Just Cruised With Premium Plus Beverage Package - Happy to Answer Questions

moviegal

20 hours ago, moviegal said:

Was on the Joy last week, and Vueve Clicquot WAS INCLUDED with the Premium Plus upgrade, both by the glass and by the bottle at dinner in the main dining rooms (Taste, Savor and Manhattan) as well as the specialty restaurants. Not all bars had it stocked, but most did, especially after the first night. I drank a LOT of it, too!

VUEVELARGE.jpg

Sounds promising. Thanks!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, moviegal said:

One other little thing that's worth mentioning - I sailed out of Los Angeles so when the ship was in port in California, everything we ordered that was "free" with the beverage package, was subject to local sales tax. This was ONLY in California and ONLY when we weren't sailing, but those little $1 - $5 tax charges added up! Just be aware.

This happens in other ports as well.  It is subject to the local authority and is not an NCL charge, those taxes go back to the city or port.   Everyone wants their cut of our vacation money.    We have paid it in Miami and Seattle.   TBH, I'd rather pay a $2 tax on a cocktail than slurp down this lukewarm coffee at my desk on this dreary January day... oh to be on vacation...

• Like 1

I have a couple of questions if someone doesn't mind answering them. I have an upcoming cruise on Bliss and the beverage package was one of the free perks. I'm not sure if I need to upgrade to premium or not.

1. Can you order 2 drinks at a time on the regular drink package or on the PPBP? On my last cruise (RCCL) hubs and I had the Bev package and we could order two drinks at a time bc we both had it. So I would go up and order our 2 alcohol bevs and then he would go and order 2 virgin daiquiris for our teens. Can I do that on NCL too?

2. Is water included on the "free" beverage package perk? Is it included on PPBP? What is the cost of a bottle of water?? Just regular water, not sparkling.

3. Is soda included on the "free" package?

4. Is Starbuck's really included?? And Can you do the 2 drink ordering if 2 people in cabin have the package?

We just booked yesterday, and I’m trying to decide whether to do this upgrade from the “free” beverage package. I have questions about the included wine bottles.

Is the wine list the same at each restaurant, or would different specialty restaurants have different wines? What about the Haven restaurant?

Is it clear on the menu which wines are included in the package?

For those who have tried the wines, how are they? On our last NCL cruise, we brought on 8 bottles of wine and paid the corkage fee. Well worth it, as these wines would have cost $60-$100 in a restaurant, maybe more on a cruise ship. 

We are not super-big drinkers, though we like it to be premium when we drink. We also drink a lot of espresso drinks, bottled water and sparking water. Almost nothing in the regular beverage package appeals to me, as we don’t drink sweet cocktails or soda at all. I’m still having trouble understanding how the two of us would drink $500 worth in a week, but maybe we could. And I do like having almost the entire cruise experience paid for upfront. 

41 minutes ago, HeatherLynne said:

I have a couple of questions if someone doesn't mind answering them. I have an upcoming cruise on Bliss and the beverage package was one of the free perks. I'm not sure if I need to upgrade to premium or not.

1. Can you order 2 drinks at a time on the regular drink package or on the PPBP? On my last cruise (RCCL) hubs and I had the Bev package and we could order two drinks at a time bc we both had it. So I would go up and order our 2 alcohol bevs and then he would go and order 2 virgin daiquiris for our teens. Can I do that on NCL too?

2. Is water included on the "free" beverage package perk? Is it included on PPBP? What is the cost of a bottle of water?? Just regular water, not sparkling.

4. Is Starbuck's really included?? And Can you do the 2 drink ordering if 2 people in cabin have the package?

For the regular drink package (or the "Free" perk):

1. Yes, we met folks on the "Free" perk package and they could get two drinks at one time.

2. No. You must upgrade to the Premium Plus Package to get bottled water.

3. No. You must upgrade to the Premium Plus Package to get soda.

4. Yes and No. Starbucks is NOT included with the "Free" perk regular package. You must upgrade to the Premium Plus Package to get Starbucks. And yes, you can get two drinks at a time, no problem. I'd often get two different teas or Frappuccinos at a time just to do a taste test! And yes, everything on the Starbucks menu (espresso, regular coffee, iced teas, lattes, nitro cold brew, etc.) was included with the upgraded Premium Plus Beverage package.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, HeatherLynne said:

If we were ordering 2 drinks at a time, the bartenders usually only asked for one of our cards, because it was quicker for them to just run one card. My husband would also sometimes go downstairs and get us both coffees on his one card, so I think getting 2 drinks on one card is not a problem. When we’ve ordered drinks for us and the kids at a bar, the bartender usually just asks for our two cards and not the kids’ cards, so we don’t end up paying for their drinks. We’re not trying to cheat the system. They are just trying to serve a lot of people quickly, and this is what they do. 

