70s Rock and Romance Cruise - discussion and questions

Honolulu Blue

got it..stay in communications with Star Vista..often they will run a dedicated shuttle from FLL airport to POM if a large group is flying in the day of or staying near the FLL Airport the night before and sometime provide a free shuttle back to FLL at the end of the cruise 

because of Artist copyright laws guests are not allow to film the concerts in the main showroom ..generally you can catch reruns of the evening concerts in your cabin on close circuit tv ..Star Vista will email you an information sheet prior to leaving home about logistical " can and cannot 

I always make a Memory Jazz Cruise Scrapbook for my cabin mate ( I'm old and old school ) and my grandson says I should learn about digital scrapbooks ...you can start now by collecting a paper trail of the artists memorabilia from that era (Detroit still has Brick & Mortar Old School Record Stores ) 

George C. makes great suggestions as well...you will find the schedule allows for formal interactions with the Artists but there will be ample opportunities for impromptu interactions ..the Artists are incredibly generous with their time and guests understand and respect giving them private time and space 

understand by design you will not be able to do it all but try to do a little of everything 

• Like 1

UPDATE:  I used my reservation invitation to take a look at cabin availability for the 70s Rock & Romance Cruise.  I was surprised at what I found.  There were a fair number of cabins available to me in all classes - even singles interiors, and even a couple of suites.  Did having a current booking make that much of a difference?

After this review, I made the executive decision to pass on my opportunity to book a cabin on this cruise.  As hattack warned me earlier, I didn't want to risk burnout by booking a B2B filled with music for my first time.  I do have regrets, because I really liked this lineup and it may not appeal to me quite as much next year.  And I won't get a chance to see George C's epic suite. 😥

That's all for now.

if I were smart I would have purchased a "B" share of  Berkshire Hathaway when it divided in the early 90's when I lived in Omaha and just before they purchased Dairy Queen when I had the opportunity and a few extra bucks 

if you like the line up and promise to start a training regiment this weekend then by all means pull the plug and book it..one never knows what will happen a year from now and NEVER pass on a chance to hang out with George C in his suite..by design on my Capital Jazz Super Cruises I would book the inside cabin in the very front of the  Carnival Conquest Class Ship on the Lido Deck (9th) across from the Suites that the Promoter assigned the Artists...one year I lucked out and Candy Dulfer & her Mom were in the suite, one year Chante Moore and her Mom...both were gracious to invite us for afternoon tea on a full day at sea 

the key is stamina and means..I wish I could do The Smooth Jazz Cruise, The Jazz Cruise & Blue Note at Sea B2B2B and the following month do the Soul Train Cruise & The Flower Power Cruise ..of course it would possible if I could have sold my "B;" share of Berkshire Hathaway and find a cabin mate who's musical palate was as robust as mine 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 11:57 AM, hattack said:

George C...so how was the cruise ? thinking about doing the 2021 Flower Power Cruise with my high school classmate that I reconnected with at our 50th High School Reunion last October in Upstate New York 

Cruise was great , wife is way more on a 70’s music fan than me , she is also from Buffalo area. Suite was amazing but you really do not spend that in your cabin , in fact one of our many perks was a liter of scotch of your choice and vodka we did not even opened them and just took them back with us. So much fun talking to artists, I told America how I loved there cover of Dylan my back pages, they said they worded on that song for a while. Loved Todd Rundgren so much we have tickets to see him again in NYC in May. Only act we didn’t care for was Cheap Trick. We booked same royal suite for next year , love these cruises but they are not that relaxing since there is always something to do. Ran into Steven Bishop in elevator going to his show . Might have tried to book Flower Power if they were back to back but they aren’t, many of these artist play both cruises. 

• Like 1

glad you both had a great time ...much like you, I value the impromptu interaction with the artists ..I once ran into George Clinton in the rest room off

the lobby near the atrium and we sang a chorus of his 1st hit "I want to Testify " ..perfect acoustics ...lol

I learned early that since one is never in the cabin to book an inside cabin and to impress a first time cabin mate an Ocean View 

went to college at SUNY Oswego in the late 60's and dated a nice coed that attended St Bonaventure and we went to see them play Niagara at Buffalo back when Bob Lanier vs Calvin Murphy...best part there was a massive snowstorm in the area and we were snowed in for 3 days in the Girl's Dorm (back in the day before Coed Dorms ) 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again.  I've been very quiet here, because there has been much to do and much to digest.  The highlights:

• I did decide to get travel insurance on my Ultimate Disco Cruise, including CFAR.  That was just before the cost of the latter spiked and the world went crazy.  I don't have any payments on it until July 1, so maybe things will settle down by then.
  • I'm not too worried about this cruise not going.  I have another cruise in November, and I'm not worried about that one, yet.  
  • I had a cruise that was scheduled to go out today.  I'm slowly but surely getting refunds of my payments and organizing my OBC.
  • The UDC has added The Spinners, which I'm happy about.
  • No one has dropped yet, which I'm also happy about, but I know it's early days.
  • I was taking a hard look at The 80s Cruise, which finally opened up its bookings to plebs like me last week.  The lineup looks pretty good, but I couldn't find a suitable single room.  So I had to let that one go, for now.  Perhaps it will be for the best.  

