Vikings' Lowest Rates

rbslos18

I am an excited Viking Newbie looking to plan additional cruises and trying to understand the lay of the land! From your experience,  when are the best prices offered? Is it when the cruise calendar is first announced, during sales, or during a cruise? 

Thanks!

RB

34 minutes ago, rbslos18 said:

I am an excited Viking Newbie looking to plan additional cruises and trying to understand the lay of the land! From your experience,  when are the best prices offered? Is it when the cruise calendar is first announced, during sales, or during a cruise? 

Thanks!

RB

We've been planning, buying, going on cruises, and buying again now for 2 years so there are a number of folks out here that started at the beginning of Viking Ocean (2015).

However, we found that:  you can get a good deal if you buy a future cruise while on board one (or within 2 weeks afterwards).  There are some other benefits to booking onboard, such as not having to pay for a longer while such as 6 months before travel, being able to modify reservations up to 4 months ahead, and more.

Often in the recent past, they've also had specific sales, such as Father's Day, Explorer's Sale, sometimes Jan/Feb sales, sometimes fall sales.  There is no set schedule, it just likely depends on demand.  With more ships coming online, hopefully this will help the consumer!

Also, the less popular routes have sales often, especially as they near the ship date.  We've seen transatlantic runs have some good last minute prices.  Also, we've seen last minute segments on World Cruise, that need filling, have good prices.  Reminds me of airlines pricing.

And if you use a Travel Agent to book, or transfer a booking made with Viking within 30 days, you might get OBC's (OnBoard Credits).  TA's have the option of passing some of their commissions on to customers up to a maximum that Viking allows.  Depending on the length of the cruise, you could get $0 or up to $150 or $300 or $500.  There does not seem to be any consistency among travel agents.  Some are generous, some are not.  (Search for various threads on the forum).

If you want a specific cabin type and location, you might be best to book when you see it, especially if it's a popular itinerary.

The itineraries we've seen that appear popular are Homelands Cruise, Wake of the Vikings, Mediterranean itineraries, US Eastern Seaboard, Alaska, New Zealand-Australia.

Good luck!  Hoping you enjoy whatever you find!

We got a very good deal on our South America and Chilean fjords cruise.  However, I booked it 3 months before it happened.  However, on Trade Routes there were fewer discounts available......only because it booked up very quickly, and when I booked 10 months out, the cheapest cabin I could get was DV2.  

I am in the process of booking a back to back for next year and got an upgraded cabin along with a very decent discount (it will be 44 days).  One of the itineraries is pretty popular, the other not so much.  I do not book through travel agents, but through a contact at Viking and he has been very useful.  

There is no rhyme nor reason to the timing of Viking sales, no way of predicting them, no way of advising you to book at a certain time because you will get a good deal. Viking very much controls the pricing and it controls the discounting available from Travel agents. 

Otherwise, ditto what CCWineLover laid out. Plus, get on the Viking mailing list. Follow the deals and when you see an offer for a cruise you want to take be ready to jump on it. And then start looking for a cruise to book while you are on board.

Everything everyone above has said is very true, I just wanted to add that up until recently, we had never seen Viking discount a cruise.  Instead, we had taken advantage of perks (free air, silver spirits package, Upgraded stateroom,  etc.) typically within three months of the sail date.  We have done two early March transatlantics and booked them in Late December. In both cases, the cruise fare was equal to the lowest price...but we got perks which made it a better value. We sailed in China last October and it was similar. However, we booked about a month ago for this year’s Spring Transatlantic after getting a promotional offer which reduced the cruise fare to $1000 per person less than the brochure price plus an upgrade and reduced air (which we didn’t need). I’ve got my fingers crossed this won’t be the last time that those lucky enough to be flexible can get a deal!  Obviously YMMV! 😊

You can't go wrong with Transatlantic crossings for a per diem cost benefit. For those of us who cherish sea days it's a match made in heaven. The whole Viking Ocean experience is so extraordinary that for me the ship is the destination. I sailed the Viking Sky Lisbon to Miami last month & will repeat on the same ship Miami to Barcelona in March. Whatever sailing you choose I hope you have a glorious time!