Compare Rotterdam to zaandam. Who has cruised on both?

Hflors

First let me say for both of our important anniversaries ( 40th and 45th ) dh and I have taken long cruises on rotterdam (our favorite ship) because of zaandam going at the time we want to go and place we want to go we are looking to cruise on her.  From what I can tell she looks very much like Rotterdam, with an extra pool.  If you have cruised on both, did you notice any differences?  In your opinion do the two ships have the same "feel"?  We will only have one 50th so I want to be pretty sure we are picking the "right" ship.  Thanks for any insight you can give.  Helen

The Zaandam has 2 decks at the stern that are open to all, whereas the Rotterdam has all verandah rooms.

Yes, the second pool, too.

I do like the decor and trim better on the Rotterdam, but not enough to select over the other.

If the Zaandam doesn't have the lanai rooms still, that is better for deck chair users on the promenade as well.

We have been on both ships, and I have to say, we didn't love Rotterdam.  We were only on for a week (E. Canada), and we had toilet issues in the room, so I really shouldn't comment, as that will probably never happen again.  We did enjoy Zaandam for longer cruises, 28 days in SA and a two-week Alaska cruise.  But we will be on Rotterdam again in April, for longer, and we are looking forward to it.  If you really liked Rottie, then I'm sure Zaandam will be just as good, if not better!

Zaandam 2016, Rotterdam 2017.  Both have been drydocked  since those sailings. I can’t point to one thing but I found the Zaandam clean and shipshape and unfortunately cannot say the same for the Rotterdam 

We sailed Rotterdam for  many days and I always liked her very much but they ruined her by  tearing out her aft pool etc,  Rotterdam was once very special but not now, IMO>

Zaandam  is a lovely ship in very good condition.  Choose your ship by  the itinerary you like b est, IMO

The last Rotterdam drydock was in 2017.   She was supposed to go in around November 2019, but because the Rotterdam is helping take up the slack for the loss of the Prinsendam, that drydock was cancelled and the next one is scheduled for December 2020.    They used a long Trans-Atlantic segment recently to rip out the Mix area on deck 5 and install Billboard Onboard.   They did it with passengers onboard.  They moved the piano up to the Crow's Nest and boarded off that area on deck 5 while they did the construction.