Help with making dining reservations-thanks!

Petoonya

I’m an Oceania regular and brand new to NCL.

I need help making dinner reservations.

There are 8 of us traveling together in three different reservations. Six adults and two children ages 4 and 1 years.

We all have the dining perk - But I do understand that the children eat a la carte.

We’re trying to make dinner reservations.

First, does the family with the 2 kids make a reservation for four or just two- 

themselves who have the perk?

Second, how do we make reservations for the entire party to dine together. We really want a table for eight. 

Third, why is it that when I make a reservation first for say, Teppanyaki does it come up included, but when I add the second or third choice, like Ocean Blue or Le Bistro, it shows a la carte? There are three dinners in the perk right?

Fourth, do my son and DIL with the youngsters enter table for 2 

or table for 4?

Lastly,  the three couples sit down together to try to get dinner times to match. One of .us will show availability for a table for 2, say at 6:30. The next couple sitting right alongside at the same moment, don’t show a table  for 2 available at 6:30, only later. It’s  happened 3 times for three different restaurants with several attempts to book the same times. We’re all sitting right next to each other working within our separate reservations when we try.

Obviously I need a lot of coaching!

Thanks to all the friendly and patient people of this board! 😀❤️

19 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Make the reservation for the number of bodies. Having the SDP or not doesn't matter.

19 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Second, how do we make reservations for the entire party to dine together. We really want a table for eight. 

Make a reservation for 8. It isn't limited to the number of people in the stateroom.

20 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Third, why is it that when I make a reservation first for say, Teppanyaki does it come up included, but when I add the second or third choice, like Ocean Blue or Le Bistro, it shows a la carte? There are three dinners in the perk right?

The system assumes that your SDP will be used first (you don't have to use it) for Teppanyaki which is a single price for all. The other restaurants are a la carte but you can use your SDP to cover you as long as you don't order what isn't covered (2nd entree, for ex.).

23 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

or table for 4?

24 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Lastly,  the three couples sit down together to try to get dinner times to match. One of .us will show availability for a table for 2, say at 6:30. The next couple sitting right alongside at the same moment, don’t show a table  for 2 available at 6:30, only later. It’s  happened 3 times for three different restaurants with several attempts to book the same times. We’re all sitting right next to each other working within our separate reservations when we try.

Only a small percentage of reservations are available online. The majority open on embarkation day. As soon as you board (or sooner if using the app with the ship wi-fi), make your reservations for the entire group. Make one reservation for 8 not one for each couple/family.

34 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Only a small percentage of reservations are available online. The majority open on embarkation day. As soon as you board (or sooner if using the app with the ship wi-fi), make your reservations for the entire group. Make one reservation for 8 not one for each couple/family.

Man! You answered everything and in a way I could understand! Thanks hugely.

I think we are all set now. I GET IT thanks to you.

There is one small thing I don’t understand. You say make a reservation for 8. How do we do that in just one reservation? What about the paid for dinners in the other folks reservations? Is that not to worry about for now?

For reasons that are too difficult and lengthy to explain we’d like to avoid waiting to get on the ship to arrange dining and do it pre- cruise.

Edited by Petoonya

43 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Man! You answered everything and in a way I could understand! Thanks hugely.

I think we are all set now. I GET IT thanks to you.

There is one small thing I don’t understand. You say make a reservation for 8. How do we do that in just one reservation? What about the paid for dinners in the other folks reservations? Is that not to worry about for now?

For reasons that are too difficult and lengthy to explain we’d like to avoid waiting to get on the ship to arrange dining and do it pre- cruise.

This can be a little difficult to explain, but basically, it doesn’t matter how the people who are with you will pay for their meals. That is sorted out at the time of the meal.

Basically, when you book the meal, the system assumes that everyone you are dining with has the same dining package as the person making the booking. However, it is important to realise that this is just for deciding whether to charge you at the time of booking (people without any dining credits have to pay when booking for fixed price places). How you will actually pay is irrelevant at this point.

So, book for your full party, and when you actually eat they will charge those without the package. If you were to go to more places than you have credits for you will decide which one to use your credits for and which one to pay a la carte.

Just make sure the booking is done by someone with the package, or you would be charged for Teppanyaki when booking.

There is a lot more detail about how this works in the link in my signature. It is based more round where people have additional free meals (due to status), but it does explain how the system works.

