacks and a few guys wore jackets, but we were surprised when a couple came in Pinnacle with Bermuda shorts and they were allowed in.. and sat across from a group of officers.

My sweet husband and I like to dress a bit, but it is our personal choice and we do not look down on others that choose a more casual dress. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

The dress code is the exact same EVERYWHERE HAL sails. It doesn't change. If people stretch it  towards the more casual side in Alaska, that is a different topic.

How is casual dress in Alaska a different topic if that's exactly what the OP asked? 🤔

Anyways, OP, yes, it is definitely more relaxed in Alaska.  Men mostly wore polos or button downs with slacks and woman mostly wore casual dresses or slacks with a nice blouse.  This includes Gala nights.  

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

How is casual dress in Alaska a different topic if that's exactly what the OP asked? 🤔

As stated, HAL's dress code doesn't change anywhere they sail. It's people's interpretation and compliance that changes in various locations, like Alaska.

I think things have changed over the years.  On Gala nights I have seen men without suit coats.  Three or four years ago I was sent back to get a suit coat.  This was a formal night coming out of Alaska. We had just left Ketchikan.