Packing & I can’t go without...

Davis2010

What is one (or more) items that you’ve forgotten, wished you had had, or pack every.single.time for Alaska? 

Any unique items that a Florida girl would never consider?

I’m getting (Purchasing) items a little at a time second hand or thrift store or borrowing.

Since you asked, my walking stick/monopod. Even though My 600mm has VR, it may have been nice to be able to steady it if the weather had not been bright. Fortunately, it was very clear and sunny every day but the one day we did the 4 hour Orca watch out of Seward on a large rolling boat where only high shutter speeds mattered.

• Like 1

Well, as far as what Floridians might not think of -- warm accessories! They don't have to be ARCTIC in warmth, but something to cut the wind. Look into "neck tubes" that can be worn in multiple ways. I like to have two -- one for a cowl and one over my ears! They are REAL cheap on eBay. Pricier from REI or the like, although the quality is better.

Again -- gloves. They don't have to be thick like for snowmobiling. In fact if you're going to be taking photos, you might want "fingerless gloves" those that cover your palms but leave some part of your fingers free.

Finally, my favorite slightly unusual travel accessory is the snap-up nightstand valet (tray). the one trip we left them behind (to shave off a few ounces), we went to the Barcelona equivalent of a Daiso or dollar store and bought two small plastic trays to use for our transAtlantic! You can find other things to use for this, even a collapsible lid to a shirt-box. Or some box or tray that isn't collapsible, that you can pack flat and filled up in your suitcase, which is how I brought home the ones from Spain.

MLP457H.tif]&sink=format[jpg],quality[70]

Edited by crystalspin

1 hour ago, Davis2010 said:

What is one (or more) items that you’ve forgotten, wished you had had, or pack every.single.time for Alaska? 

A passport. All Alaska cruises either start in Canada (Vancouver) or call in Canada (Victoria or other). Plus if you want to take the train at Skagway (and you should), a passport is needed.

• Like 1

A few of my "wish I had not forgotter items" that I now have on all of my packing lists:

• small screw driver for eyeglasses screws
  • small flashlight to find bathroom without awakening everyone in the stateroom
  • European electrical outlet adapters to use with electronics
  • portable cellphone charger
  • polarizing filter for my camera
  • poncho to keep my camera dry during the rain
  • an empty water bottle to refill for excursions
  • Equal sweetner
  • electric hand warmers for whale excursions
  • Post-it Notes
  • cellphone charging cable
  • second pair of glasses
  • small alarm clock
  • extra thumb drives
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Well, as far as what Floridians might not think of -- warm accessories! They don't have to be ARCTIC in warmth, but something to cut the wind. Look into "neck tubes" that can be worn in multiple ways. I like to have two -- one for a cowl and one over my ears! They are REAL cheap on eBay. Pricier from REI or the like, although the quality is better.

Again -- gloves. They don't have to be thick like for snowmobiling. In fact if you're going to be taking photos, you might want "fingerless gloves" those that cover your palms but leave some part of your fingers free.

Finally, my favorite slightly unusual travel accessory is the snap-up nightstand valet (tray). the one trip we left them behind (to shave off a few ounces), we went to the Barcelona equivalent of a Daiso or dollar store and bought two small plastic trays to use for our transAtlantic! You can find other things to use for this, even a collapsible lid to a shirt-box. Or some box or tray that isn't collapsible, that you can pack flat and filled up in your suitcase, which is how I brought home the ones from Spain.

For the fingerless/ thinner gloves & neck tubes (or gaiters) - this is a great time to look.  Old Navy here in CT has these on clearance!  Only $1.

Crystalspin - it's a neat accessory - but why did you feel you need it?  I've been on very rocky cruises and rarely have had things fall off the nightstand.  And Alaska cruising is typically not as rough as transatlantics.

*my 3-in-1 coat (has a detachable inside layer and hood)

*new travel space bags for packing all my cold weather gear together so that it takes up less space (just be aware that it will add weight to your checked back for flying)

*a multi-usb charging port

*a usb backup for the pictures on my phone

4 hours ago, VermeulT said:

Crystalspin - it's a neat accessory - but why did you feel you need it?  I've been on very rocky cruises and rarely have had things fall off the nightstand.  And Alaska cruising is typically not as rough as transatlantics.

Mine is even larger/deeper! It's not that things fall off from rough seas, but they could be knocked off. I use it not only for night time pocket-emptying, but to hold my 2-4 pair of peepers and keepers, matching earrings and any other costume jewelry in a small zipped case, lip balm, throat lozenges, my dental night guard after morning rinsing...

My husband is neutral about his, but he does use it. Mostly for at night things: readers, sunglasses, pen, room-cardkey, hearing aides in case, and cellphone if there is a charging outlet at the bed.

We've been to Alaska twice and returning in August 2020. This time I'm planning to bring a real (paper) map of Alaska so I can follow our travels. I know the ship has maps in the lobby and there are maps on your phone, but I still like the real thing so I can try to identify islands, mountains, etc.

And I second the suggestion of good binoculars.

• Like 2

Because we are out on deck a good portion of the time while cruising Alaska I always make sure to include eye drops, sunscreen and lip balm for my lips.  Alaska weather can be all over the place so I always make sure I am prepared for rain, wind or sun.

• Like 1