3 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

So, book for your full party, and when you actually eat they will charge those without the package. If you were to go to more places than you have credits for you will decide which one to use your credits for and which one to pay a la carte.

Just make sure the booking is done by someone with the package, or you would be charged for Teppanyaki when booking.

That’s just the thing. Everyone has the package. Of 8 of us dining 6 have the package and 2 are kids- but there are 3 separate reservations. You say that they will charge those without the package. There should be no charge if everyone has the package. 

if I make a res now for 8, the six adults with SDP and two kids, won’t I be charged for those extra people today? And if I make a reservation for 8 what would the extra 4 people with SDP do in their reservation?

i am so sorry but I’m still lost😩

PS. One of these reservations has $400 non refundable SBC from TA, another has $300. They obviously can’t use it for shore excursions they book online, but if they wait til the board the excursions they want may be sold out. Is this the way the cookie crumbles?

Edited by Petoonya

36 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

That’s just the thing. Everyone has the package. Of 8 of us dining 6 have the package and 2 are kids- but there are 3 separate reservations. You say that they will charge those without the package. There should be no charge if everyone has the package. 

if I make a res now for 8, the six adults with SDP and two kids, won’t I be charged for those extra people today? And if I make a reservation for 8 what would the extra 4 people with SDP do in their reservation?

i am so sorry but I’m still lost😩

PS. One of these reservations has $400 non refundable SBC from TA, another has $300. They obviously can’t use it for shore excursions they book online, but if they wait til the board the excursions they want may be sold out. Is this the way the cookie crumbles?

I'm a bit confused now, as first you say that everyone has the package, then you say that 6 have the package and the two kids don't.

Anyway, you will only get charged at the time of booking if the person making the booking doesn't have the package. NCL have no idea who the other people are, so will assume that they all have the same status as the person booking. If the person booking has the package then there is nothing to pay for anyone. If the person doing the booking doesn't have the package then you will pay now for everyone (assuming it is a fixed price place).

If you make the booking for 8 then the other people don't have to do anything other than turn up with you.

To your PS, yes I believe that this is the case. The only way you can avoid paying for the excursions when booking in advance is if you have the specific shore excursion credit, rather than just wanting to use OBC. I don't know this from experience though.

Edited by KeithJenner

6 hours ago, Petoonya said:

I’m an Oceania regular and brand new to NCL.

I need help making dinner reservations.

There are 8 of us traveling together in three different reservations. Six adults and two children ages 4 and 1 years.

We all have the dining perk - But I do understand that the children eat a la carte.

We’re trying to make dinner reservations.

or table for 4?

Obviously I need a lot of coaching!

Thanks to all the friendly and patient people of this board! 😀❤️

We had a group of six on our last NCL cruise.  It was the Dawn, seven nights of NE and Canada from Boston.  We all had the dining package and were Platinum, so we had five specialty meals to book.  I tried to book online when it opened up and of the five nights three were terrible times.  Still, I booked 5:30 and 8:30 for some nights.  Called NCL and was told the NCL only opens up 1/3 of specialty dining spaces prior to the cruise.  Was told to go directly to the booking desk upon arrival on the ship.  That is what I did.  Managed to change the three terrible times to reasonable ones.  Still, the line was long and not sure why it was such a pain.

If the person making the reservations has a package, no one will be charged in advance. Think of it like making reservations at home, you want to go to dinner with another couple, only one of you calls and makes a reservation for four. However, shows are different, they must be booked by cabin (we are a family of 7 with 2 cabins, so I had to book 4 and 3 on different reservations).

17 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:
  • I'm a bit confused now, as first you say that everyone has the package, then you say that 6 have the package and the two kids don't.

Thanks thanks so much but said from the start that all of the adults have the package.

You explain the next part nicely.. If I understand correctly, the first person makes the booking for 8 online. They don’t get charged online for the 2 a la carte kids, or the other 4 adults with SDP.  NCL assumes the other 4 have the SDP which they do. When the 8 people show in the dining room, NCL sees that there are 2  kids, and 4 more adults who have the SDP. NCL sorts things out at the time.

This would also mean that those 4 extra adults who have the dining package should not pre-book dining online.right? 

Am I finally getting this? Gosh so appreciate your help.

25 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

Was told to go directly to the booking desk upon arrival on the ship.  That is what I did.  Managed to change the three terrible times to reasonable ones.  Still, the line was long and not sure why it was such a pain.

