Familiar with Greenock area?

jst4fun715

Will be on a cruise in May with a stop in Greenock (to go to Glasgow). I was in Glasgow years ago and while it was nice, I see on the map that Greenock is also close to Dunoon and that is where my brother was stationed a looonng time ago when the Holy Loch was still open. I really like smaller towns and villages so I would rather go to Dunoon and have a look around to see if anything looks at all familiar (and take some pictures for my brother). It looks like there is a public ferry but if anyone knows for sure, I would like to know. And anything in particular I shouldn't to miss? I was there once also, but that was in 1968!!!

1 hour ago, threetowner16 said:

Greenock cruise terminal to Gourock ferry is about 2,5 miles,you can get between the two  by train from Greenock , or McGill buses, or probably easier for you to take a taxi, 

Thanks for the info and yes, I think a taxi would be easiest! From the looks of the schedule of the ferries and the proximity of the ship to the ferry, this "plan" is certainly doable in a day, right? Thanks again for your reply.

I love that part of the world -especially on a sunny day! The last time we ported in Greenock we went down to Weymss Bay and took the ferry over to Rothesay. It was a wet day but the sun came out as we left Greenock --totally gorgeous. I spent many summers in Largs when I was a young teen. Enjoy! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Will be on a cruise in May with a stop in Greenock (to go to Glasgow). I was in Glasgow years ago and while it was nice, I see on the map that Greenock is also close to Dunoon and that is where my brother was stationed a looonng time ago when the Holy Loch was still open. I really like smaller towns and villages so I would rather go to Dunoon and have a look around to see if anything looks at all familiar (and take some pictures for my brother). It looks like there is a public ferry but if anyone knows for sure, I would like to know. And anything in particular I shouldn't to miss? I was there once also, but that was in 1968!!!

I have been away, but if it isn't too late, you might find it both helpful and interesting to read Toms port guide to Greenock:

https://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/greenock_scotland-08-28-2012.pdf

Pages 1-4 are relevant to you with mention of the US base SUBRON 14 and a link to WIKI Holy Loch.

Edited by edinburgher

1 hour ago, edinburgher said:

I have been away, but if it isn't too late, you might find it both helpful and interesting to read Toms port guide to Greenock:

https://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/greenock_scotland-08-28-2012.pdf

Pages 1-4 are relevant to you with mention of the US base SUBRON 14 and a link to WIKI Holy Loch.

Wow, thanks so much for that info. I've just quickly gone over it but interesting and I think that will be very helpful. I'm also going to pass it along to my brother. In the Wiki reference, I saw the name of the ship he was on which was the Simon Lake. His "job" while there was to shuttle the guys from the ship to the shore in Dunoon and he loved it as well as the area!

2 hours ago, threetowner16 said:

The USNavy shore facilities were in Sandbank , which is about 2.5 miles north of the ferry pier in Dunoon, the site is now the Holy Loch marina

I remember my brother talking about Sandbank. I'm sure he would love to be making this trip too!

Not sure if I'll be doing the side trip to Dunoon or not. My brother who had been stationed there passed away suddenly on Monday. I was going mostly for him, but I like smaller villages too and may still go one more time in his honor and see that beautiful area again.  Still trying to process it all! Again, I appreciate all of the information you all have provided.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2020 at 11:07 AM, jst4fun715 said:

Not sure if I'll be doing the side trip to Dunoon or not. My brother who had been stationed there passed away suddenly on Monday. I was going mostly for him, but I like smaller villages too and may still go one more time in his honor and see that beautiful area again.  Still trying to process it all! Again, I appreciate all of the information you all have provided.

So sorry for your sudden loss. 

We are in Greenock on May 10 and as luck would have it, the first Highland Games of the season is taking place very close by in Gourock.  Seeing it will be a lark and we're quite excited.

https://scotlandwelcomesyou.com/scottish-highland-games/