Gratuity breakdown

new.b.cruiser

26 minutes ago, Até said:

I've never seen a cruise line that discloses any type of details about how they distribute the automatic gratuities they collect.

Carnival gives a breakdown but how accurate it is?....who knows?

For your convenience, Carnival will automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $13.99 USD per guest, per day in standard accommodations and $15.99 USD per guest per day for guests booked in suites.

Here is the breakdown, per day:

• Housekeeping Team: $4.35 ($6.35 for suites)
  • Dining Team: $6.89
  • Alternative Services: $2.75

As for MSC, I've never seen a breakdown nor have I actually cared. If/when I want to give extra above the daily charge, the amount is up to me. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, new.b.cruiser said:

Hello, 

Can someone tell me the gratuity breakdown on msc sailing to the Caribbean? I cannot for the life of me find it on their website and would like to know how it gets split among the staff.

Thank you! 

Was never disclosed and anyway according to staff the formula is so complicated, nobody understands and it changes all the time*. If anyone on the ship tells you the breakdown, don´t believe it, I am quite sure, that there is not one person knowing it. 

* For example with now so many drinks packages around the sales of drinks is not a factor anymore for the waiters in the MDR I was told. 

On 1/6/2020 at 6:36 AM, dexddd said:

It has been awhile but DCL used to break it down as well.

They still do.

I didnt find it odd at the time but now that its been mentioned, it is strange we dont have a breakdown.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aprilF said:

They still do.

I didnt find it odd at the time but now that its been mentioned, it is strange we dont have a breakdown.

Same here, i know carnival does as well. And its nice to see what amount goes to who, i feel if it's published its more likely to be properly distributed and not partially pocketed especially since MSC doesnt even call it a gratuity.

1 hour ago, new.b.cruiser said:

Same here, i know carnival does as well. And its nice to see what amount goes to who, i feel if it's published its more likely to be properly distributed and not partially pocketed especially since MSC doesnt even call it a gratuity.

I agree.  On DCL when I felt like someone did a job worthy of more, I gave extra.  Didnt even think about giving extra on MSC because I never got the tip "bill" to look over.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, deliver42 said:

I haven't seen it on any cruise line, and I don't care. I pay it and the crew deserves it. I also tip extra at certain people.

You are making the assumption that the crew is getting 100% of it. That may be the case on some cruise lines, and it may not. That is precisely why you should care.

• Like 1