Viking Sea Interiors

Minnygirl22

Hi Everyone,  I’m sailing on The Sea in 2021, as I understand the Sea is a few years old at this point and will be about 7-8 years old by the time I cruise on her.  How is the interior holding up? Carpet, upholstery etc...everything I have read indicates that it looks great but I just wanted to hear a few opinions.

Thank you. 

42 minutes ago, Minnygirl22 said:

Hi Everyone,  I’m sailing on The Sea in 2021, as I understand the Sea is a few years old at this point and will be about 7-8 years old by the time I cruise on her.  How is the interior holding up? Carpet, upholstery etc...everything I have read indicates that it looks great but I just wanted to hear a few opinions.

Thank you. 

Viking Sea was launched June 25, 2015.   It went into service some time after that.  As such, that makes it 5-6 years old in 2021, not 7-8.   They do a 5 year overhaul/check/refresh on the ships.   I would imagine the interior will be just fine for you!

We are on the Sea right now. It’s very comfortable and looks very good!  The upholstery in our room and in the public areas is very clean and showing no signs of wear. The gym is top notch. The only noticeable difference between the Sea and the Sky, which we sailed on last July, is that the windows aren’t as clean in many different parts of the ship. That is a little annoying, but it’s still a very nice ship. 

As the others said the ship should be fine for you. If she was launched in 2015 she will be out of service for such a month this year for a mandatory dry dock for deep check and renovations. In those occasions companies do find an opportunity to do some renovations in the hotel part, and on the luxury market that Viking serves it is not uncommon to see them doing a total revamp on just everything, making them feel like real new ships!... Have a nice day and enjoy your sailings!...

Viking Star just came our of her first mandatory dry dock. Very little was done in the cabins (at least not in the cabin we occupied) and there was some refurbishing done in the public areas. Don't ask me what in particular because I promise you that I did not spend my vacation scouring the shjp looking for it. The Star is doing quite well wear-wise for a 5 year old floating hotel and replacements are hard to spot because the decor design of the ship has not been changed,

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Star was launched in 2015. Sea was launched in April, 2016 and we sailed on her just a few months later, our first VO.

Got my info from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Viking_Sea_(2015)

It says:  Launched June 25, 2015, Maiden Voyage April 3, 2016.

Not sure when they start counting for the 5 year dry dock (launch date or first voyage).

Alright, looks like my math was off a bit.  Good to hear that the Sea is looking great. I don’t usually notice a little wear and tear anyway but thought there is no harm in asking.  

Edited by Minnygirl22

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Got my info from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Viking_Sea_(2015)

It says:  Launched June 25, 2015, Maiden Voyage April 3, 2016.

Not sure when they start counting for the 5 year dry dock (launch date or first voyage).

June date was when she was floated out of the drydock but she was far from ready to be turned over to Viking at that point.  They still had to finish the interior and do sea trials.  I would count closer to April than to June for when the 5 year clock started ticking. 

We were on the Viking Sea for the second time this past September and she was looking mighty fine!  In fact we were in the same cabin and everything looked exactly the same as our first sailing in the Spring of 2018.  Viking takes good care of the ships!

FWIW, when we were aboard Orion last October (2019), i happened to wander into The Restaurant for lunch but had forgotten in port days, there is no lunch served. There were two crew members reupholstering some chairs.

Later on the same cruise, I saw the same gentlemen bring some chairs into The World Cafe and leaving with two more. I presume they had reupholstered two and were taking two back to the shop.  So it appears Viking may have an ongoing program to make sure the soft goods stay up to snuff. 

I will say on Sea last Spring, I noticed one of the chairs in our stateroom was starting to look a little worn but not nearly as much as on some other lines...or in my home for that matter!😂

We just came off of the Sea this week and she looked great.  I did not see any obvious signs of wear in the public areas. 

I did see someone spill a plate on deck 2  in the Living Room and within 2 minutes there was a crewman with a carpet cleaning product attending to it.  In 15 minutes you would never have known it had been a mess!