Adjusting "Gratuity"

duquephart

We always gets the TA allowable OBC, but just have them send us a check direct to house upon return. Becomes part of next cruise deposit.

Now there's something - let us use OBC for a future cruise deposit while onboard!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Interesting.  Until our last trip it had always been listed as non-refundable.  But on our recent cruise it said non-refundable on the little card in the room but was listed as refundable on our account and due to some additional obc that Viking unexpectedly  provided, we did get a credit on our credit card two weeks after we returned. 

Am i understanding you correctly that your Travel Agent just send you a check directly for the $600 or $1000 (depending on the length of the cruise)?

Correct!!

14 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

You all have great TA"s that give you the full allowable Viking OBC.  We traveled a couple cruises before even learning that Viking had a published maximum amount.  Our Travel Agent definitely was way below that amount and made us feel privileged to even get any OBC.  I wish there was a way we could get the fully allowed OBC, but likely only if we can find a new TA that discloses that they will give that.  I believe that TA's have to give up some of their profits to supply the fully allowed OBC so they might be motivated to give their customers less (i.e.  $100-200 pp on a cruise where others get $500 or $1000 pp).  Sorry - this stinginess on OBC's by TA's still riles me, especially when I hear so many of our fellow Cruise Critic people talk about their "full" OBC's and how are they even going to spend all that OBC !!    Guess I just have to find a new agent.

Suggest to just print out the Viking policy and when booking state you have copy of the guidelines and expect that as OBC or check upon return.

On 1/22/2020 at 5:17 PM, CCWineLover said:

Sorry - this stinginess on OBC's by TA's still riles me, especially when I hear so many of our fellow Cruise Critic people talk about their "full" OBC's and how are they even going to spend all that OBC !!    Guess I just have to find a new agent.

I don't see it as stingy.  I believe a larger volume agency can afford it.  A small ma and pa shop probably couldn't.   Our very first Viking cruise we got 50.00 OBC from an agent working out of his home.   I learned from someone here about their TA (large agency) and booked the next one using them.  We got 1500.00 pp reduction on our cruise.  That was before Viking decided against TA's discounting the fare.

On 1/22/2020 at 10:51 AM, Clay Clayton said:

I like the concept but afraid I can’t support it. Our Travel Agent provides Viking’s maximum allowable OBC which we use to pay gratuities/service charge.  If those were included in a presumably higher fare, we might not be able to do funny math to convince ourselves that Viking is almost as affordable as other lines! LOL.  

I’m sure we would find a way to spend the OBC but would rather it go towards our fixed costs rather than splurges in the spa or onboard shops. 

So checked with our Travel Agent and she informed me that Viking changed their policy and the commission they rebate to us via an OBC is refundable.

So Forget what I said before-all inclusive would solve many issues.    👍🏼😊

Edited by Clay Clayton

• 4 weeks later...

I agree that the crew works hard and is certainly deserving of the full recommended gratuity amount and more as the passenger deems appropriate.  That said does any Cruise line explicitly state that the full amount of the pre-paid gratuity is distributed 100% to the crew?