Jeans and button up allowed for dress up night on Harmony?

kathy884

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

If you are sitting at a table for 10 and everyone but you dresses up, and you show up in Jeans, or worse yet, shorts and a t-shirt, that would fall under the definition of being disrespectful.  Times haven't changed, and acting certain ways, dressing certain ways, and having manners all still exist for the majority.  Every person you meet, will make a judgement about you, and too many people, they really don't care.  But to others, it will be noticed.  I believe the majority will notice.  So respecting the dress for the evening is still part of cruises.

You can only speak for yourself.

On your next cruise please advise the staff at the entrance to the MDR what your opinion is on those not respecting the suggested dress guidelines.   

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

If you are sitting at a table for 10 and everyone but you dresses up, and you show up in Jeans, or worse yet, shorts and a t-shirt, that would fall under the definition of being disrespectful.  Times haven't changed, and acting certain ways, dressing certain ways, and having manners all still exist for the majority.  Every person you meet, will make a judgement about you, and too many people, they really don't care.  But to others, it will be noticed.  I believe the majority will notice.  So respecting the dress for the evening is still part of cruises.

Ahahahahaha you are sooooo wrong. Times, they definitely are a changing no matter what you may think. And if people want to be judgemental then so be it, it's their right (even though it's pretty sad).....just like it's a person's right to wear what they want to dinner. And to equate what you are wearing with having manners??? AHAHAHAHA that's rich......

Enjoy your cruise, don't pay attention to what people are wearing.....just have fun and enjoy life!!

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Believe me I'm not judging anyone based on what they wear. I could care less. Only the staffs opinion matters IMO. 

Yup.   That’s all that matters.  And they don’t care anymore as long as your enjoying yourself.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CruiseWendy said:

You can honestly wear whatever you want just be prepared for those disapproving looks coming your way. 🙂 I appreciate a devil may care attitude myself as long as you are clothed. 

We could care less! It goes both ways concerning the evening dress guidelines. Here's our 2017 experience with a noisy idiot.

March 2017, JOS, third night, second leg of our B2B cruise. We decided to dress formally on a "suggested casual dress evening". We were celebrating a special occasion. As we were entering the MDR for MTD reservation I heard a little loudmouth lady (I use the term lady loosely) say "I guess they didn't read that paper thing in our cabin telling us what we have to wear tonight". I spun around look down at both her and her husband (or whomever he was) and said, "no I didn't read the Cruise Compass in your cabin. What did it say".  They both just stood there like slugs.  I then gave both of them a big smirking smile while shaking my head, turned around and continued on. After my wife and I were seated, ordered our wine, made a toast to each other and then we both had a good laugh and enjoyed our meal. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Nangelina said:

It's amazing to me that people can't get dressed up one night in their life and look their best.  I guess if that's what you'd look like at someone's wedding or a special social affair then by all means where your everyday look.  It's one night folks!!  Who knows, maybe you'll like it. 

Ok, I'm ready.  Give me all your snarly backlash!  I can take it.  😂

A lot of us dress up fairly often in our "regular" lives, so dressing up on vacation is a no thanks. 

Besides, most weddings offer better food than Royal Caribbean's dining room 😉

• Like 3

IMO, either ignore all the rules and suggested behavior and dress codes or follow them all. It even relates to everyday life, you don't get to say, "The first amendment gives me the right of free speech so I'll say what I want", then try to stop me from exercising my 2nd amendment rights because you don't like that one.

On RCL, on certain nights, there is a suggested dress code. If you don't want to follow it then eat in the buffet or cruise NCL which has no dress code. The excuse that it cramps your style, and "It's MY vacation I'll wear what I want" is a load of BS, unless you are going to excuse the chair hogs and the folks smoking on their balconies. "It's THEIR vacation too, why can't they behave like they want?" I know the answer to this, they can't because it offends YOU! The people here saying dress more appropriately are asking you to because your behavior is offending them. You don't get to say, "too bad", not and continue to be a part of the society on board that ship. RCL not enforcing their rules or suggestions isn't an excuse. Following rules, and doing your best to co-exist peacefully with others is called being an Adult, the problem is being an Adult about stuff has gone the same way as Common Sense. It's getting really hard to find in the wild. Meanwhile the folks acting like petulant children are taking over the show.  

