NCL Jewel luggage question regarding Alaska Railroad

Chips Ahoy!

I have a question about luggage. We will be taking the Alaska Railroad one way from Anchorage to Seward. Does anyone know if we collect our luggage from the train and  take it  to the porters.  Or is it set up where once we hand it off in Anchorage. We won't see it again til we get to our cabin? Thanks

In Anchorage there is normally a tented area where you drop your luggage.  It should be tagged for whichever cruiseline/ship.   You won't see it again until it's sitting in your cabin.  (luggage goes to Seward by truck so it will arrive before you ... train is 4 hrs, truck is 2 1/2 hrs )

That's the way it's been done for years, but if you want to verify for this yr, email the AlaskaRailroad.

5 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

In Anchorage there is normally a tented area where you drop your luggage.  It should be tagged for whichever cruiseline/ship.   You won't see it again until it's sitting in your cabin.  (luggage goes to Seward by truck so it will arrive before you ... train is 4 hrs, truck is 2 1/2 hrs )

That's the way it's been done for years, but if you want to verify for this yr, email the AlaskaRailroad.

Thank you!

The daily Alaska RR train leaves Anchorage Depot at 06:45 am and arrives at the Seward Depot 11:05 am.

It is a long 5 block walk to the cruise terminal - free shuttle service is provided. Able body folks can beat the

shuttle easily and board the ship without much if any delay.

All cruise ship luggage is transported by truck directly to the ship and taken on board to your cabin.

At the ANC Depot there is a sheltered (tented) area where you leave your luggage with cabin tags

applied.  Only your carry-on bags are taken on the train.

Frequently NCL charters an Alaska RR train leaving ANC at noon arriving at Seward but this time on tracks

right next to the cruise terminal at around 17:00 (5pm) - Luggage is handled the same way as the morning train. The charter train only operates on the day of the cruise !

Edited by don't-use-real-name

MAP image for reference LINK:

https://www.google.com/maps/@60.1211649,-149.4352219,969m/data=!3m1!1e3

map is zoom and pan right left up down in and out.

HINT - - -

Take the "A" Train that is the AM morning train to have almost 6 extra hours of time to enjoy the JEWEL and Seward.

Requires overnight stay in Anchorage

The noon chartered train will get you there but cuts short your port time and the cruise party has already begun !

Price could be factor - Alaska RR fares   https://www.alaskarailroad.com/

Gold Star class (Reserved seating meals and beverages included) is $198 pp

Adventure (coach) class is $99 pp

I believe the NCL Charter train fare is $99 pp   Check with NCL for details

Re the luggage is this only if you have booked the train via NCL ?  We have booked direct with Alaska Train the 6.05 Anchorage to Seaward - would be amazing if they transported the luggage to the ship but I am guessing only if booked as a cruise tour ?

37 minutes ago, rjmols said:

Re the luggage is this only if you have booked the train via NCL ?  We have booked direct with Alaska Train the 6.05 Anchorage to Seaward - would be amazing if they transported the luggage to the ship but I am guessing only if booked as a cruise tour ?

nope, this service has always been for ALL cruise pax.  

Can't imagine that it will change for this yr, but as I said earlier, you can always email the Railroad to verify.

5 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

nope, this service has always been for ALL cruise pax.  

Can't imagine that it will change for this yr, but as I said earlier, you can always email the Railroad to verify.

That is great thank you - I will email them to double check and post my reply on here.

Just to add a couple of details to what previous posters have said. I have taken the train to Seward after booking directly from Alaska Railroad (Sept 2018) and through NCL as an "excursion" (Oct 2019). You do drop your luggage in a baggage depot either way and no matter what, it is taken to your cabin for you. There are a couple of other things to know though. When we booked through NCL, we had to pay for breakfast and there were several attempts to upsell various tourist trinkets, but the train went directly to the ship in port, easy peasy. When we booked through Alaska Railroad, breakfast and 2 drinks were included in the GoldStar dome class car, but they stopped before getting all the way to the ship. They told us we could either wait for a shuttle (about 30 minutes based on the number of people that were on the train) or we could walk a "couple of blocks" to get to the train. Lemme tell you, it's a looooonnnggg walk if you have more than a small carry-on. My friend had taken a roll-aboard and I had a tote bag, so neither item was huge, but it was certainly a relief to finally see the cruise hub after the walk. Either way you go, you'll have a great time! Also, just as an added mention, the people on the train staff will always point out when to get your camera ready for glaciers and wildlife, so be ready and have a wonderful trip!

