Phone Cards

scapino

My DD cannot stand to spend this much time away (7 nights) from her boyfriend. I know that using the on board telephone, the per minute minute rate is prohibitively expensive. Can you tell me about calling cards that can be used from Western Itinerrary (Cayman, Cozumel, Ocho Rios). Costs, how to use, etc. Thank you very much for your assistance.

The least expensive method will be to buy a calling card in each port. Ask your room steward or waiters where the cheapest places to call from each island are and they should be able to give you suggestions.

You can't use calling cards in any of the ports and if you charge it to your credit card it costs a fortune. I called our son from a port when a hurricane hit Galveston and they charged me $37.50 for an incompleted call.

I have a stack of them in front of me and I still can't figure out how much it cost per minute either :D Got them as stocking stuffers this year, don't ask. Anyway they are worth $5 each and were distributed by World Wide Phone Card Marketing Corp. Guess maybe somewhere on the internet I can get info. Room stewards still like these, seems cash would be better.

teajack: You using a regular card tied to your home phone? That would be an issue I suppose but they make cards for making calls at so much a minute worldwide and it's not tied to your hoe phone. No visa needed you already paid for the card itself.

BonVoyage

Dawna

When I travel I leave my Mom (87) at home, and I am concerned about her and call every day that I am in port. Either I use my cell phone (international plan) which is quite inexpensive. If it doesn't work in port, I find a phone place and either buy a calling card that will work in their pay phones, or use an internet/phone place. You simply dial your phone number, and pay when you are finished. In the eastern Caribbean these calls only cost $2-$3 each.

It is actually quite easy to do.

Enjoy your cruse.

In Cozumel, we always buy a phone card at the mall downtown (across from the International Pier). The card costs $10.00 for 12 minutes. The store is a "drugstore" type on the first floor, towards the back of the mall next to an American fast food place (it's either Burger King or McDonald's; I don't remember). It's a really good deal and that way I can call and get to hear their voices and not just send an e-mail. The phones are upstairs (take the escalator). I was really nervous about these phone cards working, but after 4 years, we've used them everytime. It's really easy to use and the directions are on the card. Hope this info helps.

In Cozumel, we always buy a phone card at the mall downtown (across from the International Pier). The card costs $10.00 for 12 minutes. The store is a "drugstore" type on the first floor, towards the back of the mall next to an American fast food place (it's either Burger King or McDonald's; I don't remember). It's a really good deal and that way I can call and get to hear their voices and not just send an e-mail. The phones are upstairs (take the escalator). I was really nervous about these phone cards working, but after 4 years, we've used them everytime. It's really easy to use and the directions are on the card. Hope this info helps.

Archived