can use any suggestions or tips to help us have success with our diet while on board

disigny

Would appreciate some suggestions to keep on track with my weight.  Yesterday it was a full year since I started nearly every morning on a treadmill – 340+ out of 365 days.  I stayed dedicated to an exercise program while on a highly restricted diet.  So far, I’ve lost 64 pounds and donated most of my wardrobe.  Do plan to continue workouts during our sail.

It’s been a tough but very rewarding year.  Have a strong resolve to NEVER go back to the size I was.  Want to find a balance of enjoying without guilt and returning home without TOO much weight gain.   

Past cruises, we’ve requested a larger table and enjoy meeting and hearing others adventures.  My bride and I have requested to dine alone so we can share plates.  We plan to order extra (healthier type) appetizers and split a main and desert.  We are from the ‘clean your plate’ and ‘waste not – want not’ generation – “starving children in undeveloped lands” --- yada-yada-yada!  Ahhhh – what guilt can do (LOL). 

Need some input/suggestions/support; 

Would it be best for us to speak with our maître d' or head server? 

Would it be ‘better behavior’ to request our meal be split in the kitchen or should we just do it at the table? 

Has any asked to have limited or no bread on the table – and – we prefer they NOT present us the desert tray?

I sure can use any suggestions or tips to help us have success with our diet while on vacation. 

Wishing all smooth seas.  Kevin

• Like 2

I'm very interested in hearing people's suggestions on this.

I have lost about 10 lbs in the last month and would like to continue while going on a cruise at the end of February. 

I know when I went on my last cruise which was about 6 years ago, they brought bread around and you took what you wanted. So if you have the same waiter each night, I would think you could tell him you don't want bread or deserts coming to you. 

• Like 2

Disigny, just wanted to say that if you want to join bigger tables of people, don't let the fact that you are eating differently stop you. If that was what you enjoyed about the cruise, I don't think you should give that up. I don't think sharing of food, dessert or anything else will disrupt anyone else's enjoyment of their meal. I follow a strict WW plan and I will be doing that wherever and whenever on my cruise I want! Congrats on sticking to your plan and exercise regime! Good luck.

• Like 4

Good plan to keep up with your exercise! That will help a lot. Also doing a lot of walking around the ship +at ports, and taking the stairs instead of elevators helps, too. For eating, I agree with the poster above. If you like larger tables, they can work, too! Lots of people have special requests whether for weight, allergies, or just preferences. The only thing about the larger table is you will have the bread there, plus people ordering desserts around you. That's something you have to decide--whether those things will be too tempting for you, or not.

Another thing I do (which may or may not work for you) is eat very little in the earlier part of the day. I am not a big breakfast eater, anyway, so often I will skip that. For lunch, I usually have a light salad or something along that line. If I have also been diligent on exercising / moving, that gives me a little more leeway at dinner. I have come to the point where I work hard to lose a little extra before a cruise, which--combined with exercise and diligence earlier in the day--means if there is something off my usual plan that I *really* want, I have it. I just try to make sure it doesn't become every day, and that the off-plan things I choose to eat are worth the calories! 🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, disigny said:

Would appreciate some suggestions to keep on track with my weight.  Yesterday it was a full year since I started nearly every morning on a treadmill – 340+ out of 365 days.  I stayed dedicated to an exercise program while on a highly restricted diet.  So far, I’ve lost 64 pounds and donated most of my wardrobe.  Do plan to continue workouts during our sail.

It’s been a tough but very rewarding year.  Have a strong resolve to NEVER go back to the size I was.  Want to find a balance of enjoying without guilt and returning home without TOO much weight gain.   

Past cruises, we’ve requested a larger table and enjoy meeting and hearing others adventures.  My bride and I have requested to dine alone so we can share plates.  We plan to order extra (healthier type) appetizers and split a main and desert.  We are from the ‘clean your plate’ and ‘waste not – want not’ generation – “starving children in undeveloped lands” --- yada-yada-yada!  Ahhhh – what guilt can do (LOL). 

Would it be ‘better behavior’ to request our meal be split in the kitchen or should we just do it at the table? 

Has any asked to have limited or no bread on the table – and – we prefer they NOT present us the desert tray?

I sure can use any suggestions or tips to help us have success with our diet while on vacation. 

