Canrival Pride Flight Time BWI

wemjam

We have only ever sailed out of Baltimore once (years and years ago) and we drove there.  I was looking at booking airfare and was told by Carnival that our flight home should not be before 2pm.  This seems really late.  While we have cruised a bunch, it is usually out of Florida ports.  Curious for those that go out of Baltimore more frequently, would a 1:15pm flight home REALLY be cutting it too close?  I know FL well enough to know I can book something home 1/2 - 3/4 of an hour earlier then they suggest and have never had a problem but don't know why Baltimore would be Soooooo late.

We are on a Sunday to Sunday cruise, so can't imagine traffic on a Sunday morning back to airport would be that bad.

PS:  We are Diamond and always do the early carry off your own luggage debarkation so we are like the first ones off the ship.

Appreciate any help.

I live in the Baltimore area and have sailed on Pride four times. If the ship returns on time, and if (as you say) you will be among the fist to disembark, then you may book something earlier than two. But as you can see, the swiss cheese holes have to align for that to be a safe bet, otherwise you run the risk of a missed flight. It will take approx 45 minutes to get from the port to BWI if you taxi or Uber. Security lines can be long, so factor another 45 minutes to an hour to get checked in, check luggage if required, and get through security (and yes, even Pre-check lines can get long as there are lots of military/government folks living in the area who qualify).  My advice: book something around 2-3pm and rest easy knowing you run a low risk of missing your flight. If you're willing to accept higher risk, then book earlier.

Edited by swodog94
Mistakes

The Pride usually arrives back in port between 9:30 and 10:00 (which is much later than most ports).  It's a pretty hefty drive to the airport, so even if you are among the first off of the ship, by the time you clear customs and secure transportation, it would be tight!  Most airlines want you checked in a couple hours early.  Getting through security and to your gate would be pushing it, I'm afraid.

4 minutes ago, yogibear said:

Don't know when you are cruising. If during football season, you need to be aware if the Ravens have a home game. That adds to traffic in the area.

Karen

Cruise beginning of August and airfare isn’t out yet 

thanks again 

According to Google Maps it is 13-14 minutes (10-12 miles) from Baltimore Cruise Port to BWI.  Port of Baltimore is listed as similar distance but about 25 minutes.  I'm not sure why taxi's/uber would take so much longer unless you have to wait for them to arrive.

OP - as others have stated the Pride returns later than many ships and sometimes has a late arrival, which is why a later flight is advised.

Our first Pride cruise we were severely delayed and didn't debark until after 4:00, and I don't remember clearly on our other cruise with a normal arrival time.  I think on a normal cruise you can start debarkation no later than 10:00 since they start letting cars in around 10:30 and need current cruisers out of the way for the new cruisers to arrive at the lot, possibly as early as 8:30?  I'd verify with others before making flight arrangements on my faulty memory though 😉 We always drive to the port so the times don't stick out much for me.

Uber is less than $20.00.  Much less than the Baltimore union Taxi drivers get after they take you on a tour around the Inner Harbor before you get to the ship.  More than once we were in sight of the Grandeur and just needed to take a slight right off ramp to get down to her when we went downtown for an expensive tour.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

According to Google Maps it is 13-14 minutes (10-12 miles) from Baltimore Cruise Port to BWI.  Port of Baltimore is listed as similar distance but about 25 minutes.  I'm not sure why taxi's/uber would take so much longer unless you have to wait for them to arrive.

OP - as others have stated the Pride returns later than many ships and sometimes has a late arrival, which is why a later flight is advised.

13-14 minutes is without traffic. Road crews typically use the weekend to clean out the drains along 295 and more often than not, there is traffic due to a wreck or because it's blocked off down to one lane.  As someone who lives in and drives through this area, if I had a flight out of BWI, I would give 1 hour of travel time.  If I hit no traffic and get to the airport in 15 minutes, great! If I hit traffic, at least I'm not stuck in traffic panicking about my flight.  But that's me 🙂 

And as others have stated, the Pride can be late getting back into port, but I feel like she's always gotten in earlier than stated on all my cruises.  If you have TSA precheck, that only helps you a little because everyone and their mother has precheck around here, so don't plan on flying through security (no pun intended lol)

With all that said, I would actually feel pretty comfortable booking at 1:15 flight out of Baltimore. 

• Like 2