Paid corkage fees marked on the bottles?

Bob7

The bottle was not marked the one time I was charged the corkage fee for the bottle that was purchased from the Fun Shops and had been delivered to our stateroom.  This resulted in a one time occurrence for us and it certainly won't happen again.  I can understand a corkage fee for a bottle we brought on board on our own and not purchased from any Carnival venue.  Being charged a corkage fee for a bottle of anything that was purchased and/or delivered on board from a Carnival venue, however, not so much.  

Edited by Florida Paesano
  • Like 1

We just pour our wine into a glass in the cabin.  That works fine for me, but I suppose if you wanted to have more than one glass of wine, that wouldn't work for you.  At any rate, I was under the impression that the corkage fee was only in the dining room.  Or maybe you were thinking of taking the bottle into specialty dining?

I always have the MDR hold the rest of the bottle for me for the next night.  They mark it with our room number and will bring it out for us.  Obviously, they aren't going to charge for corkage if they are bringing the bottle to you 🙂

• Like 2

As with everything cruising, your experience may be different than others, based on cruise line, ship, HD policy and even up to the server you have in the MDR.

I've heard stories of all bottles being charged corkage, nobody being charged corkage and everything in between. I've read that someone who was gifted a bottle of champagne for their honeymoon was charged a corkage in the MDR yet someone who brought a bottle with them from shore (and sitting at the same table) was not charged corkage.

Everything is dependent on the day of the week, the phase of the moon and the sun, the day your server was born and how the chicken bones line up when you throw them.

You might be charged, then again, you might not. Just be prepared for it.

• Like 2

We like to have wine before dinner, while listening to music somewhere on the ship.  We always open our wine in the stateroom, pick up wine glasses at one of the bars, and enjoy it!  No one has ever questioned it, and we've done it for years.

21 hours ago, tigereye said:

Can you carry a bottle of wine into any venue other than dining room?

Short answer ... yes.  Now, if you ask a server in a bar to help you open that bottle, they can notice that you have a non-Carnival bottle of wine and charge you a corkage fee, but I wouldn't even ask for help.  Just open it yourself and carry it wherever you wish (MDR corkage fee discussion above - we have almost always been charged).

16 hours ago, coevan said:

you do not "have" to pay corkage fees. Bring the bottle back to your cabin and pour 2 glasses, not that difficult. No way I would pay $15 for a $15 bottle of wine. We, like Mouche, have never been charged.

We just bring two glasses with us.  If I'm already in the dining room I really don't want to trek back to the cabin, pour the wine, then go back to the MDR.  I agree not paying the corkage fee, but going back to the cabin if confronted with the bottle may be more hassle than some want to deal with.

While you (or @mouche) have never been charged, do you bring the whole bottle with you?

23 hours ago, tigereye said:

Can you carry a bottle of wine into any venue other than dining room?

Per Carnival guidelines, the carry-on bottle is to be for in-cabin consumption only.  I have never had an issue taking a glass with me on the ship (I wouldn't take glass to the pool decks though), but technically the bars and specialty restaurants could charge corkage fees for any bottle brought with you.

18 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

We just bring two glasses with us.  If I'm already in the dining room I really don't want to trek back to the cabin, pour the wine, then go back to the MDR.  I agree not paying the corkage fee, but going back to the cabin if confronted with the bottle may be more hassle than some want to deal with.

While you (or @mouche) have never been charged, do you bring the whole bottle with you?

Per Carnival guidelines, the carry-on bottle is to be for in-cabin consumption only.  I have never had an issue taking a glass with me on the ship (I wouldn't take glass to the pool decks though), but technically the bars and specialty restaurants could charge corkage fees for any bottle brought with you.

Yes I have always brought the whole bottle and have also brought the glasses or have asked our waiter for glasses with no problem. I have also taken my wine bottle to the Serenity area with no problem. On my next to last cruise, we had our bottle sitting on the table and our waiter brought us a ice bucket for our wine without being asked. Now that's service!!! 

• Like 1

Nice! It's a shame it isn't consistent for everyone.  We usually ask for glasses at a bar on the way to the cabin at some point throughout the day.  Our cabin usually only has water goblets, and when we did ask the room steward for glasses he didn't have wine glasses.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 1:17 PM, pacruise804 said:

Nice! It's a shame it isn't consistent for everyone.  We usually ask for glasses at a bar on the way to the cabin at some point throughout the day.  Our cabin usually only has water goblets, and when we did ask the room steward for glasses he didn't have wine glasses.

You have to ask at a bar.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

I normally cruise Princess and am able to carry on as many bottles of wine as we want. Last cruise was three of us, brought 16 bottles for a 15 day cruise. Paid the $15 upfront for 13 bottles and had out 3 free ones for consumption in the room.

Thought I'd be able to do the same on carnival. Everyone is telling me no... Strictly the one per person even if I'm ok wIth the corkage.

Anyone here bring more than the one per person?

16 hours ago, Ellizabeth said:

Hi all.

I normally cruise Princess and am able to carry on as many bottles of wine as we want. Last cruise was three of us, brought 16 bottles for a 15 day cruise. Paid the $15 upfront for 13 bottles and had out 3 free ones for consumption in the room.

Thought I'd be able to do the same on carnival. Everyone is telling me no... Strictly the one per person even if I'm ok wIth the corkage.

1 bottle per person (750 ml). That is all you get to bring on board with you

On 1/15/2020 at 9:35 AM, pcvtmom said:

We like to have wine before dinner, while listening to music somewhere on the ship.  We always open our wine in the stateroom, pick up wine glasses at one of the bars, and enjoy it!  No one has ever questioned it, and we've done it for years.

That is what we do as well.

On 2/1/2020 at 8:42 PM, Ellizabeth said:

Hi all.

The policy is very specific.  You are permitted to carry on 1 750ml bottle of wine per person 21 and over.