26 Cruises.   You can do something like eat salads, etc. etc.   I would eat and drink what you want.   Try to get some expertise and enjoy the cruise.    I have always gained weight but within a week of being home lost most of the weight gain.    Enjoy the experience which includes food and drinking.    Balance just remember balance.

• Like 1

So many good suggestions.    My biggest problem is I'm a grazer.   If I see food or snacks I pick them up and eat them even if not hungry.  

While on the ship I try to eat fish whenever possible and also always cut my meal in half as soon as it's delivered.  

I'm a big walker and wall 11-12 miles a day.    I continue to do this while on the ship and it helps maintain my weight. I have always come home with at least 2-3 pounds heavier than when I left but just stick to my normal diet and it usually falls off in a week or two. 

• Like 2

Great job! 64 lbs is awesome. I gym most mornings when on a ship. I then try not to snack. I eat a reasonable breakfast (eggs, meat, toast) I don't take advantage of all the pastries. I eat lunch. Then I eat dinner. I often don't "clean my plate". I think it's great y'all can share. I make sure to drink plenty of water. I also avoid the "sugary" alcoholic drinks. I may have one dacquiri, miami vice or margarita and one "fancy martini" a sailing. I stick to wine and bourbon.

• Like 1

Great job with the weight loss!  What I did over the holidays was:

• recognize I would likely have some gain, and not beat myself up for it
  • enjoy the occasional, intentional splurge but not feel I needed to try "all the things" 😉 
  • keep active as much as possible
  • drink lots of water

I can relate to the "clean plate" and guilt around food.  Something that helps me is realizing whatever I order (or get from buffet) is a sunk cost at that point, whether I finish it or not.  On a ship my understanding is the left over food is fed to the marine life, so it isn't completely wasted.  I try to only order/take what I think I will eat, but not feel bad if it is too large a portion or just something that doesn't taste good to not finish it.

I would mention to your server that you prefer to eat light, they sometimes seem concerned if we don't order a lot of food 🙂 If you are at a shared table the bread will be there, but if you are at your own table you can ask to have it removed.  Even sharing you don't have to take the bread and many others don't want it either - maybe you end up at a table where everyone wants it removed.  I have never seen a dessert tray, but you can order just a cup of coffee or tea if you want to continue conversing with others during their dessert, or excuse yourself after the entree.  One dessert with 2 spoons is totally fine too.

My husband and I sometimes split meals, but it's usually each having a different entree and we eat our half then trade plates.  Another option is to request an appetizer portion of the entree (or apps as the entree).  I wouldn't ask the galley staff to split an order for you as that might hold up other service.

Best wishes for your cruise!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

My husband and I sometimes split meals, but it's usually each having a different entree and we eat our half then trade plates

I like this idea!! Going to try this on our next cruise.  

I usually end up eating too much on cruises and come home with a weight gain but I know that it will be gone in a few weeks,  so I don't worry about it much.  

We take only the stairs, not the elevator; try to go around the walking track before dinner,  then go change for the evening and enjoy ourselves.  We don't drink alcohol so we buy a non alcoholic drink two or three times during the trip.  Lunch is always a salad with some protein thrown in and since I'm a sucker for dessert (my big downfall), I limit myself to one a day. I've seen myself on our first couple of cruises to eat 5, yes 5 desserts a day so now I'm getting much better at it. 

• Like 1

I try to cut calories in ways that don't make much difference to me. Some examples are asking for the dressing on the side and only adding a very small amount and requesting that they leave off the high calorie items, start the buffet line with a salad and sit down to eat that before starting on the higher calorie items (you make much wiser choices going through the line with food in your stomach than you would starving), ordering a broth based soup as an appetizer instead of creamy, buttery or fried items, picking the entree that is the lowest calorie option, asking for a lower calorie side like green beans or broccoli instead of potatoes. Requesting that sauces be served on the side or scraping off most of the sauce.  I would suggest figuring out what your "must have" items are and splurge on those and skip the things you can do without. For me, I wouldn't want to skip the bread (because I love bread!) but could skip the appetizer round easily. You may love desserts so you'd skip bread to be able to indulge in that. Try to set times for eating and avoid eating in between. I find it much easier to set a time on the clock and tell my self that I will not eat anything before that time. Stop eating before you're full and wait 5-10 minutes sipping your drink and see how you feel. If you're still hungry, order another course. If you're satisfied after soup, salad, and bread, stop eating. There is nothing that says you have to order all the courses. These are tips I use any time I eat out, not just cruises, but it works there, too! Great job and keep on working at it! It's hard to shift your mindset, but it's a great lifelong tool once you get it figured out. You'll find that you do it without even thinking about it eventually. 

