travel insurance for Canadian

highmark55

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for trip cancellation/interruption & medical insurance. I have been reading this forum and have checked out the popular providers (mytripinsurance, travelex, tripinsurancestore.com etc.), however, these are geared to US folks and not available for us up in Canada.

Does anyone know of/recommend a provider that operates in Canada ?

Thanks in advance,

Jan

I'm not Canadian so I do not really know the answer to your question, but I did notice something while looking to buy annual travel insurance to cover all my trips in a given year, rather than one trip at a time. 

Two companies offer coverage to residents of many countries, traveling anywhere:

Divers Alert Network - I think you have to be a member for $35/year, but I don't think you have to be a diver.

World Nomads

Some years ago I worked in an urgent care clinic in western Washington State, just south of the Canadian border.  We saw quite a few patients visiting from nearby British Columbia, and they always had travelers' health insurance even though they were less than 30 minutes from a Canadian hospital.  They must buy it somewhere!

• 2 weeks later...

I found the higher end credit cards have automatic travel/medical insurance coverage if you are under 65. From 65-75, there will be addition cost. BMO used to have good coverage on their Elite MasterCard but they no longer accept new clients on the coverage, only grandfather the existing clients under 65. Check TD, CIBC and RBC websites. They have similar insurance coverage at good rates, usually a few hundred dollars per year for 2.

Highmark55,   I am late in replying.  So, chances are you already have your insurance.    We trust RBC and their all inclusive insurance.  We also have higher end credit cards from two other banks that also have excellent travel insurance.  But one has to remember that when relying on credit card insurance one has to have paid for the entire trip from start to finish on that card for the insurance to kick in.   A lot of people travel with a combination of points and cash and credit card travel and medical insurance will not protect them in those cases.    Additional insurance then has to be bought to provide protection and that is when we would turn to RBC.    

Luckily for us our employers insurance cover us for 31 days out of the country in terms of medical and if fact out of the province.

On 2/11/2020 at 2:04 PM, pink845 said:

Highmark55,   .....But one has to remember that when relying on credit card insurance one has to have paid for the entire trip from start to finish on that card for the insurance to kick in.   A lot of people travel with a combination of points and cash and credit card travel and medical insurance will not protect them in those cases.    Additional insurance then has to be bought to provide protection and that is when we would turn to RBC.    

The above may be RBC policy. I only have TD and BMO credit cards. Here is the BMO policy: 

4.3 Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption/Trip Delay and Flight Delay Benefits Coverage Eligibility
Coverage applies only when You charge the full or partial cost of Your Trip to the Primary or Family Cardholder’s MasterCard when booking Your Trip.

4.5 Out-of-Province Emergency Medical Benefits for cardholders under age 65.

You do not need to charge Your Trip to Your MasterCard to be eligible for this coverage, providing Your MasterCard Account is in Good Standing.

If one of covered persons is over 65, we have to pay extra premium to extend the coverage to 75.

Stag,  Very interesting. 

4.3 Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption/Trip Delay and Flight Delay Benefits Coverage Eligibility
Coverage applies only when You charge the full or partial cost of Your Trip to the Primary or Family Cardholder’s MasterCard when booking Your Trip.

Sounds like you have a great card.   I see that my CIBC and TD Cards also have similar clauses to your BMO card.  Must be that the RBC one is more restrictive.   However, it has always served us very well and has paid out many claims in the past so we have much trust in it.