That's enough for now.  Back to the bunker.

We also always get insurance for all cruises and flights , also not worried about our November cruise. However still have a tiny bit of hope for our May New York trip but the odds are really against us there. Had several concerts scheduled for next few weeks they were all cancelled.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, George C said:

Wonder if performing artist will have second thoughts about doing these cruises?

I think they will, though there may or may not be any cancellations.  The 80s Cruise that sailed last month had some acts drop out.

if they can they will be there...these are their most loyal fans who spend big bucks to hang out with them..if this Public Health Crisis has taught us anything its to appreciate the artist and music of an era that we associate with our youth 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, if anyone else is around...

I just received a note in my e-mail box that the '70s Rock and Romance cruise scheduled for this year has been rescheduled for February 19-26, 2022.  Most of the same artists from the cruise that was scheduled to sail next year have committed to doing so for the new date.  They haven't confirmed the ship yet, but they say it will be the Infinity or a similar Celebrity ship.

That would seem to leave the Ultimate Disco Cruise in some jeopardy of the same fate, since it was scheduled for the cruise immediately after R&R.  Alas, I couldn't wait.  I decided to cancel.  With my CFAR insurance, I should get some money back - eventually.  I'm sure the UDC would be an a-ma-zing experience in '21 or '22, but I want to take some time to reevaluate what I truly want from life and what I'm willing to risk to get it.

I want to thank you all for commenting in this thread.  It gave me much to think about then, now, and as I move forward.

good bet UDC will be rescheduled for 2022 also ..I think we will all needed the double shot of therapy (music and cruising ) by then 

New Orleans without live music is a special kind of Hell

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hattack said:

good bet UDC will be rescheduled for 2022 also ..I think we will all needed the double shot of therapy (music and cruising ) by then 

New Orleans without live music is a special kind of Hell

Agree, agree, and I'll take your word for it.

UPDATE:  As was speculated, the Ultimate Disco Cruise (UDC) has been delayed and rescheduled to February 26-March 3, 2022.  The ship is now TBA, though they want to keep the Infinity or another Millennium class ship.  The itinerary is also now TBA.  They still plan to leave from Miami.  Most, if not all, of the bands and singers from the '21 cruise are heading to the new '22 cruise.

I might actually rebook this cruise for '22 if enough things go right.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/30/2020 at 12:30 PM, hattack said:

do it if you can..it will give you something to look forward to and longer time to pay for it 

Thanks.  I'm considering it.

I suppose it's time for another update.  Last week I received the reimbursement for my deposit.  Not bad, all things considered.  

I'm a hopeless optimist in that I believe that we'll eventually get control of this virus and break down the barriers between us again.  And that means these charters will run, if the businesses behind them can survive.  Will 2022 be soon enough?  I'm hoping.

The three hottest prospects for my money are...

• 70s Rock & Romance Cruise (February 19-26)
  • Ultimate Disco Cruise (February 26-March 3)
  • The 80s Cruise (March 5-12)

I could actually take a B2B2B with all three of them, but that would be suicide - death by "too much of a good thing".  Payment plans and cancellation policies have eased a bit.  I haven't checked the insurance yet, but I'm sure it'll cost more for less coverage.  Any of the three would give me a fantastic time, but there's no rush.  I'll keep living and make up my mind eventually.

in light of what everyone has been thru , we all deserve B2B2B (if one can afford it, if not do it anyway  ) in 2022 ..you might also consider seeking an independent Travel Insurance Policy outside of what the Charter Promoter has worked out with the cruise line 

Music is Therapy for many of us...the lack of live music performances (especially in New Orleans ) on top of everything else validates how important the full charter music cruises have become for us that enjoy them 

I subscribe to Pandora Music Service and have discovered some incredible young international Jazz Artists that I look forward seeing perform at future New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festivals 

VH One 'Unsung"  has some great retro segments on artists of the Disco Cruise Era that you can catch on You Tube 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hattack said:

in light of what everyone has been thru , we all deserve B2B2B (if one can afford it, if not do it anyway  ) in 2022 ..you might also consider seeking an independent Travel Insurance Policy outside of what the Charter Promoter has worked out with the cruise line 

Music is Therapy for many of us...the lack of live music performances (especially in New Orleans ) on top of everything else validates how important the full charter music cruises have become for us that enjoy them 

I subscribe to Pandora Music Service and have discovered some incredible young international Jazz Artists that I look forward seeing perform at future New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festivals 

VH One 'Unsung"  has some great retro segments on artists of the Disco Cruise Era that you can catch on You Tube 

Thanks again for sharing.

