Viking Homelands - Currency

duquephart

Many tour guides and shops accept US currency, but it’s useful to have Euros. If you use dollars or euros in a country not in the EU, you’ll generally get change in that country’s currency. You can also use credit cards in many places, just be sure to register your trip with your credit card company. 

Looks like Russia (not in EU), Sweden, Denmark, and Poland all have their own currency. We will, of course, be using a CC for anything more than incidentals. I'm just wondering about tips mainly. Will euros or dollars suffice? Even in Russia?

We did Homelands in 2019.  Had about 30 euros when we left and took those with us.  We spent the euros first chance we had (Denmark), and never touched any other non-US currency on the entire trip.  Took about 50 $1s, 20 $5s and 10 $10s and a couple $20s.  Everyone was more than happy to accept them as tips, CC for everything else. Had no issues with needing coins, etc. for bathrooms.

38 minutes ago, duquephart said:

So, what I'm hearing so far is that dollars will suffice. I wonder how badly the tip recipients get beat up (exchange fees) when converting to the local currency.

If you are concerned about this, add a few US$,  our experience is that they gladly accepted $US and it probably was no more than a couple cents on a dollar. Our private Alla tour in SPB provided a suggested % tip in US$, the tour guides are used to this and know where to exchange their currency for the best rates and are more than happy to take your gratuities (as opposed to those who choose not to tip).

6 hours ago, duquephart said:

Same with Poland, Sweden, etc.?

No one is interested in USD in Sweden. Only Swedish Kronor. Basically no stores or resraurants in Sweden excepts nothing but SEK. And a lot of stores doesnt even except cash at all. Only Credit cards. 

4 hours ago, beanpittsburgh said:

We just returned from our Scandinavian trip to Norway, Denmark, and Sweden.  We did not need cash ever.  I did get local currency at an ATM to use for tips  -- less than $100 USD -  however tipping is not expected in those countries.

Same experience in Norway. Purchases are usually made by credit card or phone.  We took $100 of kroner for tips, and left with about $40. 

My sense is people are laid appropriately for their jobs, and aren't "expecting" tips. 

In the past tipping in the Scandinavian countries was considered impolite and insulting.  All employed people were considered “professionals” and there was no need to tip. I don’t know how much things have changed with the increase in tourism, but my Scandinavian friends still do not tip.

We got all currencies except for Russia before we left home.    You do need cash to tip the driver and guide on your tours and we felt it was right to pay in their currency.  Had we not gotten local currency we would not have been able to purchase anything nor take the ride up in Bergen because the town's system went down when we were there.  It wiped us out in cash.  Had to tip the guides and drivers in Euros in Norway and felt bad.  We exchanged for a small amount in each currency after sitting down and estimating what we would need in each country.  We did pretty good.  We had a little bit leftover and the bank exchanged it back once we got home.  We, also, liked not having to search out an ATM and take up precious tour time doing so.

"Would it be wise to have a few dollars worth of local at all times just for that?"

I did not use any local currency for anything. I really don't remember any pay toilets like in Italy or Budapest.
We used euro's for everything..
Edited by geffric