I wish NCL offered a premium non-alcoholic package, like Celebrity does, because my teens like sparkling water and coffee drinks, and don’t really drink soda, especially Pepsi products. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, CarolinaMamma said:

We just booked yesterday, and I’m trying to decide whether to do this upgrade from the “free” beverage package. I have questions about the included wine bottles.

Is the wine list the same at each restaurant, or would different specialty restaurants have different wines? What about the Haven restaurant?

Is it clear on the menu which wines are included in the package?

For those who have tried the wines, how are they? On our last NCL cruise, we brought on 8 bottles of wine and paid the corkage fee. Well worth it, as these wines would have cost $60-$100 in a restaurant, maybe more on a cruise ship. 

We are not super-big drinkers, though we like it to be premium when we drink. We also drink a lot of espresso drinks, bottled water and sparking water. Almost nothing in the regular beverage package appeals to me, as we don’t drink sweet cocktails or soda at all. I’m still having trouble understanding how the two of us would drink $500 worth in a week, but maybe we could. And I do like having almost the entire cruise experience paid for upfront. 

I didn't stay in the Haven, so I can't answer that question. But most of the bottles of wine were the same on every menu. I love wine, and I didn't drink any the entire cruise because the selections were, as a whole, mediocre. The bottles weren't great quality wines (again, they may be fine for you, they just weren't for me). I mostly made use of the champagne that was included. If you are a wine lover, I'd think long and hard about upgrading to the Premium Plus package (that's just my advice). BYOB and paying corkage probably would make more sense if you're picky about what you drink. 

On the dinner menus, the included bottles are clearly marked with a * next to them. The staff can help too. I'd say maybe 6 or so bottles were listed as included in the main dining rooms. (I just realized all the stupid photos I took during my cruise, and I didn't get one of the dining room wine list)!

If you want premium liquor, then definitely upgrade. I also drink a lot of still and sparkling water, and I enjoyed having chilled bottles of Pellegrino and Acqua Panna. I easily consumed $250 worth of Starbucks drinks. I'd have at least 5 or 6 brewed iced teas per day (sure beats that instant stuff in the buffet), as well as their nitro brew coffee, cappuccinos, frappuccinos for dessert, etc. It was fun to go have scones in the Observation Lounge and pair it with a high quality double espresso from Starbucks (and then a glass of French champagne). I'd sometimes even get a cappuccino and add a shot of Bailey's from the nearby bar.

I think if you upgrade, don't concentrate too much on getting your money's worth. I got a value out of the money for the entertainment of it alone. It was so much fun just to order drinks and not have to worry. It made for a ridiculously fun activity!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, moviegal said:

For the regular drink package (or the "Free" perk):

3. No. You must upgrade to the Premium Plus Package to get soda.

Has something changed? I got soda all the time when I had the drink package on my last three cruises. The last one was in April. Have the rules changed?

5 minutes ago, Zippeedee said:

Has something changed? I got soda all the time when I had the drink package on my last three cruises. The last one was in April. Have the rules changed?

Fountain sodas from the tap are included in the premium package. 

freshly squeezed juice is not and needs premium plus. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zippeedee said:

No, I made a typo and can't edit my post. Fountain sodas (not canned sodas) ARE included in BOTH drink packages. Sorry for the confusion!

Did you have any problems at some of the bars calling out your brand. For example, at the pool bar, if I  wanted a pina colada and called out Malibu rum, the bartenders acted put out. I felt like I was doing something wrong.  What kind of advice do you have ordering/calling out your brand and having the bartenders understand.  A few times I called out my drink, and they still poured the generic stuff. It frustrated me enough that I will not upgrade.

19 hours ago, 2+2 said:

Did you have any problems at some of the bars calling out your brand. For example, at the pool bar, if I  wanted a pina colada and called out Malibu rum, the bartenders acted put out. I felt like I was doing something wrong.  What kind of advice do you have ordering/calling out your brand and having the bartenders understand.  A few times I called out my drink, and they still poured the generic stuff. It frustrated me enough that I will not upgrade.

No problems at all! Only once did a bartender get confused and used the “cheap” stuff. I didn’t catch him in time but he tossed the drink and made me another with zero fuss. I think they reach for the house brands out of habit. Don’t let that stop you from upgrading, it really wasn’t an issue. 

