Tea and Coffee makers in Cabins??

Krazy Kruizers

I know my DW really likes hotel rooms with a coffee maker.....she's not totally human without her morning coffee.....but it seems to me the coffee we get from room service on a cruise is better than anything we make in the cabin. Long as there's room service I'd prefer not to have to mess with a coffee/tea maker on a cruise.

When I saw this thread I had to jump in and share... Being a coffee fan, I would love to have a coffeemaker in the cabin, but... Usually when we've had coffeemakers in hotel rooms, they are placed on the bathroom countertop. This isn't a big problem if the vanity area is outside the toilet area. But if the countertop shares the same space as the toilet, it is the most unsanitary place to put a coffemaker. Since not heeding that warning at a little seaside hotel in Cambria where I became sicker than a dog (and I won't elaborate, lol), I will never never ever again use a coffeemaker that has been placed on the bathroom vanity counter. Ever. So, if the coffeemakers go in the cabins, hopefully they'll be placed in a more 'sanitary' area.

When I saw this thread I had to jump in and share... Being a coffee fan, I would love to have a coffeemaker in the cabin, but... Usually when we've had coffeemakers in hotel rooms, they are placed on the bathroom countertop. This isn't a big problem if the vanity area is outside the toilet area. But if the countertop shares the same space as the toilet, it is the most unsanitary place to put a coffemaker. Since not heeding that warning at a little seaside hotel in Cambria where I became sicker than a dog (and I won't elaborate, lol), I will never never ever again use a coffeemaker that has been placed on the bathroom vanity counter. Ever. So, if the coffeemakers go in the cabins, hopefully they'll be placed in a more 'sanitary' area.

Yikes! Good point, I had never really thought about this....there goes my hotel coffee.

Marie

Most hotels here in Europe have tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms.

However, I do have to say the coffee isn't all that wonderful. They are usually very mean with the milk or cream - there's never enough for me. They are also not very generous with the coffee - one cup and that's it. You have to wait until the maid comes round to do the room the next day before you get more coffee to make another cup. :mad:

Give me room service on board a beautiful ship every time!

If there wasn't room service that would be one thing, but with room service, who needs a coffeemaker clogging up the bathroom counter or even the desk. And making a mess and those yucky pkts of sweetener and creamer that spill all over the place. I'd have the steward take the darn thing out. :)

Ordering coffee from RS the night before for delivery in the morning is so much better. And with a suite, of course, there is the Neptune.

No, it would be one more little change in the ambiance of a cruise. I prefer the idea that I'm going to be waited on hand and foot---I don't have to do thing for myself.

Now, where would these coffee pots be plugged in? There's only the one plug in most cabins. And there's no way to keep cream fresh---we'd have to have that awful non-dairy stuff. Then there's the possibility of china cups flying about in a bad storm? Or would we have styrofoam? Yuck.

No, let me go get my own. Or call room service. Or order the night before. Get it hot---get it good.

Peaches and Ruth make excellent points. Coffeemakers would make a mess, require installation of another outlet, and would almost have to be built-in and clamped (like on aircraft) to prevent spillage in rough seas. I believe they'd just be more trouble than they're worth. As mentioned, it isn't that hard to go to the Lido for the morning cup.

The coffee makers I find n hotel rooms make AWFUL coffee. I always end up regret making it and trying to drink it.

Just came back from spending a week at the Swan in DisneyWorld - try the hotel room coffee maker the first morning and YUCK!!!! You would think for $250/night they could do a better job with those in room units.

I think Room Service is much better or just through on some clothes and go to Lido or Neptune. I'm an early bird so I usually work out and then bring coffee back to the room for DH and myself and if I can manage a hot cocoa for DS.

So I vote NO for coffee makers in the room unless they are really good ones with good coffee!!!!!

I've been on ships with and without them. When they're there, I use them. When they aren't, I go to the buffet and grab some, or order room service. When we were on NCL's Pride of America, the coffee in the cabin tasted much better than the stuff in the buffet. We grabbed creamer and milk and brought it back to our cabin to use. We had a small fridge in the room. AM coffee on the balcony was divine! By the way, the coffee maker had it's own outlet built into the cabinetry, which was a European outlet and voltage. We did have ceramic cups to use.

