Stilton at Dinner

bobstheboy

2 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

First P & O cruise for 3 years, onboard Britannia for trans Atlantic cruise in March. Do they still serve Stilton cheese on request at dinner, an old tradition ?

Its normally only served on formal nights, but generally the waiters will provide it if asked.

• Thanks 1

Was certainly available on our last cruise. However, I was less than enamoured with the way that the cheeseboard was left on various window sills around the MDR, without and form of covering. I'm not that much of a hygiene freak, but I wasn't impressed by the practice. I told the Maitre D', but to no avail.

41 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Was certainly available on our last cruise. However, I was less than enamoured with the way that the cheeseboard was left on various window sills around the MDR, without and form of covering. I'm not that much of a hygiene freak, but I wasn't impressed by the practice. I told the Maitre D', but to no avail.

The alternative is that they keep it in the fridge.....and cold stilton is definately not to my liking! 
but to answer the OP’s question... yes, they still ( or did in November!).Serve Port soaked stilton on formal nights... It rarely appears on the cheese board on other nights but if you ask for it they will happily bring it. 

18 minutes ago, Mysticalmother said:

The alternative is that they keep it in the fridge.....and cold stilton is definately not to my liking! 
but to answer the OP’s question... yes, they still ( or did in November!).Serve Port soaked stilton on formal nights... It rarely appears on the cheese board on other nights but if you ask for it they will happily bring it. 

No, the alternative is to put a dome over the cheeseboard to stop contamination.

As an aside, from someone who worked in the cheese industry, putting Port into Stilton, Imho,  ruins both.  

• Like 1

Chilton was available on Aurora in November, having asked on the first night we were asked if we wanted stilton every evening after that. We do not like the port soaked stilton and asked for regular stilton on the formal nights and got it.

On 1/21/2020 at 3:06 PM, Josy1953 said:

Chilton was available on Aurora in November, having asked on the first night we were asked if we wanted stilton every evening after that. We do not like the port soaked stilton and asked for regular stilton on the formal nights and got it.

Where did they park the boat on the Chilterns?😁

22 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

It must be down to the waiter then as on Oceana in November and Ventura at New Year, it was available but never offered unless you asked. 

Andy 

We were on Club dining. Don't know if that makes any difference. Once the waiters knew we loved the after dinner chocolates, we also got doggy bags of them each night to take to the cabin.

Just now, Host Sharon said:

We were on Club dining. Don't know if that makes any difference. Once the waiters knew we loved the after dinner chocolates, we also got doggy bags of them each night to take to the cabin.

We had club on Oceana and freedom on Ventura, both the same, although we were getting extra desserts, loads of chocolates and excellent service on Oceana, I think the stilton was probably spread a bit thin around the restaurant as they seemed to have to hunt for it. 

That is one of the reasons why we prefer club dining, the service is much more personal. 

Andy 

8 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

That is one of the reasons why we prefer club dining, the service is much more personal. 

Although because we tend to eat around the same time each night (20:30 or so) we normally end up in the same section of the restaurant with the same waiters every night, so it's a "win win"  for us.

37 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Although because we tend to eat around the same time each night (20:30 or so) we normally end up in the same section of the restaurant with the same waiters every night, so it's a "win win"  for us.

Club dining, late sitting then.... 😊

Andy 

11 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Club dining, late sitting then.... 😊

Andy 

Almost, but second club sitting is normally earlier,  we don't like being tied down to a precise time ever night, and the thought of having the same dining companions every night for 14 nights, let alone 35, would fill us with dread (present company excluded, Andy).

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Almost, but second club sitting is normally earlier,  we don't like being tied down to a precise time ever night, and the thought of having the same dining companions every night for 14 nights, let alone 35, would fill us with dread (present company excluded, Andy).

8.30 has been late sitting, but I hear it is being brought forward to 8?

As we tend to do shorter cruises, 7-14 nights has been fine and we have met fantastic people, but 35 nights would probably be a different matter, so point taken. 

Our 8 jokes between us would get rather boring... 😊

Andy 

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Our 8 jokes between us would get rather boring..

I'm hoping to learn a new one, ready to use on Oceana next week. Revolves around a country and western singer from Preston ! 

• Haha 1

On 1/21/2020 at 2:21 PM, Mysticalmother said:

No need to keep it in the fridge, a plastic dome is all that it

s needed.