$10 room service charge. Do I tip the person who delivers too?

Petoonya

7 hours ago, Petoonya said:

I don't know if $10 is on the chintzy side! If I'm paying a $10 service charge and then $10 on top of that to the person who delivers for $20 total, I'd say that's pretty generous. I don't get it 😞

It’s not at all chintzy. That is ridiculous. A couple bucks to the delivery person is greatly appreciated. And you can tell by their response that a lot of people don’t tip them at all. 

7 hours ago, Petoonya said:

I don't know if $10 is on the chintzy side! If I'm paying a $10 service charge and then $10 on top of that to the person who delivers for $20 total, I'd say that's pretty generous. I don't get it 😞

A $10 tip for room service is very generous.  Of all the pretentious comments I've read out here, that one about $10 being a poor tip is the WORST.  You have to consider the source.  Some people just don't offer much out here, but are quick to criticize others.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vince_g said:

Of all the pretentious comments I've read out here, that one about $10 being a poor tip is the WORST.  You have to consider the source. Some people just don't offer much out here, but are quick to criticize others.

But....aren't you criticizing the person (Love my butler) who criticized the $10 tip? :classic_blink:

IMHO I think a $10 tip for room service is already too generous.  We usually tip $2 or $3 depending on how much we order.  That being said, we do not tip when there is a service charge.  If we are paying $10 for the convenience of ordering room service, then it is up to NCL (or whichever cruise line is charging a room service fee) to distribute that room service charge among those delivering room service.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, vince_g said:

A $10 tip for room service is very generous.  Of all the pretentious comments I've read out here, that one about $10 being a poor tip is the WORST.  You have to consider the source.  Some people just don't offer much out here, but are quick to criticize others.

Thanks Vince. Something tells me that the person may have read my post wrong and maybe read it as $1 instead of $10?

Or was maybe being facetious? No matter, hope everyone's having a great day 🙂

I think it depends.  If the room service arrived fairly quickly / within expectations and the person was very friendly / courteous, I'd probably tip them regardless of a service charge.  I think the service charge goes into the ether...

Edited by GettotheSun

1 minute ago, ray98 said:

When a service fee is added to the price of the food?  Not my experience.

I’ve never seen a hotel room service menu that didn’t show the service charge for room service, who doesn’t tip room service?

6 minutes ago, ray98 said:

When a service fee is added to the price of the food?  Not my experience.

Maybe it depends where you live or the restaurant.  For me, there are many restaurants / food establishments (even pizza places) that overlay a "service charge" for delivery (pretty sure even Domino's does this where I live...need to check).  I'm highly doubtful that service charge goes to the poor guy in his car delivering your pizza.  This is true of several food establishments near me - and I'm not talking about using a food delivery service like Foodora or SkipTheDishes, etc...  I mean the actual food establishment.  So yes, I would tip the driver in those situations...but there is also a service charge.

Edited to say - my comment wasn't meant to be about hotels, but about the concept of a service charge for delivery in general.

Edited by GettotheSun

55 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Why? Hotels charge for room service, a tip is still expected.

Ncl is not charging for the food.  Their charge is a "convenience fee."  You paid for the food in the cost of the cruise.  At a hotel you are paying for whatever you order.  And they all add an 18% to 20% service charge/tip on top of that.  So no, an extra tip is not expected at a hotel. Another thing to consider is that the cruise room service person is not driving miles to your house.  They are getting in an elevator and bringing you a tray.  They are most likely doing room service as a usual duty when they are not doing buffet duty or MDR duty.  It's just a regular part of their jobs for which they most likely get tips from the daily service fee we are ready paying.  No the room service guy is obviously not getting ten bucks per delivery from NCL's charge.  But I still feel when NCL is charging a convenience fee, it's there problem to take care of the deliverer.

23 minutes ago, gizfish said:

Another thing to consider is that the cruise room service person is not driving miles to your house.  They are getting in an elevator and bringing you a tray.  They are most likely doing room service as a usual duty when they are not doing buffet duty or MDR duty.  It's just a regular part of their jobs for which they most likely get tips from the daily service fee we are ready paying.  No the room service guy is obviously not getting ten bucks per delivery from NCL's charge.  But I still feel when NCL is charging a convenience fee, it's there problem to take care of the deliverer.

Fair point.  I dunno.  Someone said on a thread about tipping 'go with your gut'...I think that is the best advice one can give!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

I’ve never seen a hotel room service menu that didn’t show the service charge for room service, who doesn’t tip room service?

Everyone tips room service at a hotel.  It is called a service charge.  That is the reason it exists.

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

Agree with you. I tip room service at a hotel on top of the service fee. Same as tipping the restaurant delivery person in addition to the restaurant delivery service fee. You just want to be sure the person who'd doing the running is getting something.

To each his own though. 🙂

I think you will be disappointed in the food compared to Oceania from what I've heard about the brand. Princess' hot food from room service is also not that great. I only order room service in a pinch - midnight meal when I don't feel like eating at O'Sheehan's and hadn't eaten dinner. I give a $2 tip to the delivery person.

Of you want late night food without a charge run down to the sports bar, usually O 'sheehans and and grab something. The fajitas, chicken wings, and spinach artichoke dip are really good. They are open 24/7

Edited by nicsmama649