• Like 1

We did this last year, but arrived one day early. So we collected our bags from the tent in Seward as it was all stowed on the train.  The porters unload the bags and you need to collect it and then go on your own merry way.  We had a motel across from the station, so it was easy to walk there, but took a cab to the ship the next day. 

1 hour ago, Bryley said:

Just to add a couple of details to what previous posters have said. I have taken the train to Seward after booking directly from Alaska Railroad (Sept 2018) and through NCL as an "excursion" (Oct 2019). You do drop your luggage in a baggage depot either way and no matter what, it is taken to your cabin for you. There are a couple of other things to know though. When we booked through NCL, we had to pay for breakfast and there were several attempts to upsell various tourist trinkets, but the train went directly to the ship in port, easy peasy. When we booked through Alaska Railroad, breakfast and 2 drinks were included in the GoldStar dome class car, but they stopped before getting all the way to the ship. They told us we could either wait for a shuttle (about 30 minutes based on the number of people that were on the train) or we could walk a "couple of blocks" to get to the train. Lemme tell you, it's a looooonnnggg walk if you have more than a small carry-on. My friend had taken a roll-aboard and I had a tote bag, so neither item was huge, but it was certainly a relief to finally see the cruise hub after the walk. Either way you go, you'll have a great time! Also, just as an added mention, the people on the train staff will always point out when to get your camera ready for glaciers and wildlife, so be ready and have a wonderful trip!

When we booked through NCL, we had to pay for breakfast and there were several attempts to upsell various tourist trinkets, but the train went directly to the ship in port, easy peasy. When we booked through Alaska Railroad, breakfast and 2 drinks were included in the GoldStar dome class car, but they stopped before getting all the way to the ship.

The Adventure (Coach) class does not include free meals beverages -

In this section of the train for food service you go to the café/concession car for snacks beverages

For the fare difference of $100 pp - - -  AC - $100 - GS $200

The Gold Star (First Class) does include a breakfast and 2 liquor drinks sodas are free no limit.

Shortly after leaving the Anchorage Depot the Gold Star car attendant will come and ask how many folks want to

eat breakfast now or later - objective is to get at least half the dome car to eat one sitting and then the rest in the

next and final service. The meal service is generally done in 2 and half hours for the 4 hour and 20 minute trip.

All services are ended about a half hour before arrival in Seward - then the train waits for about 7 hours before

the return to Anchorage.

Yes the 5 L-O-N-G block walk to the cruise ship terminal is a work out - it is all flat terrain - if you take it you

will be rewarded with check-in registration security and almost immediately boarding - let the party commence !

The free shuttles arrive a bit later then the lines form but not that much of an issue. The scheduled Alaska RR

train will have at the most less than half the ships passenger capacity. There will be guests arriving by other means

charter private vehicle bus car rental and simply some that have overnighted in Seward. AND then the rest of

the crowd arrives on the NCL charter train leaving Anchorage about noon and arriving ship side on tracks right

next to the ship about 5 pm a short 1 block walk.

The scheduled Alaska RR train operates daily - the NCL Charter train ONLY on the day of the Cruise !

The luggage when taking the train is trucked to and loaded onto the ship then taken to your cabin door -

Only if taking the Alaska RR non-cruise related from one city to another is it actually loaded into a baggage car.

As noted from previous post of Sauer-krault - - -

There is no room in the train coaches for luggage other than carry-on.

All cruise line tours using AK RR use this method for same day cruise-tour activity.