• Like 3

On 1/29/2020 at 3:14 PM, disigny said:

Amazing work!!! I am interested in hearing tips as well. I normally gain 10+ pounds on a week's vacation and then keep going up for months after I get home! Really would love to maintain or at least keep it under 5 lbs and get back on track right away. The biggest thing for me would be to not drink alcohol...that alone would probably do the trick! Since that isn't h ow I want to spend my vacation, I'm going to drink LESS alcohol 🙂

• Like 2

No matter which ship.  I try to walk everywhere and avoid the elevators.  I used to love the older ships with the Promenade decks.  Also, we make sure to do a lot of walking and hence do a lot of DIY tours off the ship, hence, again lots of walking.  In terms of alcohol, I stay away from all the sugary drinks.  I am not big on going to the gym on the ship as I did years previously and always ended up catching a cold or a sore throat, so I avoid the gym entirely on ships.  At home, we have our own built in gym.   We normally have a small breakfast with lots of coffee (yeah, that is our big indulgence)  and coffee and salad for lunch and can then enjoy dinner.  But no breads on the table, sauces - we ask them to be put on the side, and no deserts.  Most taste horrible anyhow.  Most of the meals can be ordered half portion or appetizer size and we do that pretty often.  On longer cruises, we just do not go to the dining room at each night unless there is something special that we like on the menu.  You can check outside the dining room and see if you like the menu.  We also do like the buffet as many times there are special items there in the evening meals.  When cruising 15 days or more, one modifies one's eating and the 5 pm dining just no longer cuts it.  We like to watch the sunsets and those nights, we will simply have a salad for dinner.  After 15 nights, it just becomes, oh too much food.    Just because the food is there, does not mean it has to be eaten.  I cruise very often (4 to 5 times per year) and do not gain weight following the above.  I usually have a glass of wine each day as well.  The key as well for me is water.  Drink one glass before you eat anything, another glass during your meal and another after your meal and of course water throughout the day.    Also, water will ensure your skin looks good as well.  No need for expensive facial creams.

• Like 1

I have read "stay away from the buffet", but my husband and I found the buffet MUCH easier to control portions (and number of courses!), especially on Gala (aka formal) nights when extra courses are added in the MDR.

So figure out your weak points and avoid them!

• Like 2

Congratulations on your weight loss journey.  While you aren't giving specifics of your current eating plan, it is important to give your body a break from dieting, especially if you have been doing it for 1 year.  Stress can prevent further loss.  You may gain weight, but it will quickly come off again...That said, a cruise cannot be a free for all in your mind.

You didn't say which ship you are on.  I think that makes a difference.  I was on a reduced calorie meal plan when I went on the Allure and I did not gain weight.  I did not drink more than one drink per day, took the stairs everywhere and took advantage of the dancing party in the pool.  Use the hand concept when eating - a man uses 1-2 palm size portions of protein (meat, fish, veggie burger - scrape sauces off), 2 fistful sizes of vegetables (salad, broccoli), 1-1.5 fistful size of carb (fruit, rice, pasta) and a thumb of fat.  If you keep to just 3 meals a day like that, you should be fine.  Also, if you want to indulge in dessert, just take one forkful and ask the server to take it away.  

Additionally, as someone else said, ask for 1/2 or 1/4 portions.  That's what we do to cut down on waste - and never clean your plate.  Leave one or two bites (I calculate each forkful is about 100 calories).  And don't use your hands to eat anything - it helps to slow down how fast we eat.

Maybe it would help to take some protein bars along to help fill your stomach before meals.  

Hope this helps.  You've come a long way and it sounds like you are motivated to continue with a Healthy mindset.

• Like 1

This is an awesome thread!  I, too, find I do better at the buffet if I focus on salad/veggies first, then proteins, and finally (after much thought, hopefully!), some carbs or dessert (I try to choose one or the other, but am not always successful!).  I do like to snack in the afternoon, so I'll usually grab an apple or other piece of fruit to take back to the cabin.

• Like 1