Yeah, unfortunately the guy this would fall to is the guy least able to manage waiting in long line. 2 very young kids, somewhat demanding and dependent wife and in-laws who speak a different language. I’ve asked to be removed from the chore as whatever I do someone would be unhappy. He’d sure like to be able to do all this online. Thanks very much.

8 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

If the person making the reservations has a package, no one will be charged in advance. Think of it like making reservations at home, you want to go to dinner with another couple, only one of you calls and makes a reservation for four. However, shows are different, they must be booked by cabin (we are a family of 7 with 2 cabins, so I had to book 4 and 3 on different reservations).

Thanks I finally get it. Cabin number 1 with a SDP makes a res for everyone. Cabin 2 and 3 with SDP don’t and it’s noted at time of dining they have the package.

And shows are booked by cabin. 

Thanks!. Think I finally get it!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Thanks thanks so much but said from the start that all of the adults have the package.

You explain the next part nicely.. If I understand correctly, the first person makes the booking for 8 online. They don’t get charged online for the 2 a la carte kids, or the other 4 adults with SDP.  NCL assumes the other 4 have the SDP which they do. When the 8 people show in the dining room, NCL sees that there are 2  kids, and 4 more adults who have the SDP. NCL sorts things out at the time.

This would also mean that those 4 extra adults who have the dining package should not pre-book dining online.right? 

I think that our confusion about who has the package comes from an assumption that the kids wouldn't have it. In the speciality restaurants, kids are generally treated exactly the same as adults (unless they choose to eat from the kids menu, which I believe is very rare - I don't recall ever seeing it). They can have the dining package, or they can pay a la carte. Anyway, I think we have that cleared up now. Your adults have the package and the kids don't

Yes, I believe that you now have it. Just get one person to book for eight, and the others don't need to do anything.

4 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

I think that our confusion about who has the package comes from an assumption that the kids wouldn't have it. In the speciality restaurants, kids are generally treated exactly the same as adults (unless they choose to eat from the kids menu, which I believe is very rare - I don't recall ever seeing it). They can have the dining package, or they can pay a la carte. Anyway, I think we have that cleared up now. Your adults have the package and the kids don't

Yes, I believe that you now have it. Just get one person to book for eight, and the others don't need to do anything.

Kids can order from the general ship wide kids menu in specialty restaurants for free.

14 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Kids can order from the general ship wide kids menu in specialty restaurants for free.

Yes, they certainly can.

I don't recall ever seeing any do so though. I'm sure that it does happen, but in my experience, vastly more order from the actual menu, whether paying a la carte or using the dining package.

My point was that I wondered whether the OP realised that it was an option for the kids to have the dining package, which may have been why they said they all have in when the kids don't.

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

Yeah, unfortunately the guy this would fall to is the guy least able to manage waiting in long line. 2 very young kids, somewhat demanding and dependent wife and in-laws who speak a different language. I’ve asked to be removed from the chore as whatever I do someone would be unhappy. He’d sure like to be able to do all this online. Thanks very much.

I was in line for about 15 minutes.

53 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Yes, they certainly can.

I don't recall ever seeing any do so though. I'm sure that it does happen, but in my experience, vastly more order from the actual menu, whether paying a la carte or using the dining package.

My point was that I wondered whether the OP realised that it was an option for the kids to have the dining package, which may have been why they said they all have in when the kids don't.

My daughter was 12 and ordered the kids meal in Le bistro (her younger and older siblings ordered off of the regular menu, she has since become a very adventurous eater like the others).

2 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Yes

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I knew the kids would eat from the kids menu- or eat a la cate as I mentioned in my first post. You probably missed that piece. THANKS so much for all your patience!

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

Yes, they certainly can.

Would you know where I’d find the kids menu? Since the parents have almost $400 non refundable SBC the parents may choose to order for them from the regular menu. Since their heritage is Nepali they eat a lot of chicken rice and veggies.

1 hour ago, 4774Papa said:

I was in line for about 15 minutes.

1 hour ago, 4774Papa said:

Yes the kids dad was trying to avoid that as he has huge family obligations from people traveling with him and won’t have the time. It’s Bliss and I have the feeling it will be full. Alaska, and even tho it’s May every Alaska cruise  I’ve been on has been full. and that’s been four all in May on other lines as prices better then.

