Big or Small ship?

marciab

We have done a fair amount of cruising, mostly in the Caribbean, getting away from winter weather, but  also  Bermuda, Panama Canal ,Iceland and Norway Fjords.  The majority of our cruises have been on Celebrity, actually just got off the Edge, but we also have cruised  RCCL.  We have Elite status, so some nice perks. 

Now that we have a place in Fl.. while any cruise is wonderful.... going to the Caribbean is just not as big of a deal  as it was when we were in Chicago for the winter..  So looking at new places to cruise and I think our next cruise will be Alaska, might be too late for this summer? If so then next. 

So my question is.. Big vs Small? We have only cruised on large ships. That being said, we were NOT a fan of Oasis/Allure..too big. I know they don't do that route,  but all others we have been on have been fine.  We enjoy the entertainment and activities on board, especially for carribean cruises, because we have been to all the ports. When we did Europe.. didn't do as many of the shows.. except on sea days. 

Just starting to look at Alaska itineraries which are all very port intensive, so  the entertainment and activities would be less important.  Am wondering if this might be the time to try a smaller ship?   Has anyone who has only done large ships gone to small for Alaska?  If so do you think it worth the extra $$?  And what IS the cost differences? We usually get a mid range Balcony, sometimes Concierge or Aqua Class.  Or is it just as good to stick with what you are used to . maybe  a smaller Celebrity or RCCL ship? 

Thanks for any insight! 

If it helps with your decision, we were on a 1300 passenger ship cruising SB from Seward and could come/go in ports as we pleased. Cruisers in one port off a much, much larger ship told us they had 'assigned gang plank times' if they wanted to leave their ship when it first docked with the gang plank 'open' later for coming/going.(Can't confirm but that's what they described.)

Perhaps as important as the size of your ship is to research how many total ships are in a specific port (Skagway or Sitka, for example) on the day your proposed cruise is there. Too many ships simultaneously in a port can overwhelm the small size and population of Alaskan ports (ex: Skagway pop 1,000+/-  or Sitka pop 8,000+/-) and significantly impact your port experience.

You can look up ports of call calendars on cruise timetable dot com. Search for the port, then go to the calendar for that port, and pick the date your proposed cruise stops there to see how many other ships will be in port that day.  

• Like 1

If you have never been to Alaska - pick an itinerary that goes to Glacier Bay. RCCL and Celebrity doesn't.

I would look at the Pacific Princess if you want to try a small ship on a main stream line.

Princess's one way cruises have 2 glacier days.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

We did 7 day southbound on Radiance of the Seas. I thought it was close to the perfect size but I'm not real big on shipboard entertainment. We have done several out of Galveston on Liberty. Found the Promenade a bit overwhelming when crowded. We are seriously thinking of one of the small ships with Seabourne, Alaska Dream or Lindblad.

Thank you  for your suggestions.. 

After reading through 100's and 100's  of posts and reviews.. and knowing we most likely will only do Alaska once ( still have 4/5 European cruises on the bucket list) I now know I want Glacier Bay on the Alaska itinerary.  So  I went to the very helpful Cruise Ship Schedule Calendar to see which ships went to Glacier Bay and made a list. The majority were Princess and HAL, + Cunard QE and Seabourn Sojourn .  Ruled out QE.. didn't want RT ,Seabourne only goes in Sep/Oct and is very costly, but was considering splurging for Alaska.  

After reviewing all the Princess and HAL ships.. am thinking I like the Pacific Princess.. even though we are pretty loyal Celebrity/RCCL cruisers, so many say Glacier Bay is a must.. and all the others say make sure there are at least two Glaciers and Pacific Princess does that..and  I   think I really like the idea of a smaller ship for  Alaska.  

I did also look at Alaska Dream and Lindblad.. and think they might be a little too less commercial for us.. like the idea.. but we are mid 60's and are used to the  luxury comforts of a major cruise line.  

This year looks pretty full for balcony or suites.. so will most likely try for 2021.. 

37 minutes ago, marciab said:

This year looks pretty full for balcony or suites.. so will most likely try for 2021.. 

I don't think the Pacific Princess will be in Alaska for 2021.

A friend absolutely loved American Cruise Lines in Alaska. A little bit different than some other lines.

Princes does a longer Alaska route in the past about every 2-3 years that is 12-14 days and on one of the smaller ships. This year it is on the Pacific Princess and I have not seen it listed for next year. It stops in more and smaller ports than the regular 7 day trips. I've done this several times in the past and am doing it this year on the Pacific. I've sailed Alaska almost 30 times over the years and can say my favorites were the small ship cruises.  HAL also has a 14 day cruise I believe on one of their mid size ships.

If I had to pick my idea Alaska cruise it would be two weeks mid June on the Pacific Princess. Small ship, no lines and longest daylight hours

10 hours ago, Coral said:

I don't think the Pacific Princess will be in Alaska for 2021.

Oh bummer! Well going to call TA today... will ask.. if not 2021, will see if we can get a good cabin this year.. 

7 hours ago, marciab said:

Oh bummer! Well going to call TA today... will ask.. if not 2021, will see if we can get a good cabin this year.. 

I like these ports, I like leaving from Vancouver because you get more ports /time in Alaska

https://www.princess.com/cruise-search/details?voyageCode=A031

I like that this one does Glacier Bay twice, Hubbard and goes to College Fjord, I think its sold out for Balconies (It was a few weeks ago so I booked the 10 day above) I don't like the Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan 2 times each although there is plenty to do different in each port. This one might see the 'Aurora borealis'

https://www.princess.com/cruise-search/details?voyageCode=1038A