On 1/27/2020 at 3:31 PM, Bryley said:

On 1/27/2020 at 6:15 PM, don't-use-real-name said:

When we booked through NCL, we had to pay for breakfast and there were several attempts to upsell various tourist trinkets, but the train went directly to the ship in port, easy peasy. When we booked through Alaska Railroad, breakfast and 2 drinks were included in the GoldStar dome class car, but they stopped before getting all the way to the ship.

The Adventure (Coach) class does not include free meals beverages -

In this section of the train for food service you go to the café/concession car for snacks beverages

For the fare difference of $100 pp - - -  AC - $100 - GS $200

The Gold Star (First Class) does include a breakfast and 2 liquor drinks sodas are free no limit.

Shortly after leaving the Anchorage Depot the Gold Star car attendant will come and ask how many folks want to

eat breakfast now or later - objective is to get at least half the dome car to eat one sitting and then the rest in the

next and final service. The meal service is generally done in 2 and half hours for the 4 hour and 20 minute trip.

All services are ended about a half hour before arrival in Seward - then the train waits for about 7 hours before

the return to Anchorage.

Yes the 5 L-O-N-G block walk to the cruise ship terminal is a work out - it is all flat terrain - if you take it you

will be rewarded with check-in registration security and almost immediately boarding - let the party commence !

The free shuttles arrive a bit later then the lines form but not that much of an issue. The scheduled Alaska RR

train will have at the most less than half the ships passenger capacity. There will be guests arriving by other means

charter private vehicle bus car rental and simply some that have overnighted in Seward. AND then the rest of

the crowd arrives on the NCL charter train leaving Anchorage about noon and arriving ship side on tracks right

next to the ship about 5 pm a short 1 block walk.

The scheduled Alaska RR train operates daily - the NCL Charter train ONLY on the day of the Cruise !

The luggage when taking the train is trucked to and loaded onto the ship then taken to your cabin door -

Only if taking the Alaska RR non-cruise related from one city to another is it actually loaded into a baggage car.

As noted from previous post of Sauer-krault - - -

There is no room in the train coaches for luggage other than carry-on.

All cruise line tours using AK RR use this method for same day cruise-tour activity.

I am trying to decide between taking the NCL Alaska RR charter and the morning train.  I am not worried about the food, or the 5 block walk, but I do want to make sure that we have adequate access to the dome cars for taking pictures.  I am willing to pay the $198 fare if needed to get that access, but am wondering, if there is no Gold Star class on the NCL charter, does everyone have access to the dome cars?  Thanks in advance!! 

6 hours ago, mloomis68 said:

I am trying to decide between taking the NCL Alaska RR charter and the morning train.  I am not worried about the food, or the 5 block walk, but I do want to make sure that we have adequate access to the dome cars for taking pictures.  I am willing to pay the $198 fare if needed to get that access, but am wondering, if there is no Gold Star class on the NCL charter, does everyone have access to the dome cars?  Thanks in advance!! 

Here is a photo of the NCL Alaska RR Charter train having arrived at Cruise Terminal Port of Seward.

DSC09278.thumb.JPG.fb1927467d3cdaf2d74dab70458a3f39.JPG

The grey roof building in the right foreground is the Cruise terminal -

Note in the train consist there is -1- Gold Star dome car and 7 other glass roof coach cars - NO concession car !

So don't know much about the meal service - if any ? -

Note NO baggage car - luggage has already arrived and is on board -

A locomotive push-pull at either end -

So I don't know the exact details about this - contact NCL or Alaska RR

Side note for reference there is a two block walk to the end of the train

and then a left turn and 3 blocks to the Seward Depot

where the scheduled Alaska RR trains arrive depart

Satellite Map Image LINK:

https://www.google.com/maps/@60.1200732,-149.4299076,969m/data=!3m1!1e3

Pictures and Videos of Alaska RR cars LINK:

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel-planning/photos-videos

The half-dome cars are for coach passengers use and may be time share limited.

The Café-Concession car is almost as double height at the Gold Star -

Browsing the link should provide an idea of what type cars equipment maybe used.

AND THE USUAL YMMV with schedule changes and number of passengers anticipated to be on board

DSC09278.JPG