Yes, a lot of us are going to need or want a B2B2B filled with good music after getting through this.  I'll probably have to settle for the one music cruise in '22 and a couple of big concerts next year - if the virus will let me.

I'll have to get to those "Unsung" segments sometime.

On 7/28/2020 at 9:39 AM, hattack said:

We are also addicted to live music , have had many concerts canceled or postponed in Dallas and also on our previous planned New York City trip.  Luckily we have a couple of restaurants with live music which we visit weekly. One of the concerts that was canceled was Todd Rundgren who was amazing on February rock and romance we were going to see him in nyc in May, saw him hanging out at martini bar on the ship . 

• Like 1

we all Pray for a Vaccine for many reasons including for those of us that embraced full charter music cruises because of the importance of not having to social distance with our favorite music artists for a week of full immersion 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/30/2020 at 1:41 PM, hattack said:

we all Pray for a Vaccine for many reasons including for those of us that embraced full charter music cruises because of the importance of not having to social distance with our favorite music artists for a week of full immersion 

A vaccine is what these charter music cruises need most of all.  Part of the soul searching I've been doing for the past several months is am I willing to get one in order to go.  I've decided that I am.

In the intervening weeks since I last posted, my last booked regular cruise (which was scheduled to sail in October) was canceled.  I haven't rebooked any yet, partly because...

I decided to book yet another music cruise - this time it's The 80s Cruise.  They changed ships, which apparently led to more cabin openings.  I was able to slide myself into one.

A lot of things need to go right for this cruise to go off in March '22:

• The CDC needs to lift its current no sail order
  • ECP, the charter, needs to stay in business until then
  • Royal Caribbean needs to stay in business until then
  • The Mariner of the Seas needs to stay afloat until then
  • At least some of the artists need to stay healthy and alive
  • Some of the artists who are still around need to not get cold feet
  • America needs to get its case count down, at least in certain key locations
  • At least a few destinations need to welcome Americans again.  The locations on this cruise are Nassau, St. Thomas, and Sint Maarten, but I'm guessing those specific destinations aren't too important and can be replaced if needed.
  • We need fast, reliable testing
  • As mentioned above, we really need a safe, effective vaccine

You might think all of this would be easily accomplished, but there are no guarantees.  Who would have thought we would be here back in February?

Anyway, going through the checklist... great bands IMHO)?  Check.  Great musical era (IMHO)?  Check.  Affordable?  Quick check of bank balance... I think I can swing it.  Acceptable cabin?  Check.  Travel insurance (including CFAR)?  Check.  Reasonable down payment?  Check.  Acceptable monthly payments that seem to stretch until the end of time but are actually only until next October?  Check.  Excitement and hope through the doom and gloom?  Check.

Thanks everyone.  I hope life continues to treat you well.

book and pay for 2021 with the clear expectation that you will actually be cruising in that same time period 2022  and then thus start saving for 2023 ..Music Theme Charter Cruisers are loyal and stick with the promoter and have not cancelled and we know that a Vaccine protocol is critical to being able to enjoy the interactions with our favorite artists onboard all week and like minded fan base

I suspect if you asked most hard core music theme cruisers , no one really cares about Ports of Call..we would be content to call on St Thomas (shopping ) and a private island with a great beach with an ability to have a concert and beach party with our favorite artists and be contented with 5 Full Days at Sea in full immersion with the music 

during CV 19,  seeing our favorite musicians perform their music live on a charter cruise ship with 2500 like minded  Shelter in Place fans is  a form of therapy that  keeps us going thru these dark times and gives us a small beam of light we can  look forward to in 2022 and I;m sure the artists look forward to reconnecting with their fan base on the ship (and selling lots of CD's)

take a look at the 80's Cruise website and make note of all the former artists that have performed on past cruises and make a playlist of their hits ..every weekend (on project departure day ) sit on your front porch ( or back deck ) pour a drink and listen to your playlist and pretend you are sailing out of your Port of Departure 

i suspect no one will be cruising the balance of 2020 and it will take all of 2021 to figure out a protocol , so 2022 should be about right..glad to see you are sticking with selecting a music charter

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Ports definitely do not matter but I do love the beaches at St Maarten and wife loves shopping in St Thomas . Wife always has the bridge station on XM radio and it’s amazing how many of the artists that we have seen on rock and romance cruises are played there. Have a couple cruises scheduled for early 2021 have no idea if they will sail or not. Hope all is well we have a long wait to the next rock and romance cruise. 

• Like 1