The rules and suggestions are there so EVERYONE has an opportunity to co-exist peacefully. By their very nature there will be rules YOU don't like, and ones I don't like, but if none of us thinks we are just so much of an extra special snowflake that we should get to do what we want, then everyone can enjoy themselves.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, kathy884 said:

Packing light and DH wondered if he could get away with just wearing jeans on formal nights with a button up.  Or would you recommend throwing in a pair of dockers and dressier shoes?  Thanks so much.  We are packing for flight tomorrow, two nights in Orlando, and a cruise Sunday on the Harmony of the Seas.  Can't wait.

Absolutely!  We just got off the Oasis last Sunday and I too worried about the dress code before we left.  I will not make that mistake again.  Most everyone in the dining room were enjoying themselves and engaged in conversation at their tables and was not the least bit concerned with the way other people were dressed.  I suppose you will occasionally experience some people that feel differently about this subject and I kinda feel sorry for them because why would they waste their time while on  vacation on what someone is wearing.  

With that being said, my husband did wear Docker type pants and a dress shirt on the 2 formal night but Jeans would have been fine.  And BTW he wore shorts the other nights.  No comments or rolling of eyes were observed.  😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, HalfHand said:

On RCL, on certain nights, there is a suggested dress code. If you don't want to follow it...

No, there is a suggested dress guideline for every night in the MDR. Published in the Cruise Compass.

So that was you behind us on our 2017 Jewel cruise that was playing FP. 

Edited by davekathy

Seriously cruise -vacation- lighten up. This is not a rule nor a law.... not everyone feels comfortable in a shirt w a tie or a dressy dress.. I think those who do look glorious beautiful handsome... but once we sit down does it really matter .... is it so important for the 5 minute walk to your dinning room chair to dress up

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Nangelina said:

It's amazing to me that people can't get dressed up one night in their life and look their best.  I guess if that's what you'd look like at someone's wedding or a special social affair then by all means where your everyday look.  It's one night folks!!  Who knows, maybe you'll like it. 

We've been there and done that for formal nights.  We travel from Australia and are away from home for  four - six weeks with the cruise just being a part of our travels plans so to pack formal or dressy outfits including shoes for just one or two nights isn't reasonable.  We don't go to the main dining room on these nights we go to the Windjammer.  It's our holiday as much as anyone else's, we're just there to have a good time and have some great experiences.

14 hours ago, HalfHand said:

IMO, either ignore all the rules and suggested behavior and dress codes or follow them all. It even relates to everyday life, you don't get to say, "The first amendment gives me the right of free speech so I'll say what I want", then try to stop me from exercising my 2nd amendment rights because you don't like that one.

On RCL, on certain nights, there is a suggested dress code. If you don't want to follow it then eat in the buffet or cruise NCL which has no dress code. The excuse that it cramps your style, and "It's MY vacation I'll wear what I want" is a load of BS, unless you are going to excuse the chair hogs and the folks smoking on their balconies. "It's THEIR vacation too, why can't they behave like they want?" I know the answer to this, they can't because it offends YOU! The people here saying dress more appropriately are asking you to because your behavior is offending them. You don't get to say, "too bad", not and continue to be a part of the society on board that ship. RCL not enforcing their rules or suggestions isn't an excuse. Following rules, and doing your best to co-exist peacefully with others is called being an Adult, the problem is being an Adult about stuff has gone the same way as Common Sense. It's getting really hard to find in the wild. Meanwhile the folks acting like petulant children are taking over the show.  

