Private tour in Santorini

mbr_33

Is it possible to avoid the cable car in Santorini by taking a private tour? Most of the tours that I'm seeing online seem to start at the exit of the cable car. I'm concerned for two reasons, 1)my husband has a fear of heights and would have difficulty on the cable car, although he says he'll do it "if he has to", & 2)there will be 5-6 ships in port the day we will be there & I'm afraid there will be significant waits for the cable car that will affect how much time we can explore & enjoy the island. 

Not an expert...  But have. also done a lot of research because I have Vertigo...  (not just 'fear of heights, but the very real Vertigo condition) So, I will offer some comments.

I believe that most ALL tours,  (except local boat tours) will require the cable car back down.

If you were to book the boat that ferry's over to Amoudi bay, below Oia...  I believe that this also includes the bus right up to Oia.  I believe any good private tour guide would agree to meet you there.   While they obviously do not openly offer or recommend this.  I believe that all of this is policy on Santorini.  

We will not be there during the high season, with many ships in port, so we would have to be concerned with how often that ferry boat will run.  Many reports say they will wait until the boat is full, or almost full.   In your case, with five ships in port that day, I imagine that this ferry boat will be running to ferry as many paying passengers over as quickly as possible.  (sorry, I do not have the link to this service handy)

Another option I have considered is to book a lessor expensive ships tour, and then meet your own private tour guide once you are on the Island.   Not sure how the different cruise lines would handle 'ditching' a ships tour like that?   Even though, most of them will end at Fira anyhow , and you are welcome to stay on the Island until you take the cable-car down on your own.  And it would make the cost for the day even more expensive.

Edited by Wishing on a star

My ship tour of NCL didn't a tender to the main dock.  That dock at least last year was a mess due to storms destroying it and a portion under construction.

FWIW we had buss there waiting then had a nice tour, some good some bad, but like others noted we had to do the cable car back, almost every tour I was aware had DIY with complimentary or DIY back down the cable.