Using your phone with the internet package

twonpcb

When my husband and I cruse, we prefer to “unplug” and totally remove ourselves from electronic devices and the problems of the outside world.  For that reason we have never had any interest in purchasing the internet package.  Next week, we are cruising with a close friend of ours and she was asking that if she purchases the internet package, will she be able to make and receive texts/phone calls on her phone.  Can anyone shed light on this for me?

Yes, as long as her phone will do WiFI calling.  If her phone is not already set up for WiFi calling, enable it at home while connected to cellular.  Then test by putting the phone in Airplane mode and turning on WiFi.

• Like 2

If she doesn’t have WiFi calling. She can use the WhatsApp and make calls over WiFi and text through it if she gets the internet package. It’s owned by Facebook. Or if she has Facebook she can use messenger to do that as well

9 minutes ago, DustFSU said:

If she doesn’t have WiFi calling. She can use the WhatsApp and make calls over WiFi and text through it if she gets the internet package. It’s owned by Facebook. Or if she has Facebook she can use messenger to do that as well

Can that make calls to phones without WhatsApp or even wireline phones?

If iPhone FaceTime might be a good solution - then you can also use iMessage for text. Does require iPhones at ‘both ends’ - I have used FaceTime and iMessage on the surf only package.
Highly recommended to test before the cruise whatever solution you might choose.

Both Android and Apple iPhones from ATT have a Calling over Wifi built in so no additional Apps required.  Can call and text anyone in the US whether it is a cell phone or a land line.  I am pretty sure phones from other carriers have this feature built in.

I have used it on cruise ships and it works pretty well. It is not perfect. I didn't even have surf and stream and it worked well.  Surf and Stream may however be better.

At least a week or two before the trip fully test this at home.  Try both outgoing and incoming calls and texts both on the same cell system and to people on other cell carriers and calls to from land lines.

It is much easier to fix issues while not on a cruise.

Host Clarea explained how to do it.

The ability to text and call or be called from friends and family is the only reason we ever buy WiFi on cruises.

I've been using Google Voice for years.  The last 3 RCI cruises, I've switched my phone to Airplane / WiFi on, and had no issues at all with Texts, Calls, FB, Twitter, anything.  Big piece of advice, though - most everyone are quite happy being unplugged for vacation, so make your screen time discrete, and take conversations away from the blissfully unplugged.

And, no, the Surf & Stream package is not required.  It's overkill for voice and text.  The Surf only package is quite enough unless one just has to live stream Surfrider, Rock Climbing, Waterslides, ...

Edited by gmerick
Add Surf & Stream non-reco

8 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Can that make calls to phones without WhatsApp or even wireline phones?

You can call to real phones using Skype.  But you have to create an account and put money on it.  It is not expensive.  IIRC, less that 10 cents per minute.

But people cannot call from their phone to you (unless they use Skype on a smart phone).

That is why WiFi calling is so much better.  You make and get calls, just like you were connected to your phone cellular network.

BTW, WiFi calling works from hotel Wifi when traveling internationally.

2 hours ago, SRF said:

That is why WiFi calling is so much better.  You make and get calls, just like you were connected to your phone cellular network.

BTW, WiFi calling works from hotel Wifi when traveling internationally.

Totally agree, no apps to deal with or ask friends to load.