The rules and suggestions are there so EVERYONE has an opportunity to co-exist peacefully. By their very nature there will be rules YOU don't like, and ones I don't like, but if none of us thinks we are just so much of an extra special snowflake that we should get to do what we want, then everyone can enjoy themselves.

Comparing the Constitution to a suggested dress policy on the family friendly cruise line yet you call other people snowflakes? Time for a quick mirror check there Frosty......

Edited by Mapleleafforever
spelling
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Jeans can be a bit "heavy" if packing light.  Chinos might be a "lighter" choice.  But even if they turn you away from MDR, there are plenty of spots to eat at.

I know there have been a few reports of people getting turned away for wearing shorts.. but I’ve never heard of getting turned away for wearing jeans?

22 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

If they made a button up in the design of the T-shirt tux shirt I’d have gotten that.  And good eye. It is still a T-shirt.   
just proves even more how relaxed the dress code has gotten.  

and I’ve been around 57 years.  And never owned one till now and got compliments all night in the dinning room and out on deck 5 walking around to all the bars and shops.  

A classmate wore the long sleeve version to prom in 1979.

14 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

I know there have been a few reports of people getting turned away for wearing shorts.. but I’ve never heard of getting turned away for wearing jeans?

Me neither. I’ve only heard of people being turned away for tank tops.  Never heard of it for shorts.

Edited by A&L_Ont

22 hours ago, Nangelina said:

It should be only one night but they drag this charade out for 2 nights with the second night having less passengers dressed up than the first. I guess after the first night the newbies catch on and dress accordingly.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

If they made a button up in the design of the T-shirt tux shirt I’d have gotten that.  And good eye. It is still a T-shirt.   
just proves even more how relaxed the dress code has gotten.  

and I’ve been around 57 years.  And never owned one till now and got compliments all night in the dinning room and out on deck 5 walking around to all the bars and shops.  

The more I see that picture the more I think that you may have been over dressed. 

20 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

Maybe you should stop throwing jabs at me on every post.   
the question the op asked was is it ok the wear jeans.   And my post was even shorts and a T-shirt is ok.    

so move along and Grow up.   

drees how ever you want.  People don’t care.   

I find it interesting that you tell another poster to "grow up". You are the individual who is ignoring the sign that says "no shorts at dinner". The staff won't stop you because they've been instructed not to confront the guests but it doesn't mean shorts are formal Wear. 

5 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

I find it interesting that you tell another poster to "grow up". You are the individual who is ignoring the sign that says "no shorts at dinner". The staff won't stop you because they've been instructed not to confront the guests but it doesn't mean shorts are formal Wear. 

I find it interesting that you can’t read.  
Where’s there a sign that says no shorts ?????  
Go back and read the CC I posted from 2 weeks ago.  
No were  does it say. NO SHORTS. 
  So yes.  Grow up and move along.   

19 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Times have changed. Unless you have traditional dining you are not sitting with 10 people unless you are traveling with them. I would say that the majority who slum it, myself included have my time dining. Having had the opportunity to eat in both my time and the traditional dining room on the same cruise (my time was full on the second night) I can tell you that they do dress up more so in traditional. Our party of 5 were dressed casual no shorts but my son and friend wore jeans.  It's a shame that people are just so up tight that they worry about what strangers think.  This attitude comes directly from my 87 yr old mothers generation and I never bought into it. Life is too short to care how my fellow cruise passenger dress. You do You and stop judging others.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Nangelina said:

I think it's more that people"including myself", don't feel that a cruise ship vacation is a place that "requires you" to have a dress up night. You're on vacation, you're relaxing, no worries, no stress, you're here to do what you want or nothing. Why throw a formal dress up night into that scene. Weddings, special social affairs, etc are "SPECIAL", out of the ordinary events that the HOSTS requests you dress in a certain manner.

Edited by lowbass
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, HalfHand said:

Your analogies are exceedingly poor and suggest a gross misunderstanding of the US Constitution and Bill of Rights.

• Like 3