Ireland Ports

Desert Cruisers

We will be visiting several Irish ports in August on the Quest.  I'm trying to find out the following:

1. I don't think that the ship docks in Londonderry city centre so where is the port?  How far is it from the city centre?  Is there public transportation into the city centre?
  2. How can we get from Killybegs to Donegal City by public transportation?
  3. Does the Quest dock in Waterford City or an outlying area such as Dunmore East? If so, is there public transportation into Waterford?

Any info would be most appreciated.

3 hours ago, Desert Cruisers said:

We will be visiting several Irish ports in August on the Quest.  I'm trying to find out the following:

1. I don't think that the ship docks in Londonderry city centre so where is the port?  How far is it from the city centre?  Is there public transportation into the city centre?
  2. How can we get from Killybegs to Donegal City by public transportation?
  3. Does the Quest dock in Waterford City or an outlying area such as Dunmore East? If so, is there public transportation into Waterford?

Any info would be most appreciated.

Desert Cruisers, There is good guidance on the link I've copied https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/londonderry-port-9043

The port in Londonderry does appear to be about six miles from the city centre by coach.

Azamara normally has shuttles, and in Belfast every cruise ship gets a free shuttle courtesy of Visit Belfast, so I would expect something will be available.

You can get to Donegal town from Killybegs by public bus, however they are infrequent. Ive added a link to the bus timetable, however this may change by the time your cruise comes around. https://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=406&form-view-timetables-from=Donegal+(Abbey+Hotel)&form-view-timetables-to=Glencolumbcille&form-view-timetables-route=&form-view-timetables-submit=1

Sorry, I can't help you with Waterford

• Thanks 1

We were on Journey around Britain in late July this year and can confirm there is no shuttle in Londonderry so we took “Londonderry on your Own”. For Waterford we docked at Dunmore East, we took an excursion but think there was a shuttle to Waterford which stops right opposite Crystal factory.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info. 

Azamara does have a Londonderry "On Your Own" option but it's USD69pp which seems a bit steep since where we are docking may only be about 12-15 km from the city centre.

I'm going to call Azamara to try to get clarification as to where we are docking in Waterford. Other cruise lines do note that it's Dunmore East but Azamara is silent on this.  Hoping for the best or at least a more reasonably priced "On Your Own" option.

Waterford is a lovely city and there is much more to see than just the Waterford Crystal shop and factory, although it has beautiful crystal glassware of course. I am a frequent visitor as my father was born there and I have many relatives still living there. 

A walk along the Quays of the river Suir to The Granville Hotel for a great Irish lunch and a pint ( of Guinness), the Viking Reginald’s Tower and the beautiful surrounding countryside are all must see’s.  

The ship will always anchor in Dunmore East Bay and tender you in to the small village.  The river Suir into Waterford city is not navigable for an Azamara ship. Dunmore East is a fishing port and the seafood is wonderful in the local pubs and restaurants. I don’t know about a shuttle bus but a local taxi from Dunmore East to Waterford city would be about €30-35 depending on traffic. It’s about a 20 min drive. 
Have a wonderful time in beautiful Ireland. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all for all your comments.  They are very helpful.

We are Still waiting for excursions to be posted for other ports.....

Killibegs (for Donegal)

Galway

Bantry

Dartmouth.

I know Galway is a new port for Azamara, not sure if the others are new ports or not.  I have been to Galway, but not to Donegal.  If anyone has any other info to share, we would appreciate it.

40 minutes ago, Desert Cruisers said:

I spoke this morning with an Azamara representative.  In Waterford, the schedule shows that we will be docked at Belview rather than tendering at Dunmore East.  No info yet as to where we will be docking at Derry.

I would be very surprised if Quest berthed at Belview as I think it is too big. Belview is 4 miles or so from Waterford City. 

On June 3rd and September 7th/8th both Pursuit and Quest are on the port schedule for tendering at Dunmore East. I would believe this Port schedule rather than some "Azamara Representative" who probably doesn't have a clue about Irish ports! Just saying....I may be wrong....but I don't think so in this case! 

Just now, Lottie A said:

I would be very surprised if Quest berthed at Belview as I think it is too big. Belview is 4 miles or so from Waterford City. 

On June 3rd and September 7th/8th both Pursuit and Quest are on the port schedule for tendering at Dunmore East. I would believe this Port schedule rather than some "Azamara Representative" who probably doesn't have a clue about Irish ports! Just saying....I may be wrong....but I don't think so in this case! 

I would tend to believe Azamara’s posted itinerary over a third party app myself. Their itinerary would show tendering if it was and it is not showing tendering. Only showing tendering in Galaway, Bantry Harbour, and Dartmouth. Also The port website indicates smaller ships like AZ up to 210 meters can indeed dock at Belview?

Just now, Wheelhouse said:

I am on the June third Waterford visit and our itinerary says tendered and the printout from my agent says Dunmore East.

Interesting. I am on the August 29 Ireland intensive and in Waterford on Sept. 7 and shows Docked and tendering only Galaway, Bantry Harbour and Dartmouth.

7 minutes ago, Jimmycruiser said:

Interesting. I am on the August 29 Ireland intensive and in Waterford on Sept. 7 and shows Docked and tendering only Galaway, Bantry Harbour and Dartmouth.

I am on the same cruise with you.

we have an overnight in Waterford.....perhaps that is why we might be docked closer to the city?  Docked rather than having to tender?

Edited by takemewithyou

I’ve done Ireland ports twice with AZ, most recently in July. We did have a shuttle in Londonderry and the stop was the visitor center. Also, both times the port for Waterford was Dunmore, we tendered and there was a shuttle. The shuttle stop was right downtown across from the Waterford Crystal factory.

• Thanks 2

Thanks for all of the input.  Planning on both locations in Waterford.  Prefer taking public transit over over-priced ship shuttles so hopefully things will work out at either berth. 

As for whether the Quest can dock at Belview....I have a photo from a Port of Waterford promotional brochure showing the HAL Rotterdam - a bigger ship than the Quest - docked.

FYI — Azamara shuttles are complimentary (included in the cruise fare). It’s a wonderful advantage of AZ. It’s only when the port is far away from the major destination (such as Glasgow from port of Greenock) that there is a shore excursion with a cost such as “Glasgow on your own.”  On our two AZ Irish Seas/Open Championship Cruises the vast majority of ports were either right in the city/or had a shuttle. I can only recall Greenock and I think Cobh for Cork.

1 hour ago, AllisonJames said:

FYI — Azamara shuttles are complimentary (included in the cruise fare). It’s a wonderful advantage of AZ. It’s only when the port is far away from the major destination (such as Glasgow from port of Greenock) that there is a shore excursion with a cost such as “Glasgow on your own.”  On our two AZ Irish Seas/Open Championship Cruises the vast majority of ports were either right in the city/or had a shuttle. I can only recall Greenock and I think Cobh for Cork.

Do you happen to recall where you had your Azamazing evening in Ireland?

1 hour ago, AllisonJames said:

Yes our Azamazing Evening on our July cruise was Riverdance in Dublin at the Gaiety Theatre — it was awesome!

Thanks!
I called Azamara and they said that was what our Azamazing evening would be on 8/30, and I was happy....until I realized we are scheduled to leave port that day at 6 pm.....so who Knows?