59 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

My daughter was 12 and ordered the kids meal in Le bistro (her younger and older siblings ordered off of the regular menu, she has since become a very adventurous eater like the others).

Any clue where I’d find a kids menu? Their parents may have end up ordering for them off the regular member if no rice veggies and chicken.?

7 minutes ago, rrebel94 said:

The kids are 4 and 1.  I have a feeling they will be eating off the kids menu.

Yes. I wonder where I can find the kids menu for them.......? Might help the dad not have to wait in line for dining room packages. He has almost $400 SBC and doesn’t want to have to spend his own money for a package for them.

1 minute ago, Petoonya said:

Yes. I wonder where I can find the kids menu for them.......? Might help the dad not have to wait in line for dining room packages. He has almost $400 SBC and doesn’t want to have to spend his own money for a package for them.

Just google "ncl kids menu".

Yes  found the kids menu. Won’t work. 😩 They eat chicken veggies and rice. Guess their daddy will have to stand in line for dining room requests to get them packages too. Unless by some chance they came get them some other way?

if kids dad doesn’t board till 3 and Bliss is full, will the line for dining changes and for extra SDPs be long?

Edited by Petoonya

I've never had to queue for long, if at all. Obviously it depends on a few things, like the ship and when you do it. We tend to board relatively early and when we have had to make bookings or changes then it has always been fairly painless.

On the Breakaway last Easter we had some OBC which we used to buy the package for our son. When we went to buy it there was no queue at the desk they had set up in Headliners.

Remember, you don't need to do it straight away, just before you need it. So if you don't have anything booked on the first night then you could do it next day. If possible it may be worth avoiding booking something for that night to make things easier.

One word of warning though, it is a two stage process. You go to the restaurant reservations desk (or where they have set up) to buy the package. Then you need to take the receipt to guest services to get a new keycard for the people you have purchased the package for.

25 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Yes  found the kids menu. Won’t work. 😩 They eat chicken veggies and rice. Guess their daddy will have to stand in line for dining room requests to get them packages too. Unless by some chance they came get them some other way?

if kids dad doesn’t board till 3 and Bliss is full, will the line for dining changes and for extra SDPs be long?

You know your family better than I do, but the cost of a 3-meal dining package with gratuity averages out to $40 per meal.  Do you think a 4 and 1 year old will eat more than $80 of food themselves at each dinner?  If yes, then it would be worth them having a dining package.  If no, then just order them some food at dinner and don't stress and waste time getting a dining package.

1 hour ago, rrebel94 said:

You know your family better than I do, but the cost of a 3-meal dining package with gratuity averages out to $40 per meal.  Do you think a 4 and 1 year old will eat more than $80 of food themselves at each dinner?  If yes, then it would be worth them having a dining package.  If no, then just order them some food at dinner and don't stress and waste time getting a dining package.

The thing is between myself, son and the other in-laws we have over $1000 SBC. No one is a spa person, and they probably will want to book shore tours in advance because they don’t want to take chance of one not being available. So big wad of money burning a hole in the pocket. The kids having a dinner isn’t a big deal.

Parents are very particular about what the kids eat too.

Edited by Petoonya

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

I've never had to queue for long, if at all. Obviously it depends on a few things, like the ship and when you do it. We tend to board relatively early and when we have had to make bookings or changes then it has always been fairly painless.

On the Breakaway last Easter we had some OBC which we used to buy the package for our son. When we went to buy it there was no queue at the desk they had set up in Headliners.

Remember, you don't need to do it straight away, just before you need it. So if you don't have anything booked on the first night then you could do it next day. If possible it may be worth avoiding booking something for that night to make things easier.

One word of warning though, it is a two stage process. You go to the restaurant reservations desk (or where they have set up) to buy the package. Then you need to take the receipt to guest services to get a new keycard for the people you have purchased the package for.

Omg this is so complicated! I sure appreciate all the info especially since they don’t have to stand in the line as soon as they board. First day is a day at sea so they’ll have lots of time. you have been so helpful. So appreciate your kindness.

good wishes.

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

The line may not be long, but he's not likely to get a desired dining time.

I'm not sure if you're implying he'll delay his boarding until 3 because of the line or if that's when they'll end up getting to the ship, but if the ship sails at 4, 3 is too late.  It's not like you get sent past the dining booking area with a "last chance, come here to book or don't get anything at all", you board and then find your way to the booking area at your leisure.