Adjusting "Gratuity"

duquephart

On 1/20/2020 at 9:58 AM, duquephart said:

Given that we will be partaking of a substancially reduced amount of "service" would we be justified in cutting back on the amount of auto gratuity that we allow to be charged? Am I splitting hairs or being "cheap"/unethical?

You asked the questions and we have answered, much to your enjoyment.  Why else would ask a question that you already know the answer to?

So friends, maybe we should just stop feeding the beast, cut our losses and add OP to our ever growing list of agents provacateurs, who post simply to wind us up, get us going and then keep poking at us.

• Like 9

29 minutes ago, jiminyC_fan said:

The minute duquephart called people "idiots" is the minute he/she lost all credibility here.  Name calling is quite juvenile.

I let this go too far as I abhor people who can afford to live comfortably skimp on tipping. This is probably due to my personal experiences.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Squawkman said:

I let this go too far as I abhor people who can afford to live comfortably skimp on tipping. This is probably due to my personal experiences.

I thought it was a legit question and clearly stated that I do tip well (post #8). You accuse me of (skimp on tipping), where does that come from?

Jiminy, I really like your avatar. Tipping, like dress code, is just one of those topics that gets people riled up and sometimes it is just best for one's peace of mind to just to walk away from the topic. Stick to facts, ignore the opinions and know when to walk away. Remember that movie line: sometimes the only winning move is not to play.

Liz, hover over screen name till it pops up and then choose Ignore loser.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:

I'll bet @Peregrina651 could remind me how to block a person... 

Roll over (mouse of finger depending on the device) the avatar or poster handle.  There will be an option to ignore user.

Edit:

I see that Peregrina651 beat me to it.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

Roll over (mouse of finger depending on the device) the avatar or poster handle.  There will be an option to ignore user.

Edit:

I see that Peregrina651 beat me to it.

Well, at least that is how to do it on a desktop but I have no idea how to do it on a cell/smart phone.

Change of content. Having done several Viking runs and over 100 + other cruises, I feel Viking should just raise tariff and INCLUDED gratuities like most other premium/luxury lines ie Crystal/ Regent etc.

I have put this on every post cruise sailing comment card with no answer. Do others agree.

• Like 6

The fees should, at the very least, be prominently referred to via an asterist, or other device, to the advertised price. It's like the "convenience fee" that accompanies a ticket to a concert or sporting event. If you can't buy the ticket for the advertised price then the advertised price is a fraud.

46 minutes ago, WAVTAM said:

Change of content. Having done several Viking runs and over 100 + other cruises, I feel Viking should just raise tariff and INCLUDED gratuities like most other premium/luxury lines ie Crystal/ Regent etc.

I have put this on every post cruise sailing comment card with no answer. Do others agree.

I like the concept but afraid I can’t support it. Our Travel Agent provides Viking’s maximum allowable OBC which we use to pay gratuities/service charge.  If those were included in a presumably higher fare, we might not be able to do funny math to convince ourselves that Viking is almost as affordable as other lines! LOL.  

I’m sure we would find a way to spend the OBC but would rather it go towards our fixed costs rather than splurges in the spa or onboard shops. 

On 1/21/2020 at 5:48 AM, duquephart said:

Please let's stop calling these gratuities. Anything automatically billed and/or paid up front is a service fee, or at least something other than a gratuity. Viking likes us to think of "gratuity", and so names them, because they slide past us more easily that way, given the tipping culture. If Viking wanted us to know how they really work, and the logistics of distribution, we would already know. They prefer us to think "gratuity" and continue to pay them without question like the good little sheep they take us to be. I, for one, think it's time for transparency.

It IS a gratuity and you are within your rights to ask them to remove or adjust the amount ... you cannot do that with other charges on your account.   If you don't want to tip, don't.  You just have to be "up front" about being a bit "jerky" and own your issues about gratuities.  It is as simple as that

1 hour ago, WAVTAM said:

I'm with you.  I definitely want to see Viking go to a gratuities included model.  

I also would like to see them give TAs a bit more latitude than just OBC, or at least  be able to give me an OBC that will be refunded to me when I don't spend it on board. Like Clay, I am not really an on board spender. I'm not a drinker and DH may have a glass or two but our laundry bill tends to be bigger than our bar bill.  The shops and the spa have no allure. And, if my TA is going to give me an OBC, I would like to see it on my account in time to use it to book shorex, because that is something I do buy.  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I like the concept but afraid I can’t support it. Our Travel Agent provides Viking’s maximum allowable OBC which we use to pay gratuities/service charge.  If those were included in a presumably higher fare, we might not be able to do funny math to convince ourselves that Viking is almost as affordable as other lines! LOL.  

I’m sure we would find a way to spend the OBC but would rather it go towards our fixed costs rather than splurges in the spa or onboard shops. 

We always gets the TA allowable OBC, but just have them send us a check direct to house upon return. Becomes part of next cruise deposit.

When  one gets that little white paper on the your door morning of disembarkation the only fee is the gratuities. I would just like to walk off owning nothing, knowing that is was paid upfront.

13 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Well, at least that is how to do it on a desktop but I have no idea how to do it on a cell/smart phone.

Groan.  I never tried it on either a phone or tablet, only a desktop.  I assumed it would be similar, but that was a bad assumption.  So for tablets and phones, I clueless.

32 minutes ago, WAVTAM said:

We always gets the TA allowable OBC, but just have them send us a check direct to house upon return. Becomes part of next cruise deposit.

When  one gets that little white paper on the your door morning of disembarkation the only fee is the gratuities. I would just like to walk off owning nothing, knowing that is was paid upfront.

Interesting.  Until our last trip it had always been listed as non-refundable.  But on our recent cruise it said non-refundable on the little card in the room but was listed as refundable on our account and due to some additional obc that Viking unexpectedly  provided, we did get a credit on our credit card two weeks after we returned. 

Am i understanding you correctly that your Travel Agent just send you a check directly for the $600 or $1000 (depending on the length of the cruise)?

2 hours ago, WAVTAM said:

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

Am i understanding you correctly that your Travel Agent just send you a check directly for the $600 or $1000 (depending on the length of the cruise)?

That's our experience, too.  The amount depends on the cabin category as well as the length of the cruise...i.e it's a percentage total cost of the booking that comes from the TA's commission  as a rebate after we return.

Edited by 1985rz1

7 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

I'm with you.  I definitely want to see Viking go to a gratuities included model.  

I also would like to see them give TAs a bit more latitude than just OBC, or at least  be able to give me an OBC that will be refunded to me when I don't spend it on board. Like Clay, I am not really an on board spender. I'm not a drinker and DH may have a glass or two but our laundry bill tends to be bigger than our bar bill.  The shops and the spa have no allure. And, if my TA is going to give me an OBC, I would like to see it on my account in time to use it to book shorex, because that is something I do buy.  

You all have great TA"s that give you the full allowable Viking OBC.  We traveled a couple cruises before even learning that Viking had a published maximum amount.  Our Travel Agent definitely was way below that amount and made us feel privileged to even get any OBC.  I wish there was a way we could get the fully allowed OBC, but likely only if we can find a new TA that discloses that they will give that.  I believe that TA's have to give up some of their profits to supply the fully allowed OBC so they might be motivated to give their customers less (i.e.  $100-200 pp on a cruise where others get $500 or $1000 pp).  Sorry - this stinginess on OBC's by TA's still riles me, especially when I hear so many of our fellow Cruise Critic people talk about their "full" OBC's and how are they even going to spend all that OBC !!    Guess I just have to find a new agent.