Has anyone enjoyed the Epic Western Med?

Peachypooh

Not much I can add to what I have already seen posted but we were on in October out of Barcelona and had a wonderful experience. The Itinerary is so port intensive you won't really have enough time to not enjoy the ship. If given the opportunity I would do it all again.  

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

We are thinking of booking the Epic Western Med starting in Barcelona.

I just finished reading around 50 reviews and only a few were positive.

Is it really that bad? I am assuming with so many port days the ship would

be secondary but still....hate to fly all the way to Europe and spend

probably close to $15,000  and have it be a waste. 

YES YES YES YES YES YES

Our family cruised on Epic last summer and it was amazing. We are a family of 5 adults, our 3 adult kidss are in college. We had a very limited window during which we could all travel secondary to work, internships, etc.

Flew to Rome , spent 2 days there and then off to Civattivechi...well, the port.

We stayed in a Haven 2br suite . The staff all over the ship was outstanding, the food was good as was the entertainment.

Easy on-off ship. SHip was full but seemed much less crowded than our previous Getaway/Escape trips

One caveat to embarking in Rome- your on-board photo acccount will be reset in Barcelona; our fare included a photo package and it took quite some searching by the photo crew to dig up our pics from the first few days of the cruise.

It was a great trip, we pre-hired our own tour guides for most ports .

Great trip .

• Thanks 1

We just did this itinerary last year.

Epic is a quirky ship but I thought that enhanced the experience! As long as you're okay with the bathroom setup.

The ports are great, but be warned it's a very tiring itinerary with long days. By no means is this a relaxing cruise. Also, the Rome day is a headache. Everywhere you go is another crowd. Barcelona is incredible.

Edited by Alegeeter
  • Like 1

I did this one in late Oct/early Nov last year and loved it. I got on at Civitavecchia because I was spending some extra time in Rome before & after the cruise. Embarkation was pretty quick and easy because the majority of people get on in Barcelona. 

The only thing I don’t really like about this itinerary is the overlapping cruises. I made some great friends and then had to say goodbye to some of them in Barcelona!

I’ve done this route twice and I know people that do it every year. The prices are usually amazing. Yes epic isn’t the best ship.. but it’s far from bad! And you will be busy enough with the ports, there isn’t enough time to do anything on the ship anyway. All then good stuff is far from the ports and you may spend lots of time driving 

But other than that, it’s not bad atall! Try it for yourself 

My daughter and I did this cruise in June of 2019. It was my third time on the Epic but first time sailing the Mediterranean. It was an amazing cruise!

We embarked in Barcelona...if you sail from there, I definitely recommend spending a few days before your cruise touring this fabulous city.

It’s nothing like sailing in the Caribbean...the port days are VERY long and the weather, even in June, was not warm enough for the pool (although the pool was packed on the one sea day...but we are Floridians...so our idea of pool weather is different!).

If you decide to book...take a look at italytours.eu they have cheaper excursions than the ship with considerably less people. 

12 hours ago, mamashamiller said:

How do you find affordable airfare from east coast to Barcelona?

we found the cheapest fare was on Norwegian Air.  We flew from LAX for $700 last Sept.  

They have limited service in the US and most of their flights are only 2 or 3 times a week which limits your time in BCN.  ie we landed on a Thurs afternoon and sailed Sunday afternoon, so only 2 1/2 days in Barcelona.

Another option to try is www.skyscanner.com. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Doon3557 said:

Booked out of Rome July 8 & can't wait!! 

Coming from Australia & spending 3 nights in Rome pre cruise. 

Do try and pre-book the Borghese gallery in Rome. One of our favourite museums and not one that you can usually just turn up at.