But coffee makers in the bathroom, UGH! I'll never do that in a hotel again after reading Sundiego's post....:eek:

At first read of this thread, I thought "YES!" .... but everyone is right. There's just no room for a coffeemaker unless you're in a suite. Our last cruise on the Oosterdam in a VA cabin, we had on our desk a TV, a tray of glasses, ice, carafe, etc., so there was definitely no room for a coffeemaker ... let alone my prized possessions:o .

If they have "hung" the TV (as in pictures), then it would be doable but I agree it would detract a bit from the ambiance. Still ... I'd love it for that first cup in the morning. I hate deciding the night before what time I want my coffee and once up I hate waiting a single second. So we bring our thermal mugs and poor DH has to trek to the Lido.

I definitely vote no.:( I agree with Ruth C. You change the entire ambience of a cruise when you do stuff like this. I would not be interested in a coffe maker in my cabin any more than I am interested in washing and ironing my own clothes, or cooking my own meals. I am on vacation.

In my humble opinion, vacations, especially cruises, are all about being waited on and pampered. That is why I choose cruising in the first place. I want a luxury, upscale experience.

I'll stick to room service, thank you very much.;) That is convience.

Linda

Please add me to the list of those who want someone else making my coffee. I make coffee everyday at home and that is fine....no big deal. When on a cruise, if not Neptune Lounge, if not Room Service then Lido will be fine. No coffee maker wanted in my cabin.

I never thought about the germ issue with coffee makers in the bathroom. Now that I have read this thread, I will never be using those pots. We rarely did but for sure never will again.

Going against the grain - I'd love a coffee maker in my cabin!!! I hate hotels that don't have them in the room.......fortunately, most do these days.

One thing I do as soon as I arrive is rinse the pot well, fill it with fresh water, plug it in and let it do it's thing.......no coffee used - I do this twice as I unpack.

Most people fail to realize that in most of those pots much water remains from the last guest - the water you use to make your coffee is not entirely what makes your coffee - it's mixed with what's left over from the last guest user........probably very stale coffee results.

The fact that it's located in the bathroom, I feel, has no bearing on the taste.

I'm all for being pampered but when I want a coffee at some ungodly hour of the night I don't want to wait for room service delivery and nor do I want to decide before retiring at what time I want my first coffee. Chances are I've ordered breakfast for 8.30 but am wide awake at 7 - I'd love my own coffee pot!!!!! Just MHO :) Oh, I drink my coffee black so the milk, sugar, sweetner thingies don't concern me:rolleyes: :)

I vote NO also

I agree, usually those hotel room coffees are lousy, plus they almost always just have that powdered non dairy stuff :(

Between room service, Lido, and Neptune Lounge for you lucky suite pax :), there are plenty of venues to get coffee without resorting to making it yourself.

Plus I definately agree with the coffee makers in the bathroom. That just grosses me out.

Sometimes I take my own 4 cup coffeemaker. I never know when I will want that first cup of coffee out on my balcony and don't want to have to plan the night before or have anyone see me so early in the morning. I would enjoy having a coffeemaker in my stateroom so I wouldn't have to drag mine along. This is a personal thing and I know some will laugh but its all in what is important to each individual, IMHO.

IF the cruiseline puts them in your cabin and its in your way, your steward would be happy to remove it, I'm sure, like the items in your minibar. So why does it matter to non users if there is one there or not. :confused: Just say "its in my way so take it away."

Remember, I sail mostly on Princess and they have lousy coffee, I admit. That's why I started taking my own pot and I got use to it. :D

However, when I cruise in Europe, I don't take my pot because I don't drink much coffee in the morning - I don't want to have to worry about finding a bathroom! :eek:

It sounds convenient, but usually those in-room machines make lousy coffee and if it's for tea, the water doesn't get hot enough.

Besides, with all the eating we'll be doing, a walk to the Neptune or Lido will do us good!

We were on a cruise last year on the NCL Star in the Owners Suite which had a coffee maker even though we had butler service.

I am sure lots of people wouldn't agree but to me it seems a little tacky. This is just my opinion. My wife thought it was nice and made several pots of coffee.

O well!

Archived