17 minutes ago, Trimone said:

I can buy Verve for £33.00, so surely it’s better to buy four bottles pay the corkage @$15.00 a bottle....just get the free package for normal drinks....so easy? 

If Veuve Clicquot, is your only reason to upgrade I would do exactly what you suggested. When we don't upgrade we bring on a nice bottle of white, red, and champagne x2. bUt if you like the waters, fresh fruit juices, starbucks drinks and upgraded liquors it's worth the upgrade for some.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moviegal said:

No problems at all! Only once did a bartender get confused and used the “cheap” stuff. I didn’t catch him in time but he tossed the drink and made me another with zero fuss. I think they reach for the house brands out of habit. Don’t let that stop you from upgrading, it really wasn’t an issue. 

My communication skills must be pretty bad, because I have problems ordering the cappuccino too. It's 50-50 for me with getting the right call drinks also. Thanks for the report.

On 1/9/2020 at 3:26 PM, moviegal said:

Was on the Joy last week, and Vueve Clicquot WAS INCLUDED with the Premium Plus upgrade, both by the glass and by the bottle at dinner in the main dining rooms (Taste, Savor and Manhattan) as well as the specialty restaurants. Not all bars had it stocked, but most did, especially after the first night. I drank a LOT of it, too!

VUEVELARGE.jpg

Holy shamoley, just googled this (tbh, not much of a champers fan, never heard of this stuff) and YIKES, that's $$ to buy on shore!  Might just have to try it with dinner one night on the Getaway 🙂

On 1/8/2020 at 9:45 PM, L1211 said:

Just disembarked the Sun today. Bottle service was quite limited and Veuve was not included. Wine was very frustrating because nice wine by the glass was ONLY available in the dining rooms. And good luck trying different wines in the MDR. The wait staff is already stretched too thin. Champagne bar needed to include high end wines!!

Were you able to get Vueve or any other non- crappy champagne by the glass? 

thanks so much!!

On 1/11/2020 at 3:01 PM, kcl57 said:

Holy shamoley, just googled this (tbh, not much of a champers fan, never heard of this stuff) and YIKES, that's $$ to buy on shore!  Might just have to try it with dinner one night on the Getaway 🙂

Don't get too excited, it's the yellow label Vueve Clicquot, not the other super pricey stuff from that champagne house. It's still really good, but it costs about $38 a bottle at Total Wine.

On 1/11/2020 at 10:32 AM, Trimone said:

I can buy Verve for £33.00, so surely it’s better to buy four bottles pay the corkage @$15.00 a bottle....just get the free package for normal drinks....so easy? 

Oh absolutely it's more economical to bring your own bottles, which we normally do, but it was such a relief to not have to haul bottles onboard with us. We were 100% relaxed at embarkation because it was hassle-free and we weren't burdened with heavy wine bottles.

We decided to go for the upgrade because it was FUN and a great source of entertainment to walk up to any bar and get whatever the heck we wanted whenever the heck we wanted it. Tried all sorts of special drinks "just because." So much more fun than bringing your own bottles.

I found the package worth it, my champagne was always from a freshly popped cork and served well chilled in proper stemware, and I absolutely adored being able to get the brewed iced teas at Starbucks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, moviegal said:

Don't get too excited, it's the yellow label Vueve Clicquot, not the other super pricey stuff from that champagne house. It's still really good, but it costs about $38 a bottle at Total Wine.

It’s 50 bucks plus in Michigan 

On 1/10/2020 at 1:36 PM, HeatherLynne said:

So I would go up and order our 2 alcohol bevs and then he would go and order 2 virgin daiquiris for our teens. Can I do that on NCL too?

Officially that's against the rules of the drink package on both lines (probably all cruise lines that have packages). Ordering drinks with your package and giving them to someone that doesn't have the package (your kids) is strictly verboten. Both lines can, and have, revoked drink packages for sharing and then charged you individually for each drink you had.

There will be plenty that have gotten away with sharing, but it's still a risk. On NCL there's also some that when they tried to pay for their kids drinks the bartender/server just rang it up under the adults package anyways. 

People sharing drinks as you have are why Royal now requires everyone over 21 in the cabin to have the drink package. I also think it's why NCL has currently changed their free at sea package to include everyone in the room over 21 for the same reason. 

18 minutes ago, Lionkingrichard said:

Yes I had to look. lol

Doing the math on upgrading.

Just drinking a couple double Whistle Pig's or Macallan Quest's per day would help!

$35x2=$70 plus 20% is $84. Only on NCL!

One drink?

Technically it's $20x2=$40 plus 20% is $48. The free at sea package covers the first $15.