Florida Tax On Beverage Package

JEM4205

1 hour ago, Redwing55 said:

Not sure on the most recent policy... and even more so with a Medallion class, but in the past, if one purchased a soda package from a crew staffed TABLE.. not bar, it didn't get charged the tax.  I think it's because the transaction was done on paper slips and entered after ship left port.  Now, if one purchased it at the bar, it did show the tax.  

Interesting!  It is probably the same method used as far as paying corkage on your wine that you bring onboard.  If you have several bottles and sign up to pay corkage on them there in the security area, you only pay for the corkage fee without tax but, if you pay it in the dining room, you are charged the port taxes.  Clearly,  this is only fair as you are not going to drink all those bottles while you are still in port.  

On 1/5/2020 at 7:30 PM, brisalta said:

I do not understand how they get to charge ales tax as the ship is not even registered in the USA and is considered foreign territory.

A ship in port is subject to all the laws of that port.  In the United States, that includes municipal, state and federal laws.

Like so many things, my experience with being taxed for onboard purchases when in port has been intermittent--sometimes I see a charge but, usually, not.

The question of adding tax to corkage fees is interesting.  In California services are not taxed, and, appropriately, I have never been charged tax on corkage for wines that I have brought onboard.  However, there is a lot of talk about changing that part of the law so that services can be subject to sales taxation.  So, the truth may change regarding that particular transaction.