Jeans and button up allowed for dress up night on Harmony?

kathy884

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Times have changed. Unless you have traditional dining you are not sitting with 10 people unless you are traveling with them. I would say that the majority who slum it, myself included have my time dining. Having had the opportunity to eat in both my time and the traditional dining room on the same cruise (my time was full on the second night) I can tell you that they do dress up more so in traditional. Our party of 5 were dressed casual no shorts but my son and friend wore jeans.  It's a shame that people are just so up tight that they worry about what strangers think.  This attitude comes directly from my 87 yr old mothers generation and I never bought into it. Life is too short to care how my fellow cruise passenger dress. You do You and stop judging others.

This is it exactly.  It’s mostly the older generation that thinks it’s wrong. 
And they have stalled in time.   Times are changing every day you can either change with time.  Or stand still in it.   

• Like 2

So everyone is judging us "old people" who claim that they don't judge.  It's ironic.  Times haven't changed.  It is still true that certain times and events call for dressing a certain way.  The first time I meet a person, and this goes for those who claim they don't judge, will be the first time I make a judgement.  Those other people (who don't judge) might judge me as an old timer and living in the past.  There is nothing wrong with dressing up on formal night when formal night is announced and you know that it will happen.  So, everyone that does not dress up, will be noticed.  It is, and always be human nature to make a judgement, and it is don't both ways.  So if I am eating dinner, and it is advertised as formal, or dress your best, or any other similar item, I am going to look and feel my part.  I won't be making a statement by wearing a t-shirt.  But I will in my mind judge you if you did not bother dressing nice for the evening.

17 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

This is it exactly.  It’s mostly the older generation that thinks it’s wrong. 
And they have stalled in time.   Times are changing every day you can either change with time.  Or stand still in it.   

They are also the ones who like traditional dining and droning on and on with the waitstaff which why I avoid traditional dining. Too many bad experiences before My time dining was a thought. I bribed the Maitre D' a few times to switch my table.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joseph2017China said:

So everyone is judging us "old people" who claim that they don't judge.  It's ironic.  Times haven't changed.  It is still true that certain times and events call for dressing a certain way.  The first time I meet a person, and this goes for those who claim they don't judge, will be the first time I make a judgement.  Those other people (who don't judge) might judge me as an old timer and living in the past.  There is nothing wrong with dressing up on formal night when formal night is announced and you know that it will happen.  So, everyone that does not dress up, will be noticed.  It is, and always be human nature to make a judgement, and it is don't both ways.  So if I am eating dinner, and it is advertised as formal, or dress your best, or any other similar item, I am going to look and feel my part.  I won't be making a statement by wearing a t-shirt.  But I will in my mind judge you if you did not bother dressing nice for the evening.

As you judge.  No one said there’s anything wrong with dressing up. If that’s what your generation wants to do. Then So be it , have it and enjoy yourself.   
but people that come here and say people who wear shorts are disrespecting them that’s judging.     
get over it and just enjoy yourself. Don’t worry about what the younger generations wearing.    They paid just as much as you did for the cruise sometimes more.  
so

leave the judging to the hired help.  If they want to stop someone for wearing shorts that’s their job NOT YOURS.    

13 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

There is nothing wrong with dressing up on formal night when formal night is announced and you know that it will happen.  So, everyone that does not dress up, will be noticed.  

There is a time and place for dressing up and I think that anyone on this tread knows when it is appropriate in everyday life. It is no longer the norm to conform to outdated dress codes on most cruise lines especially Royal Caribbean. From what I have seen the majority has ruled and  casual out numbers formal.  On a Princess cruise it is the opposite.  That line skews older and even pushing 60 I would still be seated at the children's table with my cousins.

19 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

There is a time and place for dressing up and I think that anyone on this tread knows when it is appropriate in everyday life. It is no longer the norm to conform to outdated dress codes on most cruise lines especially Royal Caribbean. From what I have seen the majority has ruled and  casual out numbers formal.  On a Princess cruise it is the opposite.  That line skews older and even pushing 60 I would still be seated at the children's table with my cousins.

I was on NCL in August and it was the same relaxed dress code.  Granted it was Alaska , but still casual dress was the norm. And I still wore shorts every night.  No problem.  

like you said. There’s a time and place for everything.   I’ll wear a jacket most weddings in the US.  But on an island wedding.  Shorts all the way.  
funerals. For sure a suite jacket.    Unless other attire was requested.  

Don’t judge buy the clothes someone wears.  Judge by the person wearing them. 

No judging while I’m gone. Have a long flight home after 2 weeks vacation.  Lolol.   

Edited by Ptroxx
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Times haven't changed.  It is still true that certain times and events call for dressing a certain way. 

For me, this is the central point of dress code and formal night. I think the vast majority of people accept that certain events deserve to dress the right way - a wedding, a funeral, a job interview, etc. In my opinion a RC formal night just doesn’t tick the box. The location and food is the same as other nights. There’s nothing special about it other than someone printed it in the cruise compass. Just my two cents ...

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

So if I am eating dinner, and it is advertised as formal, or dress your best, or any other similar item, I am going to look and feel my part..... But I will in my mind judge you if you did not bother dressing nice for the evening.

If they are dressing their best and it’s just not up to your standard, now you are judging. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

I am old. I don't judge a person's character by the clothes they have on. I judge people on their character. I would much rather sit with a person in shorts, wife beater, and backwards baseball cap who is a good conversationalist, doesn't gossip, pays attention to his fellow tablemates and is polite rather than a person in a tux or gown staring at others around the room, looking down their nose at people who are not dressed to their standards judging their character/class from afar.

I honestly could not tell you what the person sitting at the table next to me is wearing. I am too focused on my family at our dinner table.

The people who would take stock and make it a point to notice what others are wearing would not be anyone I would want to know. I prefer old time manners not gawking judgemental people.

I attend enough black tie charity events that it is not happening on vacation. But the most gracious people at these black tie events are the ones that make others feel comfortable and welcome no matter what they chose ed to wear. The ones judging are the ones that are gauche and insecure about their selves.

And yes times change. You only have to compare dress 100 years ago to today.

Edited by cured
  • Like 2

Well I must say, being of the "Older Generation" we are the best looking, best dressed, most respectful ( most of the time) generation at the present time.  Hats off to you seniors!  Keep up the good work and let everyone else dress as they may.  Times are a changin...God help us!  😂