San Juan?????

Maraprince

Good question.  I live in south Florida and know someone who works at Port Everglades and have not heard any scuttlebutt about docking in San Juan so I'm assuming Carnival is still utilizing that Port.  The news reports indicate that the earthquakes are occurring away from San Juan, however, I would be concerned that the Port of San Juan might be affected if an earthquake creates a tsunami.  Also, are all the shore excursions traveling to safe zones?  From my years of living in south Florida, I know that things can get dangerous very quickly.

We are sailing on the Magic in April and one of our port stops is in San Juan.  Our Family has decided to stay within a few blocks of the dock and a quick walk back to the ship.  

I am currently on a ship that stopped at San Juan on Wednesday. We had a 5.2 quake hit as we were coming back from our excursion. I didn't notice anything, probably because it was quite far from us (in the southwest corner, near Ponce). I went to El Yunque that day, which is also far from the quakes.

The port didn't seem to be affected and we left at our scheduled time.

Edited by Honolulu Blue

1 hour ago, tattoos said:

The news reports indicate that the earthquakes are occurring away from San Juan, however, I would be concerned that the Port of San Juan might be affected if an earthquake creates a tsunami.

The primary quake and aftershocks occurred, and are occurring, on land (well, under it). There won't be tsunamis. There is no need to be concerned about that.

Looking into sailings that are scheduled to stop in San Juan and wondered if the ships would indeed go to San Juan.  Our stop last year was on a Sunday so not too much was opened in town near the port.

Hoping that things improve for San Juan with the damage they suffered from the hurricane and now the earthquakes.

MARAPRINCE

41 minutes ago, Maraprince said:

Looking into sailings that are scheduled to stop in San Juan and wondered if the ships would indeed go to San Juan.  Our stop last year was on a Sunday so not too much was opened in town near the port.

Hoping that things improve for San Juan with the damage they suffered from the hurricane and now the earthquakes.

MARAPRINCE

They r open and productive

On 1/19/2020 at 1:45 PM, Organized Chaos said:

The primary quake and aftershocks occurred, and are occurring, on land (well, under it). There won't be tsunamis. There is no need to be concerned about that.

Actually, most of the earthquakes have occurred off shore.  Check the USGS site to see the 998 earthquakes over 2.5 in the last 30 days, and a huge majority of them have been off shore.  We just came back from Ponce this morning, and things are still moving, and still are shaking off shore.  And still no tsunami.

Still, given the location of them, San Juan is literally opposite of the quakes, so there's no chance that IF there were to be a tsunami, it would not affect San Juan at all.

OP- San Juan has been going for business since a few months after the hurricane.  It's fine, and they really would like your money to spend.  Actually, there are a number of things I would suggest so that you can SEE how the island has healed itself from Maria- just like it does every single earthquake that hit it over the many years that it's been sitting out in the Caribbean ocean.

51 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

Still, given the location of them, San Juan is literally opposite of the quakes, so there's no chance that IF there were to be a tsunami, it would not affect San Juan at all.

Regardless of where they occurred, the person I was replying to warned of the threat of a tsunami in San Juan. Unless the tsunami traveled to the north side of the island and made a fish-hook turn to the south, San Juan wouldn't be threatened by one if it were caused by these quakes. I should've elaborated.