Hair dryer question?

The Mommy

Good Evening

I wonder if anyone could help me with this question please?

I have a Dyson hairdryer which I was planning on taking with me on board - can anyone tell me if the voltage on the ship is Ok for this to function?

I have been told that the dryer wont work in the cabin?

Thank you 

35 minutes ago, The Mommy said:

Good Evening

I wonder if anyone could help me with this question please?

I have a Dyson hairdryer which I was planning on taking with me on board - can anyone tell me if the voltage on the ship is Ok for this to function?

I have been told that the dryer wont work in the cabin?

Thank you 

I have used my US Dyson on board ship without issues when plugged into the US outlet. I'd be really bummed if it didn't. The Dyson takes 11 minutes to dry my long thick hair. The ship provided dryer or my other dryer take upwards of 45 minutes. That's too much valuable vacation time wasted. I LOVE MY DYSON!

I just noticed that you're from England so you would need to know about plugging yours into the European outlet. Sorry I don't know that. I do know they aren't dual voltage. I'm just guessing that if yours is European plugged into that outlet it would work, but I'm not sure. I just know about the US in the US outlet.

Edited by Luvcrusn
  • Thanks 1

Hmmm.  Not sure why it wouldn’t work but I don’t have a Dyson.   I use a powerful hairdryer  and always take it.  Can not stand the ones on board.  They do not get hot enough (in my experience)  to “style” my hair at all and having to keep the on button held down the entire time is a pain.  

• Thanks 1

If your hairdryer was bought in the UK it will be 220v and not dual voltage ( check to make sure). You will need a UK/European plug adaptor and can only use the European style outlet in the cabin. The North American style outlet is 110v, and attempting to use it with your dryer (or anything else that isn't dual voltage) could damage it.

Edited by mom says
  • Thanks 1

I’m sorry, I didn’t notice you were in the UK when I answered!    Unless something has changed, Dyson hairdryers are unfortunately not dual voltage.   I almost purchased one prior to a trip to Israel a few months ago but changed my mind when I realized it wasn’t.

• Thanks 1

Not sure about Dyson but here is my hairdryer experience.  We are from Canada and have 110V.  2 cruises ago I decided to be a minimalist and not pack my hair dryer....big mistake!!!  The cruise ship ones are terrible.  I have thick curly hair and it just wasn't up to the task.  On our most recent cruise we spent a few days in Barcelona and I couldn't get my hairdryer to work properly with the voltage adapter we took with us.  The hairdryer got waaaay too hot to the point it scared me.  DH said I was risking burning out the motor of the hair dryer and the voltage adapter we had couldn't support a 1000+ watt hair dryer.  You need to ensure you have a voltage adapter that supports the wattage of the hairdryer you are using. The voltage adapter we bought we a last minute purchase....we had ordered a really good one (or so we thought) from Amazon, and it didn't work at all.  So ended up buying one at the airport last minute.  

For Christmas I got a travel hair dryer from Sephora.  It is dual voltage and comes with a difuser which I need for my curly hair.  It weighs almost nothing compared to my regular hairdryer.  I tried it out quickly and it is very powerful.  Will be putting it to a real test as we are leaving for a cruise this Saturday 🙂   I did a lot of research and there were only 2 travel hairdryers that met my specifications lol.   Both were under $50 CDN.   I was really surprised Dyson wasn't dual voltage as I would have loved to have tried one.  

• Thanks 1